Sign in to follow this  
MarkN

Comedy timing

Just been reading through the Alan Partridge thread, and something made me go and search for this sketch from Vic and Bob's House Of Fools, which for me is just a masterpiece of timing - the pauses between mug falls, the rate at which they happen, the fact that it goes on for longer than you think it should at first, but then only gets funnier - for me it's note perfect:

Would love to see other folks examples of great comedy timing - should be a fun thread to return to. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MarkN said:

Just been reading through the Alan Partridge thread, and something made me go and search for this sketch from Vic and Bob's House Of Fools, which for me is just a masterpiece of timing - the pauses between mug falls, the rate at which they happen, the fact that it goes on for longer than you think it should at first, but then only gets funnier - for me it's note perfect:

Would love to see other folks examples of great comedy timing - should be a fun thread to return to. 

That was great and also reminded me of this, which made me laugh a lot more even now than I expected (skip to 1:40)...

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Timmo said:

That was great and also reminded me of this, which made me laugh a lot more even now than I expected (skip to 1:40)...

I honestly haven't seen that before, and halfway through I was tempted to sack it off as not relevant (and actually something I'd rather not watch). But I stuck with it - and it's exactly right. It wasn't funny to me, but it became a bit funny, and then it became funnier, and then it became magnificent. :D I mean it's bloody horrible, but it's still properly fucking funny. And it's that same kind of "piling it on" thing. It's only really funny when they have the courage to take it far too fucking far for comfort. 

I lost my shit during that puke scene the first time in the cinema and literally couldn't recover for abut 5 minutes. Proper side splitting snotty nosed stuff.

This one is a lot more dry than outright hilarious, but it's still perfectly judged and absolutely slayed me in the cinema:

And for such a terrible film, Sam Raimis Crimewave is filled to the brim with amazing comic timing, including this wonderful bit of Bruce Campbell Brucing to the max

• Upvote 4

1.17 onwards. There are a million reasons this remains my favourite movie of all time but when once again faced with death the childish “what’s that?” followed by a missed punch, followed by a single jab, and our brave antihero’s legs agonised pause before inevitable bucking, is just comic perfection. It’s been really hard to think of scenes that are all about timing, but I think this easily qualifies 

• Upvote 4

On 13/03/2019 at 20:31, Benny said:

I know Cleavon Little cracking up at the end was genuine corpsing that they left in - I can’t remember whether Wilder’s last line was improvised. Love the scene regardless.

EDIT - yes, just checked. Wilder’s last little quip was improv :)

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, linkster said:

1.17 onwards. There are a million reasons this remains my favourite movie of all time but when once again faced with death the childish “what’s that?” followed by a missed punch, followed by a single jab, and our brave antihero’s legs agonised pause before inevitable bucking, is just comic perfection. It’s been really hard to think of scenes that are all about timing, but I think this easily qualifies 

That punch is an absolute belter. You know that hurt. Possibly another thread there - best punches in film history. I'd start with The Last Boy Scout, but this one's a shoe-in.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, dumpster said:

It's not quite what I was after, but I pissed myself 3 times watching it, so it'll do. 

Edit: I was wrong. After a re-watch when he asks "Do you mind if I smoke?" - that's just spot on. Absolutely perfect. I mean - the rest of it is brilliant, but purely from a timing point of view that is top notch, for me.

18 minutes ago, MarkN said:

That punch is an absolute belter. You know that hurt. Possibly another thread there - best punches in film history. I'd start with The Last Boy Scout, but this one's a shoe-in.

Great idea.  I’d choose the same movie - when Indy and Marion first meet. Ouch.

On 13/03/2019 at 20:31, Benny said:

Gene Wilder - what an absolute ledge. 

Does this qualify for timing?  It’s P W’s face - how it goes from interested to, well, have a look 

• Upvote 1

This gets a deep belly laugh out of me every time, even though I know it’s coming. It’s not really a laugh-out-loud movie but the timing on this - both where it pops up in the movie and inside the scene itself - is spot on.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Dr Nookie said:

Gene Wilder - what an absolute ledge. 

Does this qualify for timing?  It’s P W’s face - how it goes from interested to, well, have a look 

I've never seen that before. Paul Whitehouse is such a ledge. Hilarious

On 14/03/2019 at 01:04, kerraig UK said:

This one is a lot more dry than outright hilarious, but it's still perfectly judged and absolutely slayed me in the cinema:

Charlie Kaufman's writing is so perfect that with the right performances and editing it's an absolute masterclass. His directorial debut Synecdoche is a great example; it isn't hilarious  on the page, but it absolutely slays me on film. The edits, the gaps in the conversation. Fuckin' A.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Shoes said:

Charlie Kaufman's writing is so perfect that with the right performances and editing it's an absolute masterclass. His directorial debut Synecdoche is a great example; it isn't hilarious  on the page, but it absolutely slays me on film. The edits, the gaps in the conversation. Fuckin' A.

Thats glorious

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, linkster said:

Is there an acceptable distinction tween timing and physical comedy? Struggling with examples ...

delboy, falling through the bar.