Love Death and Robots

cassidy

17 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

My Netflix thinks I'm straight, closely followed by whatever sexuality spider fellatio falls under.  Not sure what I've been watching to make it think I'm straight.

Adam Sandler movies? 

I burned through this over the weekend, it's patchy and there's a lot of pointless gratuitous nudity as people mentioned  but ultimately it's interesting in both the animation and some of  the stories. 

19 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Clueless about this, how long is each episode? and is there a list of the best ones? I don't want to go through all of them.

There are eighteen episodes in total, ranging from about eight minutes to about fifteen minutes I think.

I'm sure everyone will be different in regards to which ones they liked.

Story wise, my favourites were:
Three Robots
The Witness
When The Yogurt Took Over
Helping Hand
Lucky 13
Alternate Histories

For the visuals alone:
Beyond the Aquila Rift
The Dump
Shape-Shifters
Fish Night
Zima Blue

Sonnie's Edge

None are in any order, just thinking of each episode and what I remembered.

6 minutes ago, Capwn said:

Hmm, I'm interested in this both artistically and in terms of narrative so I better just watch them all. Though it kind of sounds like everyone sees the first as bad? So perhaps start in at episode 2?

We all like different things - personally I thought 3 Robots was terrible.  I think generally the writing is weak throughout and the 'adult' content often feels like it's some sort of contractual obligation rather than something that springs naturally from the story.  I would have thought this was the best thing ever when I was 15.

In terms of visuals and direction I think they are all worth watching.  I like that they are all pretty nippy and never get boring.

3 hours ago, JPickford said:

We all like different things - personally I thought 3 Robots was terrible

You monster.

Edit: And finished. Mostly pretty shite, lame and nonsensical. More than half had unnecessary nudity and/or sexual violence. The writing was pretty cack throughout. None of these ideas warrant any further development.

If they do this again they need a grown-up in charge and a proper writers’ room.

Hopefully they’ll spend the money on something better.

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2019 at 17:54, Capwn said:

Hmm, I'm interested in this both artistically and in terms of narrative so I better just watch them all. Though it kind of sounds like everyone sees the first as bad? So perhaps start in at episode 2?

Since we've established they're in a different order for different people, that's meaningless.

FWIW, my first episode was Three Robots, then Sonnie's Edge, The Witness and Suits.

Thought they were all at least good, definitely all worth watching. The Witness is the best one.

I’ve only watched the first one (monster fight), not a great story but technically interesting. I hate that style of animation though, more interested in what I can see in the thumbnails for others.

Had a quick squizz in the thread and very thrilled to see Zima Blue is a story, hope they do it justice because it is a superlative slice of SF.

• 2 years later...

I wondered if we'd still be getting a second series.

Shame about the long wait, but happy its being made.

As above, found the first to be incredibly technically impressive (and with the mixed art direction there's something for everyone), but the writing was pretty immature in every meaning of the word. Granted the short runtimes limit how much subtlety you can get in there, but that trailer inspires confidence about as much as a trailer can. 

Now to go back and watch it a couple more times. :)

2 hours ago, monkeydog said:

2022. :(

45 minutes ago, Vulgar Monkey said:

I wondered if we'd still be getting a second series.

Shame about the long wait, but happy its being made.

Not that long a wait for the first batch! The dates at the end of the trailer are:

Volume 2 - May 14 [2021]

Volume 3 - 2022

The way the trailer presents them, it's easy to miss that they're two separate dates.

16 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Not that long a wait for the first batch! The dates at the end of the trailer are:

Volume 2 - May 14 [2021]

Volume 3 - 2022

The way the trailer presents them, it's easy to miss that they're two separate dates.

Haha I was half watching the trailer first time and saw the volume 3 date come up and was confused thinking maybe the second volume had already come out

Today I learned that Tim Miller was behind this (Deadpool director), and that he was once the effects producer for Mass Effect 2. Huh. 

I enjoyed this what for it was - slices of high concept sci-fi wrapped in some lovely visual effects. The scripts were largely awful and I until I checked this thread again I had forgotten how immature some of it came across. 

Looking forward to vol 2, it's something different to watch at least. 

• 4 weeks later...

Vol. 2 out and watched in two sittings. 

Some spoiler free thoughts.... My enjoyment of this series comes down to wondering what the next style is and what sci-fi twist each episode is, even if often the execution isn't anything Earth-shattering.  Volume 2 satisfied that itch again but still doesn't have much that makes me wishing for a full film or series based on any one of the concepts. 

I'd say the concepts are less 'out there' this time around and strangely one concept is repeated twice, though admittedly in a very, very different setting.  There's also less gratuity here which is an improvement in my opinion. 

Brief thoughts on each episode, but I won't spoil the concept of any of them or of course the story. I won't even list the episode title. 

Episode 1

A slightly off-putting style and quite frankly ugly characters, and a dull concept done better elsewhere. Although played for laughs it just didn't work for me. 

Episode 2

A very bold style that grew on me through the running time. Visually really nice by the end. I like these glimpses into wild sci-fi worlds and this did a pretty good job in teasing something a lot more interesting, even if the episode itself wasn't particularly so. 

Episode 3

Probably the darkest tone of them all and visually impressive. Tried to fit in a lot in a short space of time and although I can see some people rating this one as the best in the series I didn't think it quite worked. 

Episode 4

Visually stunning to the point I questioned if I was watching CGI or real actors. Although a simple story it worked quite well. Not original at all (none of them are!) but enjoyable and one of the highlights. 

Episode 5

Like a Telltale game but made several generations ahead, this looked, moved and was scripted like a game. Watchable. 

Episode 6

Forgettable and quite honestly it is a take that's been done many times before, though it's passable and some of the animation raised a smile. 

Episode 7

Another visual stunner and one of the best here. Manages to generate a lot tension in a short time. Much of the episode is a similar theme to another in this series but done so much better here. Tries to do some extra world-building that doesn't amount to much but is none the less welcome. 

Episode 8

A very welcome change of pace that gives time to explore a theme in more detail. I enjoyed watching this one and another contender for the best in the series. 

Less edgy than S1 with none of its lows but it didn't top the best episodes of S1 either, like Zimba Blue. I liked Pop Squad and The Drowned Giant best. Both absolutely gorgeous and both with an interesting premise and clear message. 

Pop Squad is based on a short story by Paolo Bacigalupi, which explains its bleakness. His book The Windup Girl is very good.

Are any of them a rendering showcase like Beyond the Aquila Rift was? the impressions on this are pretty mixed. The original series was all over the shop in terms of quality.

1 hour ago, mushashi said:

Are any of them a rendering showcase like Beyond the Aquila Rift was? the impressions on this are pretty mixed. The original series was all over the shop in terms of quality.

Yes there are two episodes, maybe 3 episodes, that are very impressive, one of which might be the best CGI I've ever seen (episode 4). I genuinely don't know if it was all CGI or a mixture of real footage and CG over the top.