Unofficial Who

Stunt Car Racer

Wow, that looks really good, but I'm surprised Stunt Car Racer never got a release on the BBC originally, what with Geoff Crammond writing so much of his early stuff for the BBC (Aviator, Revs, The Sentinel).

• Upvote 1

Is that running on actual hardware? It looks ridiculously fast and smooth for a BBC Micro; it’s monochrome, but it’s almost faster than the Amiga version. 

It's a great port, but lets just stand and applaud the fact that the inertia and sheer sense of speed that Crammond created, can so seamlessly translate across machines. What a wonderful game. Imo it has still never been bettered for its sheer sense of weight and feel.

• Upvote 7

We were playing this the other week on my mates Amiga and after all these years it’s still a thrilling edge of the seat experience as much for the player as the viewer. Amazing stuff.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, luth714 said:

We were playing this the other week on my mates Amiga and after all these years it’s still a thrilling edge of the seat experience as much for the player as the viewer. Amazing stuff.

There’s a really great mod of the Amiga version called Stunt Car Racer TNT 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gregory Wolfe said:

Do people not know the difference between a Model B and a Master?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Master

I know it was running on a BBC Master, I just didn't think the Master was that much more powerful than the original BBC Micro (although there were a lot of different Masters with different specs). If it's running on real hardware (and from the Youtube description, it seems hat it is), then that's a genuinely amazing bit of work. I was just wondering what it was actually running on - it looks  faster and smoother than any other 8-bit version.

• Upvote 1

I still rate Stunt Car Racer as one of the greatest technical achievements of it's time. I had it on 48k+ first and loved it but lost my mind seeing the Amiga version running in the local computer game shop. It's the game that sold me (made me plead for) an Amiga. Two birthdays and a Christmas later (anyone else do this? - roll birthdays and Christmases together to get more expensive presents) and I had it. Brilliant. It still looks fucking cool to me.

• Upvote 6

Stunt car racer was great. I never had the chance to play two player though which must have been a laugh although probably a bit of a faff from a setup point of view

1 hour ago, crocked said:

Stunt car racer was great. I never had the chance to play two player though which must have been a laugh although probably a bit of a faff from a setup point of view

It was great fun in two player. I can’t remember if it was me or my friend that did it first, but sneaking at look at the other player’s screen to block them or push them off the track was hilarious. After that we had back to back monitors. 

On 13/03/2019 at 22:31, gizmo1990 said:

It's a great port, but lets just stand and applaud the fact that the inertia and sheer sense of speed that Crammond created, can so seamlessly translate across machines. What a wonderful game. Imo it has still never been bettered for its sheer sense of weight and feel.

Oh, man, the anticipation of the landing when you overcooked the approach and you just knew you were going to crack your frame.

• Upvote 2

D'oh.

A penny has just dropped for me.

No wonder I loved the Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion so much. It's basically just current gen Stunt Car Racer, isn't it?

I think Stunt Car Racer is probably my favorite C64 game. Played it to death. Was completely rubbish at it, like, but loved playing it.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ScouserInExile said:

D'oh.

A penny has just dropped for me.

No wonder I loved the Forza Horizon 3 Hot Wheels expansion so much. It's basically just current gen Stunt Car Racer, isn't it?

I think Stunt Car Racer is probably my favorite C64 game. Played it to death. Was completely rubbish at it, like, but loved playing it.

Its a bit unrelated, but after playing with my son’s Hot Wheels tracks, it’s surprising that they’ve never made a great Hot Wheels game where it’s not just about the cars, but the death defying tracks and the ability to create them.

If there could have been any improvements to the original Stunt Car Racer game, it would be the ability to get better cars and designing your own tracks.

(On another Hot Wheels note, I remember my mate getting Hot Wheels by epyx on the C64, at the time when everything epyx pretty much did was incredible. He returned it after a few days because it was so crap. Especially on tape).

Speaking of modern takes on SCR - @Strangelite's Stunt Car Online was pretty neat but I think it was an in-progress thing and I don't know if it's still available to try... 

As for the original, I first played it on C64 as part of a compilation cartridge with Microprose Soccer and Rick Dangerous - it was very challenging but I was impressed by how fast it was when I was so used to other "3D" experiences being quite slow and clunky. It was also very entertaining if you just wanted to play for fun and enjoy tumbling off the track repeatedly. Ahem. :blush: 

• Upvote 2