Sign in to follow this  
Yuujiin

Switch - Too many ports?? (Ports Die Twice)

Give me more ports of JRPGs, please. I rarely game at home now, but I've been powering through all the JRPGs I can on the Switch. I want more games along the lines of Ys VIII and FFXII. 

Not really after AAA blockbusters that look shite compared to the PS4/Xbox counterparts.

Just the big companies to have an original game that was designed for the limitations of the Switch. 

I wish Nintendo would port more games.  I'm dying to play Thousand Year Door again.   I'd buy Mario Galaxy/3D World/Pikmin ports etc.   Not arsed about SNES/NES era games.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well they haven't, perhaps you're just not interested in what they are putting out.

Yep. I should have said ‘that I’m interested in’, but there’s been nothing other than Zelda, Mario and Kart that I’m bothered about picking up.

Just now, JPL said:

Yep. I should have said ‘that I’m interested in’, but there’s been nothing other than Zelda, Mario and Kart that I’m bothered about picking up.

Perhaps you're not as interested in Nintendo exclusives as you thought? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, JPL said:

there’s been nothing other than Zelda, Mario and Kart that I’m bothered about picking up.

At this point I'm legally and morally obliged to say:

SPLATOON, BUY IT.

• Upvote 5

32 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Reducing the number of ports won’t increase the number of Nintendo exclusives - although it would increase the relative proportion of Nintendo exclusives.

I never said anything about reducing the number of ports, that’s all good. I just want more Nintendo exclusives ‘that I’m interested in’ to sit alongside those ports.

4 minutes ago, rgraves said:

At this point I'm legally and morally obliged to say:

SPLATOON, BUY IT.

True. I really should give it a go. I’ve heard it’s brilliant.

@StanleyWhat else is there then? Other than the ones I’ve mentioned, I've got Smash and Tennis, neither of which I like.

Just now, JPL said:

@StanleyWhat else is there then? Other than the ones I’ve mentioned, I've got Smash and Tennis, neither of which I like.

Well it's not for me to tell you, I'd say that their first party release schedule is pretty jammed, just obviously not with stuff you like. Apart from that it's not like there isn't other stuff to play on Switch, but perhaps you don't like any of that either in which case, I have no advice.

44 minutes ago, Stanley said:

Well it's not for me to tell you, I'd say that their first party release schedule is pretty jammed, just obviously not with stuff you like. Apart from that it's not like there isn't other stuff to play on Switch, but perhaps you don't like any of that either in which case, I have no advice.

I think it’s just a case of not really being interested in the exclusives they’re currently releasing and I’d much rather play any ports on my Xbox. I’ve got all 3 consoles, so I’m never stuck for anything, it’s just that my Switch hasn’t had any love for ages now.

I suppose the fact that I’m not in the slightest bit interested in handheld play either isn’t helping.

The only game I’m aware of that I’m looking forward to is the new Metroid, but who knows when that'll be out.

It’s by far the least played Nintendo console I’ve ever owned, which makes me a bit sad.

1 minute ago, JPL said:

I think it’s just a case of not really being interested in the exclusives they’re currently releasing and I’d much rather play any ports on my Xbox. I’ve got all 3 consoles, so I’m never stuck for anything, it’s just that my Switch hasn’t had any love for ages now.

I suppose the fact that I’m not in the slightest bit interested in handheld play either isn’t helping.

Ah well, hopefully there's something in the upcoming schedule that you take a fancy to.

I don't mind ports, but the ones I want are ones I've invariably bought on Steam already.

The only real problem is that I look forward to games using the Switch in unique ways that can't be replicated on other platforms. And ports don't do that, by their nature.

1 hour ago, JPL said:

True. I really should give it a go. I’ve heard it’s brilliant.

You have heard correctly. It's peak Nintendo.

2 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

Nintendo platforms seem to be overwhelmingly nostalgia platforms, which is why I'm less interested in them.

Love this nostalgia thing in your craw. Genuinely makes me smile every time. Cheers!

Prices for many are mental. Many are in the ever growing catalogue of psplus and Xbox games with gold or gamepass collection that costs hardly anything in comparison.

Just now, SF-02 said:

Prices for many are mental. Many are in the ever growing catalogue of psplus and Xbox games with gold or gamepass collection that costs hardly anything in comparison.

Most of these ports are actually multi platform, ACIII, Sniper Elite, FFXII etc. It's just that Switch games hold their value for longer. No excuse for the likes of RE4 pricing though.

Ports on Switch are fine.  For most of the games it is the first time they are playable on the bog or 8000 foot in the air. 

Historically: "Nintendo consoles don't have enough games/games that are on other platforms"

Now: Nintendo console has too many games that are on other consoles

:rolleyes:

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, Yuujiin said:

Just the big companies to have an original game that was designed for the limitations of the Switch. 

Given the power gap, you'd just end up in the same situation as the Wii or 3DS when it comes to a big publisher's efforts. They'd have to expend a fair amount to make a worthy exclusive essentially as the alternative is games designed for Switch power and then up-ressed for export.

Ports designed for much weaker hardware aren't going to be very popular on more powerful machines where such games would be competing against monster budget alternatives, probably from the exact same publisher.

Too many ports?

Surely it's simply a case of vote with your wallet - buy if you like, don't if you don't.

The rate MK89D, NSMBWD, CTTT (did that have a D?) etc. have sold, I think the answer is obvious.

Things like Turok - if you chose to buy an (imo) poor game in the first place, again, unchanged on another platform many years later, I hope you can get something out of it.  Lazy ports are nothing new.

33 minutes ago, Freeman said:

Things like Turok - if you chose to buy an (imo) poor game in the first place, again, unchanged on another platform many years later, I hope you can get something out of it.  Lazy ports are nothing new.

Are magazines now going to retrospectively re-mark most games then ;)

There is a reason Nightdive chose to resurrect the N64 work of Akklaim, and as they continue to release stuff, clearly quite a few other people disagree with that sentiment on their choice of games to bring back from the dead.

Never understood the fascination with that particular game either personally or magazines infatuation with that series in general.