rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
rafaqat

The 'Xbox Maverick' console will be named 'Xbox One S All-Digital Edition,' preorders in April 2019

4 minutes ago, K said:

It'll get cheaper.

When they discount it as nobody wants one at that price, maybe.

14 minutes ago, deKay said:

Again, the problem isn’t that there’s no drive. The problem is it’s cheaper to get one with a drive, which you can choose to not use if you want.

Even if you never, ever use the drive, you’re still better off getting the one with it.

That and the fact they didn't take advantage of removing the drive to make it more compact.

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, K said:

It'll get cheaper.

What @deKay said, nobody’s arguing there isn’t a market for a discless console. I think it’s a great idea, but it’s too expensive.

Of course it’ll get cheaper, but the price right now, when I actually want one, is too much.

• Upvote 1

I think the oddest decision is not to bundle it with Gold/Game Pass for 3 months, and that of the games you get one is Forza Horizon 3, and not 4. If this is designed to push subscriptions it's not off to a great start.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, JPL said:

What @deKay said, nobody’s arguing there isn’t a market for a discless console. I think it’s a great idea, but it’s too expensive.

Of course it’ll get cheaper, but the price right now, when I actually want one, is too much.

It's fifty quid cheaper than the One S, right? That feels like a reasonable saving to me. I would hazard a guess that there's a fair few people who would rather have £50 than a disk drive they'll never use.

• Upvote 3

It’s only cheaper by RRP. It’s more expensive in reality.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

I find it puzzling they didn't go with the one X. 

They want a console they can sell for less than $200 when they put it on sale. They won't be able to that with an X anytime soon. 

But isn’t this just basic marketing? Make the difference between the cheapest option and most expensive option relatively small, so you get people interested with the low entry price but then they’re tempted to buy the next one up because it’s comparatively better value. You know, like every phone sold in the last 10 years, and cinema snacks (which for some reason was the other most egregious example I could think of).

It’s also inevitable that every console will go this direction at some point during the next gen. 

2 hours ago, deKay said:

It’s only cheaper by RRP. It’s more expensive in reality.

There'll be bundles and deals coming in the coming months if not weeks. It's pretty standard to release a new bit of kit at its full rrp first just to establish its perceived value in the market. All console manufacturers do this. 

Which is why they need to cut the price. It’s a cut down budget system so it needs to come out at a price that reflects that.

7 hours ago, Stanley said:

That and the fact they didn't take advantage of removing the drive to make it more compact.

That would have cost them a lot more in design and manufacturing. This is a late in lifecycle test before the next generation.

On 21/04/2019 at 17:37, deKay said:

Which is why they need to cut the price. It’s a cut down budget system so it needs to come out at a price that reflects that.

They literally took the existing Xbox One S hardware design and just didn't bother installing the optical drive at the factory and put it in a new housing. They've priced it below what they want to sell the regular Xbox One S at.

The problem being that because Microsoft clearly have way less attraction to most consumers, they have been forced to sell the Xbox One S at well below the price they would prefer to sell it at, which is the SRP (which is also the price you will pay if you buy it directly from Microsoft).

Neither of their competitors have to sell their hardware at way below SRP and the average street price of their machines is close to the SRP.

It's an interesting problem for Microsoft. People have gotten so used to Microsoft being forced to sell hardware at minimal or zero profit margin to gain customers that they now inherently expect this from them.

On 20/04/2019 at 18:56, bear said:

If they sold it with a code for 3-6 months of Gamepass+Live instead of the packaged games it'd be a lot more appealing. 

Considering the 3 games included are all part of game pass, I have no idea why they didn't do this. Stick a 5 month GP code in there, by that point players will be well into their games and likely resubscribe to continue.

15 hours ago, mushashi said:

They literally took the existing Xbox One S hardware design and just didn't bother installing the optical drive at the factory and put it in a new housing. They've priced it below what they want to sell the regular Xbox One S at.

The problem being that because Microsoft clearly have way less attraction to most consumers, they have been forced to sell the Xbox One S at well below the price they would prefer to sell it at, which is the SRP (which is also the price you will pay if you buy it directly from Microsoft).

Neither of their competitors have to sell their hardware at way below SRP and the average street price of their machines is close to the SRP.

It's an interesting problem for Microsoft. People have gotten so used to Microsoft being forced to sell hardware at minimal or zero profit margin to gain customers that they now inherently expect this from them.

I think the actual problem here is that they've put in no effort to redesign the hardware to make it more attractive for newer or existing customers who like the sound of an all digital/streaming console but also expect its design to follow that of other such diskless devices on the market (laptops, tablets, Switch, Apple TV) by making it smaller more compact and space efficient, and that's regardless of price. 

• Upvote 1

If they were going to go to the effort of making a whole new hardware revision for this machine, they'd make a new hardware revision of the original S as well (the benefits in having a much smaller motherboard, power consumption etc. would equally apply). The fact that they have made a diskless SKU which is just the current hardware without an optical drive suggests they probably aren't interested in - or more likely, able to - make such drastic changes at this stage in the console's life cycle.

It's not like they can flip a switch and come up with a console that scratches all of these itches at once. I imagine that the current Xbox One S is not being sold at an enormous margin.

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

If they were going to go to the effort of making a whole new hardware revision for this machine, they'd make a new hardware revision of the original S as well (the benefits in having a much smaller motherboard, power consumption etc. would equally apply). The fact that they have made a diskless SKU which is just the current hardware without an optical drive suggests they probably aren't interested in - or more likely, able to - make such drastic changes at this stage in the console's life cycle.

It's not like they can flip a switch and come up with a console that scratches all of these itches at once. I imagine that the current Xbox One S is not being sold at an enormous margin.

If they are not interested they shouldn't bother IMO. I think anything like this needs more care and attention in order to gauge more accurately consumer reaction to such a device.

What they've come up with is the iPod in the body of a Walkman.

Yeah, I’m not sure it adds up. I hope whoever’s idea this was doesn’t put too much stock in its implications for how much consumers love optical drives.

13 hours ago, Boozy The Clown said:

Horizon 3 ain't on Gamepass.

Really? I thought it was. Ah well, I still think it would be better with a GP sub.

Try Forza Horizon 3, like it, and then look at your options for Forza Horizon 4 and you'll see Game Pass on the purchase screen. It's pretty much an advert for Game Pass as is.

It looks really overpriced when you see it like this...

Screenshot_20190427-102511.png

• Upvote 2

Yeah but you're getting so much more for your money, like...er....um...er...

LOOK it's cheaper if you just focus on the SRP/RRP so do that! Don't look at real world prices, THEY'RE IRRELEVANT.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

How many games are you getting with the £200 one?

Three. Minecraft, Sea of Thieves & Forza Horizon 3.

Just now, Stanley said:

Three. Minecraft, Sea of Thieves & Forza Horizon 3.

Sorry, meant the £180 one. I think the all-digital console is stupid, but it's a bit daft to make a comparison to what looks like a console on its own.

1 minute ago, Super Craig said:

Sorry, meant the £180 one. I think the all-digital console is stupid, but it's a bit daft to make a comparison to what looks like a console on its own.

Whilst those games are yours to keep on the SAD it's also worth pointing out that two of them (SOT and Minecraft) are on Game Pass, as is Forza Horizon 4. You could also get a deal with Amazon for £210 with two recent games and sell them on if you didn't want them. So I think the comparison is entirely valid - you'd have to be daft to choose the SAD over a regular S right now IMO.