rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
APM

Nintendo Labo VR

The camera is ace. Nice but short build followed by a really fun game that is like the PSVR shark cage demo but much more interactive and with hidden depth.

• Upvote 1

Well my 11yo son opened his this morning and quickly built the main VR googles. He's played an amount on PSVR (mostly Beat Saber and a bit of Astro Bot), but is absolutely loving playing with the mini games in Labo VR at the moment, I can hear him giggling away downstairs.

I had a quick look and was also mighty impressed considering the tech, the head tracking is actually really impressive, and while there is a lot of screen door effect and it's quite blurry when you move your head around it's still got a good sense of presence and just basicallly works well. Top marks Nintendo.

• Upvote 2

I think they have worked wonders with it, especially considering the price. I know its all cardboard, and therefore its going to cost less, but the creations you make are surprisingly robust.

• Upvote 1

We built the camera today which the kids loved. Tonight I made a start on the blaster at my sons request ;) bloody hell its an amazing bit of engineering. All the while I was building it I kept being amazed at the design and build of the cardboard, the ingenious folds and shapes that make it work so well. I’m sure there are much ‘simpler ‘ways it could have been made, but they wouldnt have been as tactile or robust. It’s ingenious.

Also, I also wonder, did Nintendo always have Labo in mind when developing the switch? Surely they must have. The joycons are so well utilised it’s hard to believe they weren’t designed with this in mind from the start (or at least early in development).

• Upvote 2

I wish using it didn't give me near instant eye ache. I think that's just me and 3D though, the 3DS was exactly the same, PSVR too although it takes a bit longer to start with that.

I absolutely love Labo VR. I’m really excited about taking this to a family party over the weekend so that my nieces and nephews can experience it (Also my older brother). 

The £35 VR kit should be up there with BOTW and Mario when anybody recommends buying a Switch. It's so well made. No one mentions it, but even the sound works in 3D because the speakers are so close to your head. It's remarkable. 

Imagine trying to put the blaster together without the instructions. You would just die. 

I'm completely in awe at this smart arse cardboard stuff. It makes me sick.

• Upvote 4

That could be a line in the adverts...." in awe at this smart arse cardboard stuff. It makes me sick"

On 17/04/2019 at 22:23, shirubagan said:

I absolutely love Labo VR. I’m really excited about taking this to a family party over the weekend so that my nieces and nephews can experience it (Also my older brother). 

Absolutely amazing watching my family and friends lose their shit playing this! The main headset is a bit grubby and bent out of shape now, but absolutely worth seeing so many grinning faces. The camera especially was a hit purely because I think it’s so much simpler to understand than the playroom. That seems much more suited to single player exploration. 

In short: this is incredible, an essential purchase for any Switch owner and deserves to be a system-seller along with Mario Odyssey, Kart 8 and Zelda. 

• Upvote 2

The problem with VR in general is that you can't fathom how amazing it is until you try it. That's a problem if you need to spend £200+ to try it but at £35, is this is as good as this thread suggests, this opens it up to so many more people. I'm a PSVR owner but thinking about a Mario game in the style of Astro Bot makes me wet. 

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Absolutely amazing watching my family and friends lose their shit playing this! The main headset is a bit grubby and bent out of shape now, but absolutely worth seeing so many grinning faces. The camera especially was a hit purely because I think it’s so much simpler to understand than the playroom. That seems much more suited to single player exploration. 

Wish I was there, would have piped in with "Glad you're enjoying it but this isn't true VR, just so you know.'

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Capwn said:

Wish I was there, would have piped in with "Glad you're enjoying it but this isn't true VR, just so you know.'

This. All the eight-year-olds in the house wanted 4K 60fps.

Edit: they could not have given a shit

56 minutes ago, Capwn said:

It probably runs at a better framerate than The True OG Shit™

image.png.a9aab9e88be7b9e60fe808005f006739.png

• Upvote 2

Anyone have a link to buy the expansion pack (the camera and elephant)?

Like an idiot I went ahead and only ordered the starter pack, instead of the whole thing.

15 minutes ago, cohen205 said:

Is the Mario and Zelda VR update out today or tomorrow. Seems to be conflicting reports online.

Tomorrow.

• Upvote 1

On 21/04/2019 at 21:00, Capwn said:

True VR hasn’t been invented yet, so what’s your point?

Is the Zelda thing going to be shit or what? Only asking as on paper it sounds like the best thing ever. I’m going to actually get to be in hyrule.

why aren’t more people excited? It’s the best game ever in VR ! 

Because I think everyone believes it’s just going to be stereoscopic 3D. It’s not like you’d want to play holding the goggles to your face for the length of time you’d play Zelda anyway, would be super uncomfortable.

I’d be very happy to be proved wrong on the stereoscopic 3D point. If I am I’m going to have to find some way to strap it to my face!

2 hours ago, cohen205 said:

Is the Zelda thing going to be shit or what? Only asking as on paper it sounds like the best thing ever. I’m going to actually get to be in hyrule.

why aren’t more people excited? It’s the best game ever in VR ! 

I am very excited, even if it’s just stereoscopic 3D with aiming as I’ve said before I really miss the 3D from the 3DS. I have a roll of Velcro ready to make a head strap too. 

• Upvote 2

BOTW looks pretty cool when gliding off the top of a tower and it has head movement for the camera but OMG the frame rate. I wasn’t willing to go past five minutes. My stomach wouldn’t allow it. There will be parents running to tabloids with stories of Nintendo making their kids sick today.