BEL-AIR - W.T.F

Danster

everything looks good, but the uncle phil role is bloody difficult, James Avery could switch between comic relief, befuddled old man and super serious arse kicking mega dad in an instant and play each of those roles brilliantly. new dude has some big shoes to fill

Looking at it again, the characterisation of Hilary is off. She shouldn't give a shit Will is there but the whole 'one main character' vibe of modern shows means the main char has to evoke a reaction in every other character.

Yeah, I wouldn't fancy being the actor who has to do Uncle Phil. James Avery was just amazing in that role.

I'm in two minds about this. Doing it as a comedy again would only get unfavorable comparisons. Doing it deadly serious with Evil Carlton makes me wonder if there's a point in doing it

I know Will and James Avery get the acting plaudits now and they were incredible in the more serious episodes but when I rewatched the show a few years back its Carlton who carries the show, especially in later seasons. Its a traditional sitcom and he always gets the best laughs. Alfonso Ribeiro absolutely nailed the character so perfectly he was always going to be type cast forever sadly. He is still firing on the last season when everyone else is obviously phoning it in.

3 minutes ago, Orion said:

I know Will and James Avery get the acting plaudits now and they were incredible in the more serious episodes but when I rewatched the show a few years back its Carlton who carries the show, especially in later seasons. Its a traditional sitcom and he always gets the best laughs. Alfonso Ribeiro absolutely nailed the character so perfectly he was always going to be type cast forever sadly. He is still firing on the last season when everyone else is phoning it in.

The new one will be like Discovery where, like Burnham, everyone will relate only to Will, or when he's offscreen they'll only speak about him, saying "where's Poochie?"

It's weird when you watch it all back and realise the kind of golden period that's crystallised in your mind as being Fresh Prince was actually quite short. I think as a consequence of them being quite old when they started the school period ends really quickly, and then the replacement setting of that college diner thing was quite thin. The Goldbergs is about the only show I've seen that's managed this problem well. 

• 1 month later...

I’ve watched the first three episodes and I’m actually enjoying it a fair bit. It’s weird for sure and isn’t something that I ever thought would be a thing, but yeah, I’m digging the little moments that harken back to the source material. Carlton’s a very different character here and his rivalry with Will is great stuff. I’m not sure if it’s cos I’m old but they seem to have got a list of modern day slang terms and are steadily working there way through them. If that’s how the kids speak these days then great, but it does make me laugh when this stuff pops up. The show reminds me a bit of the OC. The guy playing Will is pretty good. I’m not recommending it, but I’m kind of recommending it…