rafaqat

The 'Xbox Maverick' console will be named 'Xbox One S All-Digital Edition,' preorders in April 2019

41 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Why is this not called the “Xbox Mattrick”? 

No Kinect... :D  But agree should be..  :)  Interesting to see how this sells these days given the mass of negative feedback when the One was announced back in mid 2013.... 

41 minutes ago, dave7g said:

I think I might actually. Cheap enough.

But that’s the point - it’s not. You can get all that now, and the ability to play discs, for pretty much the same price.

I have a One S here which came with 1Tb, the Gears 4 bundle. I know it doesn't really jive with the discussion because we're talking retail but when I upgraded to a One X 18 months ago I looked into selling it, boxed immaculate and I think they were fetching between £130-50. I decided to keep it at that price and put it in the bedroom.

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Why is this not called the “Xbox Mattrick”? 

Apparently the correct nickname for the Xbox One S All Digital is Xbone SAD! 

• Upvote 2

It seems like a wasted opportunity to go down that nicknaming road, and not manage the leap to SAD tromBone. And put an X in there somewhere, I guess.

• Upvote 6

This is seriously priced too high. A quick check on Amazon shows you can buy a brand new 1TB Xbox One S (inc. disc drive!) with Forza Horizon 4 (not 3) and either Battlefield V, Division 2 or Anthem for £209.

What is the point in buying this which gives you less for your money? Bizarre.

It really needs to be priced at £99.

• Upvote 5

On ‎08‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 09:37, JamesTW said:

I honestly thought Xbox had closed down in about 2015

What an odd post.  Either a troll or an admission of being completely out of touch with the medium.

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 23:30, bear said:

If you've got a good PC you won't need to buy an Xbox anyway.

You might need to use the Windows store though which could threaten your fertility. I read that on the internet so it must be true.

Disagree as a 2080ti owner.  Very happy with my XO X.

It's a shame they couldn't redesign it to be smaller. Doesn't the disc drive take up a huge chunk of space? Prob too costly to be worth it but I don't see the appeal the way it is.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jamesy said:

It's a shame they couldn't redesign it to be smaller. Doesn't the disc drive take up a huge chunk of space? Prob too costly to be worth it but I don't see the appeal the way it is.

Yeah, the guts are the same, the only mould they have to do from new is the top of the case with no disc slot. I should imagine reconfiguring the electronics inside to make them more compact is a cost they don't need.

3 minutes ago, jamesy said:

Indeed. Guessing they are using the S design though so have the toolchain packaging in place to drop them out.

Something the size of an Apple TV unit might have been really appealing though...  Even better with an SSD too... (that would have pushed the price up though!)

Presumably this is MS testing the water ahead of next gen to see what demand for a discless system looks like. They weren't ever going to go to the expense of changing the design or making it significantly more expensive with an SSD. They want it to be as close to the existing box as possible bar a disc drive so they can make a meaningful comparison. 

20 hours ago, dave7g said:

I think I might actually. Cheap enough.

It's an awful price. Compaired to what you can get now. Here's some deals on Amazon right now from the Amazon thread:

On 07/04/2019 at 09:09, Mr Tony said:

Xbox One S Console Bundles

Xbox One S 1TB Division 2 console + Forza Horizon 4 - £209 - Affiliate - Standard

Xbox One S 1TB Battlefield 5 console + Forza Horizon 4 - £209 - Affiliate - Standard

Xbox One S 1TB Anthem console + Forza Horizon 4 - £209 - Affiliate - Standard

1TB Console, a couple of very recent games and a disc drive for £209. Much better deal than their digital only machine, which is pretty much just a standard S with the drive removed.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, AI1 said:

What is the point in buying this which gives you less for your money? Bizarre.

It really needs to be priced at £99.

Even at £149 I'd have been tempted for the bedroom. If they had redesigned the shape of it and slimmed it down a bit since it has no disc drive I think they could have justified the higher price. I'd have picked it up at £200ish if it was an Xbox One S Mini or something similar.

• Upvote 1

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the company which is offering good bundles/special offers for their console with an optical drive will also offer good bundles/special offers for their console without an optical drive. 

And it's clearly smaller than the regular S. 

• Upvote 3

It’s a shame they couldn’t do a spec bump to at least match the PS4 in performance / target 1080p. Putting this out with the intention of it having a few years shelf life seems an opportunity missed to make it the base model going forward . 

Plus it should indeed be smaller and cheaper. It’s a bit disappointing. 

4 minutes ago, Super Craig said:

Adding a third Xbox One performance profile when some developers aren't supporting the existing two would be madness.

I just mean some kinda cpu overclock enough to scale up. I guess I don’t really care as I use an X. But a nice small diskless model for bedroom would be nice. 

3 hours ago, petrolgirls said:

Presumably this is MS testing the water ahead of next gen to see what demand for a discless system looks like. They weren't ever going to go to the expense of changing the design or making it significantly more expensive with an SSD. They want it to be as close to the existing box as possible bar a disc drive so they can make a meaningful comparison. 

How will this work though? It’s overpriced for what it is, most people have already made their console purchases for this gen, it’s not had an aesthetic redesign to differentiate it and it doesn’t appear to be getting a decent marketing push.

How are they going to be able to judge demand in such completely different circumstances to a regular console launch?

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, bear said:

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the company which is offering good bundles/special offers for their console with an optical drive will also offer good bundles/special offers for their console without an optical drive. 

True, but I doubt there will be anything major for a while.

1 hour ago, bear said:

And it's clearly smaller than the regular S. 

It isn't.

By pricing this as they have (£200-£230) and as a consumer (who would then have to buy all their games through Microsoft Store: £RRP+++), I would expect some/all of the following at that price: significant changes to the size/design of the console, include a 2TB HDD minimum (seeing as it's all digital) and a 12 month Gold/Game Pass sub included. It's quite apparent that the only one who benefits from removing the disc drive is Microsoft. As a customer (at that price point) it's lose, lose. As I said earlier - £99, fine, whatever.

For example, a quick check at the Xbox digital store shows Forza 7 Standard Edition £39.99. Amazon disc price £27.85 (new). Other Amazon sellers: £12 (second hand). Upcoming new Star Wars game £59.99...you get the point.

Imagine being an unaware parent at Christmas and buying this with some cheap disc games for Little Johnny and wondering where the discs go. Then realising Microsoft have basically ruined Christmas and Little Johnny has to be put into care due to you having a mental/nervous breakdown.

In conclusion: Fuck you Microsoft, ya robbin' bastards.

• Upvote 1

Yes, this will be destroyed in the marketplace in much the same way that the 1TB Xbox One S, with its laughable £250 RRP, has simply never been able to compete with the £190 PS4 Slim bundle I bought from Shopto in a Black Friday sale. What were they even thinking releasing a console with an RRP lower than the existing one, but higher than the cheapest online price of the existing one.

All this talk of Amazon, perhaps, slapping a similar discount on this console as it did on the previous one is an absolute fantasy.

Also in the 'Asda price' image above, it states 4K Ultra HD/HDR. What does that relate to now it has no BluRay UHD drive? Streaming Netflix? 

2 hours ago, Mr Tony said:

True, but I doubt there will be anything major for a while.

It isn't.

One of the winfuture images shows the console with an Xbox controller on top of it. Compared to the same style of image of a regular S the discless version looks smaller.