Sign in to follow this  
Yuujiin

Switch - Too many ports?? (Ports Die Twice)

As one of those rare people who loved their Wii U and thought it had a fantastic line-up of games, it is very disappointing to just see the whole lot get re-released on Nintendo's next console in lieu of anything actually new. Even the games that are technically "new" (Splatoon 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, Smash) are really very familiar having played their predecessors not that long ago. I'm happy for those that are enjoying Mario Kart, NSMBU, Tropical Freeze, Hyrule Warriors, Captain Toad, Rayman Legends, Bayonetta 2 etc etc for the first time but the Switch is pretty sparse when it comes to big games for previous Wii U owners. I even played Breath of the Wild on Wii U! It's also notable that many of these Wii U ports are actually worse on the Switch - NSMBU, Rayman and Hyrule Warriors all lost their gamepad functionality, which added a lot to the games (Rayman especially).

Maybe it doesn't help that I play the Switch primarily on the TV (I find it a bit bulky and uncomfortable for handheld use) so it really does feel like the Wii U 2 at times, and something I sometimes regret buying.

• Upvote 5

As someone who owned a Wii U, I think it's fair to be a bit disappointed at the volume of first-party games that aren't ports, not least after Nintendo made a point of saying we'd get one 'big' release every month because they didn't have to focus on two devices anymore. That's not to dismiss the quality of first-party stuff so far, of course. What we've had has been excellent - BOTW is an all-timer, Odyssey was wonderful, I completely fell in love with ARMS and Splatoon 2 has been growing and getting better since launch (and the DLC was brilliant). But since? I'm glad more people are getting to play the likes of Captain Toad, NSMBU and Mario Kart 8 for the first time, but when you've played those games already and we're not even getting the smaller, more experimental games we saw on DS/3DS or via WiiWare etc, I can see why people who have it as their main console might feel slightly let down. And that's not even talking about the Switch tax, which doesn't only apply to ports of classic games like Resi 4, but indies as well. I love my Switch - for ages I've kept it within an arm's length of my desk so I can grab it for a quick go of something between jobs (and yeah, when I should be working, too). But lately I've not been reaching for it nearly as often as I did. 

EDIT: Ha, I see I've basically just reiterated what Garwoofoo said, that'll teach me for grabbing a snack mid-post. 

• Upvote 2

I guess what people feel is what people feel, but to me the ports aren't anywhere near as bad as people are saying. Here's the list I posted earlier in this thread:

Smash Bros, Pokemon, Zelda, Mario Kart, Mario Odyssey, ARMS, Octopath, Donkey Kong, Fire Emblem Warriors, Hyrule Warriors, Kirby, NSMB, Xenoblade 2, Pokken, Mario Party, Splatoon 2, Labo (multiple), Mario Tennis, Yoshi, Captain Toad, 1-2 Switch...

That's 21+ titles, of which only 6 (MK, DK, HW, NSMB, Pokken, Captain Toad) are ports. It's a relatively small proportion of their output overall still. And we know we have Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Mario Maker, Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, and another Pokemon coming this year already. Plus Link's Awakening (which treads the line so not sure where that falls). With E3 still to come.

They do need to pull their damn finger out on Pikmin though :angry:

27 minutes ago, mushashi said:

Are magazines now going to retrospectively re-mark most games then ;)

There is a reason Nightdive chose to resurrect the N64 work of Akklaim, and as they continue to release stuff, clearly quite a few other people disagree with that sentiment on their choice of games to bring back from the dead.

Never understood the fascination with that particular game either personally or magazines infatuation with that series in general.

I was a massive N64 fan at the time, having skipped the Playstation, and remember my friend buying Turok.  We played some multiplayer, and played through a lot of the single player and I remember it being dull, and, well, fog of war.  I had a lot more fun with Mission: Impossible on N64, which was at best, a forgetful game too..

The huge success of the resurrection of Crash Bandicoot, and even more so Spyro, both of which I never got on with - the latter, I felt was barely mediocre shows that it works I guess. 

18 minutes ago, Garwoofoo said:

It's also notable that many of these Wii U ports are actually worse on the Switch - NSMBU, Rayman and Hyrule Warriors all lost their gamepad functionality, which added a lot to the games (Rayman especially).

Rayman still has the touch screen mode that the WiiU had.  Is there anything else missing?

Gamers: Switch has too many ports!

Also gamers: [blank] would be great on the Switch!

Kidding aside, I think the balance between old and new is fine at the moment. They have new titles to expand upon and enough classics to satisfy those hungry for ports.

Nintendo seem to have got in to a bit of a 'skip every other generation' rut. Having skipped the wiiU, I don't feel like I am lacking for switch options. However, having played a lot of wii, the wiiU never got to the point of having enough games to warrant purchase. By skipping a generation, there is nothing that I feel I have missed out on, apart from pikmin 3, which will undoubtedly get the switch treatment at some point. For want of a better description, not 'punishing' gamers for skipping a generation can only be a bad thing, right?

I am still hoping for a few more ports personally. 

Two Point Hospital, Panel De Pon, Zoo Keeper, Peggle, PvZ (hell even Garden Warfare), Meteos, Gunpey, Suer Puzzle Fighter, Wetrix, Pacman CE, Space Invaders Extreme, Droplitz, Pokemon Originals Collection, to name but a few. 

I know many are unlikely to nigh on impossible, but I want to see everything possible ported over. I'd take them as actual digital / physical releases, or even a Netflix style sub, depending on the game. 

• Upvote 2

Er, how about some NEW FUCKING GAMES???  HEEEELLLOOOO??? You know, something I haven't played before that makes it worth picking my dusty switch up again??  

Yes. WAY TOO MANY FUCKING PORTS. 

We've had Mario Odyssey, and Zelda BotW. After that ... absolutely fucking nothing of note. Nothing.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3
  • Empathy 1

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Er, how about some NEW FUCKING GAMES???  HEEEELLLOOOO??? You know, something I haven't played before that makes it worth picking my dusty switch up again??  

We've had Mario Odyssey, and Zelda BotW. After that ... absolutely fucking nothing of note. Nothing.

Smash Bros Ultimate is the complete oppositte of 'nothing of note'.

A fucking beat 'em up. Big fucking whoop. ;)

I'll admit, I haven't play that. But my bro is getting it for his birthday "from his son" even though the Switch is mine. :lol:

• Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, scottcr said:

Smash Bros Ultimate is the complete oppositte of 'nothing of note'.

It is really similar to Smash on the Wii U though. More stuff in it obviously (as well as a surprising amount taken out) but I put a lot of time into the last game and to be honest this feels more like DLC than anything. It doesn’t have that “new game” feeling to it. 

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Thor said:

How dare you ignore Hollow Knight?

giphy.gif

Oh shut up, some crappy 2d game. "Oh, but it's like Dark souls" I've played Dark Souls, all three of them,and the first was ported to the switch so I can play it all over again. Nintendo needs to do better.

It's interesting that VR for Nintendo (admittedly the Kwik-Save cardboard box variety) was announced around the same tame Reggie the numpty fucked off. Perhaps now we'll get some real innovation from Nintendo. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

I'm not a developer but I'm pretty sure we haven't missed out on any amazing new games because the developers decided to spend their time on porting something instead. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DC Lemon said:

Never too many ports when it comes to a handheld.  GBA was bliss.

Yeah exactly. There's no issue here really.

6 hours ago, Freeman said:

I was a massive N64 fan at the time, having skipped the Playstation, and remember my friend buying Turok.  We played some multiplayer, and played through a lot of the single player and I remember it being dull, and, well, fog of war.

Are you talking about the first Turok - Dinosaur Hunter?  I didn't think it had a multi-player mode.

6 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

As one of those rare people who loved their Wii U and thought it had a fantastic line-up of games, it is very disappointing to just see the whole lot get re-released on Nintendo's next console in lieu of anything actually new.

If I didn't own a Wii U, then the Switch would be absolutely a must have purchase for me but I do so it's not.  And in fact the Wii U for me has a better selection of more games, and that's because I have a lot of classic Nintendo stuff in one place. I'd lose out by getting a Switch. It feels weird because I should be a Nintendo customer but I no longer am, and it's one of their arguably more half arsed doesn't-know-what-it-is-nobody-knows-it-exists systems that's led to it. But saying that, I'm glad people are getting to play these games that probably didn't before because they're fantastic. 

• Upvote 1

^^^ See that? It's because the Switch has nothing new. It's diabolical. It's a really expensive machine, there should be games coming out for it that justify that purchase. Two genuinely new games that take the medium forward aren't enough. Nintendo should be the frontrunner, on the bleeding edge. They were ... in the '90s. 

• Empathy 1

11 minutes ago, Thor said:

It's a really expensive machine, there should be games coming out for it that justify that purchase. 

Drop em a line and tell them, they haven't got a bloody clue have they? 

I mean it's outselling everything by accident, 15 million bought Smash alone. Nintendo have no idea, they need help, they're out of control.

• Upvote 1