Sign in to follow this  
Yuujiin

Switch - Too many ports?? (Ports Die Twice)

I'll take more ports. My only real complaint is that sometimes they are a bit on the pricey side. But then I guess I am paying for the added benefit of playing the games anywhere (still awaiting a rooftop party invite). 

Can we turn this into a Switch Port Wishlist Thread? I'd very much like the following ported to Switch:

Hotline Miami 1 + 2

Kid Icarus Uprising

Hidden in Plain Sight 

No More Heroes 1 + 2

Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2

Super Mario 3D World

Metroid Prime Trilogy 

Timesplitters 2 + 3

Burnout 2 + 3

Halo 

Full SNES, N64 and GC library

Thanks. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Azrael said:

Can we turn this into a Switch Port Wishlist Thread? I'd very much like the following ported to Switch:

Hotline Miami 1 + 2

Kid Icarus Uprising

Hidden in Plain Sight 

No More Heroes 1 + 2

Super Mario Galaxy 1 + 2

Super Mario 3D World

Metroid Prime Trilogy 

Timesplitters 2 + 3

Burnout 2 + 3

Halo 

Full SNES, N64 and GC library

Thanks. 

Sega Soccer Slam.

Whoever said gaming has a rich back-catalogue that needs to be taken forward with us each generation is right. 

However I do wish that Nintendo especially, would make this a persistent digital Virtual Console. I'd happily pay a sub if it meant I could access any past Nintendo game on their onlone service. I know that this is unlike to happen given that they sell Gameboy games on the 3DS for £8.

As it is though, most of their stuff is just dormant. Neither making money for them or getting paid. I would object to them charging for each individual title if they had it all up there. Instead we get a painfully slow dripfeed of select titles, before it's on to the next generation of consoles and we start again. Why aren't old games persistently available? 

Anyway, I don't mind ports personally, as I left the UK and my Wii U behind back in 2014 and barely got through any titles for it bar MK and Super Mario Bros. So a lot of these ports are brand new. I'm guessing, given the uptake on the Wii U, this is the same for a lot of people, and also Nintendo's reasoning behind the rereleases. I'd feel differently if I'd actually played them, I guess. 

I can see why it must be annoying for those who rinsed the Wii U. It'd be interesting to see how the two systems compared over a two year period, and what games were released for each. I know the Wii U also got quite a few ports (the Zelda games, Monster Hunter, loads of third party stuff) and that it probably didn't host anything quite up to the standard of Breath of the Wild (2 years in, anyway) and Mario Odyssey. But I would imagine that actually, the two systems probably had a similar number of good first party stuff at the respective points in their lives. 

What I do feel, is that the Wii U was arguably the more daring system. This is a little odd, given that I actually think Nintendo dialled back on their own tablet controller and never really utilised as well as they should have, but I do think that perhaps the Wii U's output was a little more diverse. 

This is countered by the fact that the Switch has basically become my indie game platform of choice. I used to get that stuff on my PS4 and Vita but now I'll automatically just get it on the Switch. It's great for that stuff, and really helps the gaps between releases. 

I guess we don't really know if ports actually stop or slow down new releases or not. My inkling is that even if we didn't have ports, the new titles would still be releasing around the same time. 

And yeah, there is a sense that Nintendo know we will pay for portable versions of their recent stuff. They are absolutely right on this.  But I also think most gamers want portable versions of their games. In this sense, is it taking advantage of that or pandering to your audience. 

I imagine most people complaining of ports on the Switch, nevertheless have a dream port stuffed in the back of their mind that they would clamour over and immediately buy should it be re-released. So it's definitely not always a case of "ports=bad", but obviously as it's an older game, everyone's mileage with a port differs. Not a new title, where obviously the entire world has never played it until release, you get a much more mixed audience for an older game. 

Saying that, the prices are definitely off. But again, this is perceived value. I've never played Hyrule Warriors. By and large, it's a mammoth game with load of content and has received a lot of praise on here. If I bought it for £30-40 I could easily get my money's worth out of it. But I played and finished Super Mario Bros U so wouldn't want to play that again for anything more than £15. At that price point it would definitely get my attention, but I'm not desperate. 

So even price is an odd thing to judge. What is a brand new experience for some is maybe going to deter people who have played it and would only revisit it if it was cheap. 

It's also the age old argument of whether Wind Waker, which was worth £40 in 2003 is still worth that in 2019. It's still the same game and the HD port obviously improved it even, but then some gamers don't like the idea of the price tag holding up 15 years later. But then, age is never really a determiner of value or price in other industries. I wouldn't expect to pick up, say, the first Harry Potter book or Apocalypse Now for a quid despite them being 20 or 40 years old now. They generally get re-released or republished (with fancy new covers too). 

Price and value are hugely subjective. I wasn't interested in Mario and Rabbids, a brand new game and a brand new IP which was highly praised, at full price. But as soon as it was £15 I immediately snapped it up and wanted to play it. I'll probably find out what value I attach to it once I do play it. 

So yeah, we've all just wasted 10 minutes of our lives watching me sit on the fence. Good job everyone. 

• Upvote 3

Not enough ports as already been said.  There are several games missing from the Switch catalogue.  GTA V is a big one, the virtual console dripfeed is annoying, loads of indie games, several first party games from Wii U and several big upcoming games are missing a Switch port perhaps as they are too demanding to port.  

More ports please! 

I got DKC Tropical Freeze at Christmas and will pick up New Super Mario Bros U Delux before too long, so I’m hoping for Super Mario 3D Land this year. 

I only recently got Mario + Rabbids and have yet to get Splatoon 2 or Smash Bros. There are still so many new games I don’t own, ignoring ports and indies.

They've still got a ways to go, but Nintendo do seem to have at least looked up the word 'sale' in a dictionary, & that's what I wait for for the ports I really want.  That's how I got Tropical Freeze, though I decided not to get Captain Toad, even though the added DLC for CT was (& still is) tempting... perhaps the next sale on that will reel me in.

I doubt it will happen because of the ties those studios have to Sony, but I would love the Metal Gear, Sly Cooper & Ratchet & Clank collections to come to Switch, as it's mainly those that are tempting me towards picking up that PS Vita in saw in my local CEX.  I would say the Switch is superior to that machine except for battery life & portability, which for a portable machine, are definitely powerful factors.

I’ve just been looking at the eShop looking for something to play and there’s an awful lot of what look like mobile games on there, perpetually discounted to about a quid. 

Too many mobile ports, perhaps?

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

I doubt it will happen because of the ties those studios have to Sony, but I would love the Metal Gear, Sly Cooper & Ratchet & Clank collections to come to Switch, as it's mainly those that are tempting me towards picking up that PS Vita in saw in my local CEX.  I would say the Switch is superior to that machine except for battery life & portability, which for a portable machine, are definitely powerful factors.

The MGS Collection would be great. However Konami have all but given up on games. They’re essentially a gambling software company nowadays :(

11 hours ago, Parksey said:

Whoever said gaming has a rich back-catalogue that needs to be taken forward with us each generation is right. 

However I do wish that Nintendo especially, would make this a persistent digital Virtual Console. I'd happily pay a sub if it meant I could access any past Nintendo game on their onlone service. I know that this is unlike to happen given that they sell Gameboy games on the 3DS for £8.

As it is though, most of their stuff is just dormant. Neither making money for them or getting paid. I would object to them charging for each individual title if they had it all up there. Instead we get a painfully slow dripfeed of select titles, before it's on to the next generation of consoles and we start again. Why aren't old games persistently available? 

Anyway, I don't mind ports personally, as I left the UK and my Wii U behind back in 2014 and barely got through any titles for it bar MK and Super Mario Bros. So a lot of these ports are brand new. I'm guessing, given the uptake on the Wii U, this is the same for a lot of people, and also Nintendo's reasoning behind the rereleases. I'd feel differently if I'd actually played them, I guess. 

I can see why it must be annoying for those who rinsed the Wii U. It'd be interesting to see how the two systems compared over a two year period, and what games were released for each. I know the Wii U also got quite a few ports (the Zelda games, Monster Hunter, loads of third party stuff) and that it probably didn't host anything quite up to the standard of Breath of the Wild (2 years in, anyway) and Mario Odyssey. But I would imagine that actually, the two systems probably had a similar number of good first party stuff at the respective points in their lives. 

What I do feel, is that the Wii U was arguably the more daring system. This is a little odd, given that I actually think Nintendo dialled back on their own tablet controller and never really utilised as well as they should have, but I do think that perhaps the Wii U's output was a little more diverse. 

This is countered by the fact that the Switch has basically become my indie game platform of choice. I used to get that stuff on my PS4 and Vita but now I'll automatically just get it on the Switch. It's great for that stuff, and really helps the gaps between releases. 

I guess we don't really know if ports actually stop or slow down new releases or not. My inkling is that even if we didn't have ports, the new titles would still be releasing around the same time. 

And yeah, there is a sense that Nintendo know we will pay for portable versions of their recent stuff. They are absolutely right on this.  But I also think most gamers want portable versions of their games. In this sense, is it taking advantage of that or pandering to your audience. 

I imagine most people complaining of ports on the Switch, nevertheless have a dream port stuffed in the back of their mind that they would clamour over and immediately buy should it be re-released. So it's definitely not always a case of "ports=bad", but obviously as it's an older game, everyone's mileage with a port differs. Not a new title, where obviously the entire world has never played it until release, you get a much more mixed audience for an older game. 

Saying that, the prices are definitely off. But again, this is perceived value. I've never played Hyrule Warriors. By and large, it's a mammoth game with load of content and has received a lot of praise on here. If I bought it for £30-40 I could easily get my money's worth out of it. But I played and finished Super Mario Bros U so wouldn't want to play that again for anything more than £15. At that price point it would definitely get my attention, but I'm not desperate. 

So even price is an odd thing to judge. What is a brand new experience for some is maybe going to deter people who have played it and would only revisit it if it was cheap. 

It's also the age old argument of whether Wind Waker, which was worth £40 in 2003 is still worth that in 2019. It's still the same game and the HD port obviously improved it even, but then some gamers don't like the idea of the price tag holding up 15 years later. But then, age is never really a determiner of value or price in other industries. I wouldn't expect to pick up, say, the first Harry Potter book or Apocalypse Now for a quid despite them being 20 or 40 years old now. They generally get re-released or republished (with fancy new covers too). 

Price and value are hugely subjective. I wasn't interested in Mario and Rabbids, a brand new game and a brand new IP which was highly praised, at full price. But as soon as it was £15 I immediately snapped it up and wanted to play it. I'll probably find out what value I attach to it once I do play it. 

So yeah, we've all just wasted 10 minutes of our lives watching me sit on the fence. Good job everyone. 

Two years in the Wii U had far better exclusives than the Switch. After that it just went into managed decline. By Christmas 2014 you had Super Mario 3D World; Bayonetta 2; Captain Toad and Mario Kart 8. Those four games justified me owning a Wii U. All stone cold classics.  I currently own one game for the Switch in Super Mario Odyssey which is brilliant, but I’d like to own some more.

10 minutes ago, gossi the dog said:

Two years in the Wii U had far better exclusives than the Switch. After that it just went into managed decline. By Christmas 2014 you had Super Mario 3D World; Bayonetta 2; Captain Toad and Mario Kart 8. Those four games justified me owning a Wii U. All stone cold classics.  I currently own one game for the Switch in Super Mario Odyssey which is brilliant, but I’d like to own some more.

Some could argue that Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros Ultimate and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (or Mario + Rabbids) are as good as/better than those 4 Wii U games though. 

Not mentioning BoTW as that was also on Wii U. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Azrael said:

Some could argue that Odyssey, Splatoon 2, Smash Bros Ultimate and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (or Mario + Rabbids) are as good as/better than those 4 Wii U games though. 

Not mentioning BoTW as that was also on Wii U. 

Meh for all of those bar Odyssey. I didn’t mention the likes of Pikmin 3; Smash Bros, New Super Mario; The Wonderful 101; Splatoon etc as they did very little for me.