Is it just me, or is the dual shock still **** ?

choddo

Years ago, on the ps2, I used to get massive red marks and indentations on the sides of my middle fingers from trying to keep the dual shock steady while using the thumbsticks.

It's got a lot better over the last 3 iterations but I was trying to play an fps yesterday (Titanfall 2) and ALL the time, my left thumb would slide fowards over the stick so I had to keep adjusting my grip. Slightly compounded by having to click the damn thing in every 5 seconds to sprint.

This never happens on any version of the xbox or anything by Nintendo. Why can't Sony make a decent controller ffs?

4 minutes ago, choddo said:

This never happens on any version of the xbox or anything by Nintendo. Why can't Sony make a decent controller ffs?

Conversely, I absolutely prefer all versions of the Dual Shock to other controllers.. defo over the likes of the 360 controller or Xbox One. 

I do have Donald Trump sized hands, and they just seem to fit perfectly for me. 

The 4 is the best version of the Dual Shock but it's still the worst of the controllers on console. The battery life is awful, the pad makes my hands ache after any prolonged use, the light bar is annoying and the touchpad despite being the best idea has been woefully underutilised in games. Basically it's time for a redesign but I know Sony won't do that as there will be too many fanboys that would cry and wail if they did. 

11 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

It's bloody rubbish. Battery lasts three hours if you are lucky. 

Apart from this, the DS4 is much better than any of the previous ones, to the point where it's the only one I'm really able to use.

Still stupid button shapes though.

Saying the DS4 is the best Duel Shock, is the dictionary definition of 'damning with faint praise'.

The PS4 is leagues ahead of the One this generation, but it's controller is still a poor substitute. . And both both pale in comparison to the grand Nintendo pro controller*.

* which also costs a grand

The DS4 is the first PlayStation controller that I actually liked. I think it's a good controller and I prefer it over the (disappointing) vanilla launch XB1 controller. However, I vastly prefer the new XB1 controller (the one with Bluetooth) over the DS4 - with my big manly hands the XB1 feels far better. The most ergonomical controller I've ever used, and imo it has far better sticks and triggers than the DS4. Never mind the battery....

11 minutes ago, probotector said:

Prefer the old DS pads to the current one...

Thats so wrong that I’m pretty sure they need to rewrite the dictionary definition of what being wrong is!

All dual shocks are shite, every gen they have been the worst pad of any console they competed with and while the DS4 is the best of a bad bunch it’s still a terrible pad full of flaws but at least usable.

Battery is fine on new versions, turn off rumble for an FPS and you will play better and have much better battery!

It's easily the poorest of the three (I'm including the Pro controller for the Switch here). The positioning of the analogue sticks and poor battery life which means I can't play it for long periods because my hands cramp up. It's in serious need of a redesign next gen. 

Apart from the release controllers thumb rot issue, the DS4 pads for me have been fine.

Decent battery life, I was playing Fifa 19 most of yesterday and it lasted the whole day. I have the light bar set to dim & auto turn off the controller to 10 mins if I'm away from the console.

Build quality is shit but otherwise it's the best pad for my liking. Best D-Pad by far, dedicated share button, can do all the fancy VR stuff. Symmetrical sticks are good for the few games that make use of it.

I use the PS4 pad for as many console/PC games as possible.

Yeah love my DS4. Not sure if I prefer it to the One pad, I think subliminally I may prefer Microsoft's controller due to never bothering to see if I can hook up my spare DS4 to my PC whilst having to unpair my One S pad to use that for PC gaming. I don't really use the One S in the bedroom but that's beside the point, I think?

I'll tell you what though it's a fucking minefield buying a new DS4 from places like Amazon and Ebay. I had no idea about fakes until I thought I'd found a bargain UK based new pad on Amazon marketplace. Looked great but alarm bells rang when it came with some shitty charging cable that you shouldn't get. Refunded then had to settle on a more expensive option. In fact I read so many horror stories and with my own hassle with the return I just walked into Argos and settled on some camo coloured job as that was the only one in stock at the time. Yeah I know there are plenty of trustworthy places to buy online but man these fakes are good, wouldn't be surprised if some smaller indie places get suckered into stocking them

17 minutes ago, Thor said:

DS4 is the best pad this gen, easily. But the best pad ever designed was the 360 pad (d-pad excepted). Why the fuck MS changed that for the One is beyond me. 

The One pad is pretty much identical to the 360 controller though if not even slightly better in use (revised 2nd edition bluetooth one at least) - to say the DS4 is better is utter madness.

3 minutes ago, Mortis said:

The One pad is pretty much identical to the 360 controller though if not even slightly better in use (revised 2nd edition bluetooth one at least) - to say the DS4 is better is utter madness.

Proper D-Pad, VR support, Share button, Speaker.

You might not care about these things but the fact the pad has features that the others do not, makes it better IMHO.

If the Switch Pro controller had analogue triggers then the video game industry would collapse. There would be nowhere else to go from there, so everyone would just give up.

The Xbox one pad is better than the DS4 and arguably the Elite XB1 pad is the best, though shoddy build quality on the buttons ruins it.

DS4 is definitely the best Dual Shock so far, though it has a ways to go.

Just now, MW_Jimmy said:

Proper D-Pad, VR support, Share button, Speaker.

You might not care about these things but the fact the pad has features that the others do not, makes it better IMHO.

The speaker varies on games. Excellent in Alien Isolation with its high pitched beeps. Total shite in modern warfare remastered with tinny reload sounds.

Oh - the touchpad. The one you can't get to without letting go. As for the impossible to find whatever that sunken button is called (options?) that loads of games use to pause, what twat thought it was so dangerous they'd better make it so you'd have to dig for it with your thumbnail to ensure no inadvertent calamitous pausing?

Sony have boxed themselves into a corner with the touchpad. Nobody likes it, 3rd party developers understandably can't be bothered to support it properly but they can't really drop it on future pads because of compatibility.

A massive square space wasted.

The only reason I bought a PS4 is because I played on one in a shop and realized they’d fixed the controller. The PS3 one was shocking. I’m not sure if I prefer the Xbone controller - I play halo at my friend’s house from time to time but I think I’m just used to the PS4 pad so it’s hard to tell. I personally think all console controllers are shit. Why are we still putting up with face buttons that involve taking our thumbs off the sticks? Can’t they get they message from custom pro pads and put them on the back so we can utilize our unused fingers?

Dualshock peaked at ps2 and even then it needed triggers. Looks like Sony has been stuck in a rut since then. Touchpad? LOL Big bar of light to drain the already weak battery? MegaLOL! Floppy analog sticks - yup got those too. I'd have a 360 pad over a DS4 any day.