IGNORED

After Life - Ricky Gervais

gospvg

On 17/01/2022 at 04:02, KartoffelKopf said:

Couple more things, ‘Cunt’ should always be used sparingly, used only to emphasise true hatred. He’s overused it way too much here. The other main thing that’s always baffled me is how he could have loved such an irritating woman so much. The relationship depicted in the home movies is one of a pair of deeply annoying cunts. 

I see what you did there :hat: 

There was only really one instance (out of about 20-30?) of the word where it felt earned where there was some thought about it (after the date). You know what? I'd even be willing to give the pass on the one in the pub with the ashes line, that needed an extra little spice to make it a stand out moment that they can (annoyingly) throw in a trailer and get attention. The other 10-20 uses of it though, nah.

I do keep coming across friends/family that adore this though, were like in floods of tears with how beautiful it was. It does have an audience. Suppose you can say the same about many atrocities. 

I just wish Netflix woke up and only added shows/films aimed at us here at rllmuk. Though realistically I think they would only have Mad Max : Fury Road on it. That is the only thing that the entirety of rllmuk loved.

I'm pretty uncomfortable with this idea like hate watching is sad and why not just watch something else, I can be sad independently of procrastinating on rllmuk. It's just the show is so bad it's like an experiment. When Gary Linekar tweets

is he really comfortable with the amount of cunts Ricky flings around every ten minutes or is he cringing. Stopped after episode 4. Is that after the cafe scene where a man sat at a table behind Ricky is making sounds to entertain his baby and Ricky can't tolerate it so starts swearing loudly then blows into the stomach of his mate as though he's a baby? How am I suppose to watch that when there's a thread sat right here and just ignore it like it never happened. Or the subplot where he's effortlessly great at ping pong, tennis and squash and hammers his boss who says 'it's ridiculous, just look at you, you look like Maradona...late Maradona, dead Maradona, post death Maradona'. 'Okay don't get nasty' Ricky/Tony says. Ricky telling someone else to not get nasty. 

Armchair psychology...he's written seemingly pointless, comedy-less scenes where's just fantastic at sport and there's...no self-aggrandizement... Ricky has built up enough restaurant, cafe and pub scenes in his career where he despises other people or staff for someone to build an hour long montage out of it. 

On one hand the show as a background watch has a nice tone about it but the writing quality of an early 00s evening soap opera. The scenes of the other characters are so painful. It has the pace of a tractor. 

You forget during Tony's irredeemable horribleness that his boss is the brother of his dead wife*, he's probably suffering and mourning as well. Ricky has no awareness at all. Should I really have a big dog I pet as I mope in my house, won't that image be cringey and lame. 

*or partner, can't remember 

8 minutes ago, Capwn said:

There was only really one instance (out of about 20-30?) of the word where it felt earned where there was some thought about it (after the date). 

I did laugh at that. It was earned and well delivered. Not really a comedy highlight though. I was sort of shocked afterwards I laughed, like what happened there. 

That scene in Curb where Marty is telling that joke to Jerry Seinfeld and the punchline uses the c-word is still so hilarious and surprising because it's ridiculously inappropriate and needlessly over the top. In that context it's the perfect use of the word. Gervais has no restraint at all with what is a pretty dreadful thing to say to someone. 

My wife liked it and she cried about 4 times during the last episode. She is pretty hormonal at the moment though. 

I can see the appeal of the show but Gervais was an horrible cunt through the majority of it, with his be nice epiphany at the end like he's seen the light. 

I found the scene in the cafe completely unnecessary as well as the scene with his brother in law in the hospital. Well pretty much any scene where he's bullying his brain law. 

Anyway I imagine I'll half watch season 4 whilst browsing here on my phone too. 

It’s mad that the best writer to come out of The Office is Mackenzie Crook. Speaking of which, there’s a fantastic “cunt” in the Detectorists. There’s barely any swearing in the show, it’s almost Sunday afternoon telly. Until one scene where a character casually quizzes Lance on his ex-wife’s new boyfriend and he answers “because he’s a cunt”. “Gotcha” comes the reply without missing a beat. Then back to the gentle Sunday TV. Brilliant. It’s so shocking I had to skip back to make sure my ears were working. 

Anyway, After Life is crap and Ricky Gervais is crap. 

20 hours ago, Capwn said:

I just wish Netflix woke up and only added shows/films aimed at us here at rllmuk. Though realistically I think they would only have Mad Max : Fury Road on it. That is the only thing that the entirety of rllmuk loved.

I found it visually stunning but really didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't watch it again.

Mr Inbetween is universally loved on rllmuk. And The Last Jedi :ph34r:

4 hours ago, neoELITE said:

I found it visually stunning but really didn't enjoy it. I wouldn't watch it again.

Mr Inbetween is universally loved on rllmuk. And The Last Jedi :ph34r:

Top trolling 🙌

I'm not a fan of Ricky Gervais, neither of us were really, I keep trying to see what the fuss is about, bounced off The Office, Extras, Derek. I dunno why, he just hasn't clicked with me.

This has though. I'm 4 episodes in, and so far, hes captured everything I've felt so far (even his relationship with the dog, though I've not hired a sex worker to clean and not let the cupboards to empty), I'm literally crying and laughing, often at the same time, through every episode.

Edit, actually, I know it's "the character" being horrible and bitter because of his grief, feelings I don't share, but I've remembered why I'm not a fan of Gervais generally, he punches down. All. The. Time.

There are enough moments that make me want to watch it though, it's the process of grief being on screen, and he's captured that.

On 20/01/2022 at 17:44, Fierce Poodle said:

Given that you have about as much empathy as Ted Bundy, that comes as no surprise at all.

It’s such a sweet story across the 3 series, anyone who doesn’t cry at the last episode, dead inside. Literal universal praise everywhere. it has a lack of empathy? Wtaf. It’s riddled with it. It’s a beautiful story, a journey about a man down on his luck having a massively positive impact on those around him. 🤷 

Completed series 3 as the missus wanted to watch it. She likes to have a good cry at stuff, I just want to laugh. Suffice to say she got what she wanted, but I failed to see anything funny in it at all. 

An odd show - it's so intrinsically linked to Gervais' persona it is hard to separate the real person and the character on screen. My guess is that he set out to use the show to be as nasty as he wanted to be and then was shocked that people who'd lost someone seem to resonate with it and help them in some way with their grief - something he may have not planned on, hence all the last minute bollocks in this. 

To me this was around a 9 hour reimagining of Groundhog Day. Gervais has subsequently hinted that there might be some more to come on this show, I've no idea what - as it was out of ideas from Series 1 clearly. Either that or he'll partner with Netflix again and produce a new show called "Cunt"

He retweeted this today and it made me think;

During that scene I think the idea was that "Oh, he's looking to replace his wife but this other woman is different. She's not a replacement, she is a unique person that will result in a DIFFERENT relationship, and that's ok!" etc

but no, because new woman just cuts the lemon, I think was a just a NOPE for Gervais's character and they soon part ways afterwards. In other words, it seems like the lemon thing was the last straw?

image.png.e78a6fbc49ae4dc446de90a209583dd4.png

I took it to mean that he realised he’d just be pursuing a relationship for the sake of it, he’d been stringing her along, and that he should both allow her to pursue happiness with someone who liked her more than he did, and also free himself from the constant comparisons with his dead wife.

I enjoyed it, whilst also narrowing my eyes at the screen thinking “Come on mate, that’s a bit much” quite a lot. I think it’s possible to enjoy elements of the show whilst also disagreeing with Gervais and his view of the world, and also recognising the recycling and the narrative tropes. I wasn’t hate watching, more “I see what you did there, and it’s not cool…but ok that bit made me laugh” watching. 

Equally I can’t gain say any of the criticism of it. I particularly enjoy how much Limmy hates it. Went on quite the rant on a recent stream. And he’s right. What can I say, I can see both sides. 

I’ve watched all three series now, and I’m struggling with why Tony starts S2 and S3 back at his default ‘lashing out at the world’ behaviour, after they’ve gone to the trouble of making him go through a final episode redemption arc in each of the previous series.

3 hours ago, Jammy said:

I’ve watched all three series now, and I’m struggling with why Tony starts S2 and S3 back at his default ‘lashing out at the world’ behaviour, after they’ve gone to the trouble of making him go through a final episode redemption arc in each of the previous series.

Money.

I'd missed that CGI swim. Terrifying.

I quite enjoyed bits of Afterlife but also find it hard to disagree with anything Limmy says in that video. The video diaries were utterly tedious after the first few episodes and there was very little subtlety with the emotional side kf the show.

It also felt like they'd run out of ideas with characters like the postman and David Earl's chap.