rllmuk
Goose

Midsommar - New Film From Hereditary Director Avi Aster

If you’re interested in seeing it then I think it’s absolutely a cinema experience, not just for the imagery but the sensation of being hit by a wall of sound really added to the delirium of certain sequences.

• Upvote 2

I thought the music was great although when "original score by ..." came up in the end credits I did wonder if the person who scored Lords of Salem would dispute how original it actually was.

I decided to watch it in the cinema in the end. So glad I did, it's an instant cult classic for me and I just know it will stick with me a long time. One of those films where I was really excited to come home, go on youtube and watch various theory videos. Shoots straight to no1 movie of the year so far for me, ahead of The Favorite which is no mean feat.  

• Upvote 5

I wasn't a fan of Hereditary, bar one superb scene. I'm normally quite skeptical of these new horror saviours.

This was by and far the best 'Hollywood' horror film since the original Blair Witch. A stunning blend of scope, cinematography, sound, psychedelia. Holy fuck what a film.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Dark Soldier said:

I wasn't a fan of Hereditary, bar one superb scene. I'm normally quite skeptical of these new horror saviours.

This was by and far the best 'Hollywood' horror film since the original Blair Witch. A stunning blend of scope, cinematography, sound, psychedelia. Holy fuck what a film.

It is fucking great but the pedant in me feels it necessary to point out that it isn't a Hollywood film hence why it's so good probably haha!

9 minutes ago, Minion said:

It is fucking great but the pedant in me feels it necessary to point out that it isn't a Hollywood film hence why it's so good probably haha!

By Hollywood I basically meant horror with American accents :lol:

I'm about half-way through this at the moment, and struggling to go forward as it's making me a little uneasy if I'm honest. 

Damn this is a step-up from Hereditary.

And by god it's such a lovely looking film in places, which I think adds to the effect of it all.

Had heard some iffy things about this, few reviews claiming it was a poor follow up to Hereditary, which I absolutely loved, like top five horror films loved. I'm glad to say that I don't agree with the negative reviews I've seen and loved it, a worthy follow up in my eyes.

Talking of eyes, man he nailed the old emulating LSD trip visuals for once. All the vegetation effects, subtle and no almost gave me flashbacks lol. It really nailed the whole tripping in a sunny field with a bunch of friends vibe. Wavy man!

I love the whole batshit Pagan thing, ever since seeing the Wicker Man in the mid 80s it's been something that fascinates and chills me and Aster nails that x10 in both of his last two films.

Can't wait for what he does next, I'm all aboard and hoping it's in a similar vein.

Purple Ohm out of 10.

• Upvote 4

I liked this a lot more than Hereditary as well. Florence Pugh was amazing and anyone who has had a bad trip, panic attacks or anxiety will find her very relatable. Agree it was surprisingly funny in parts but also I felt full of dread throughout. Saw it last night and been thinking about it all day! 

• Upvote 1

On 28/09/2019 at 14:29, grindmouse said:

Is either cut on VOD yet? Eager to watch it but will wait for advice on which cut to choose.

The theatrical is. Reilly intrigued by the director's cut, though.

Saw this last night. I'm not sure what to think. Visually beatiful, a good lead, some gross, disturbing themes... it got a little silly. The third act is bananas.

I liked Hereditary a lot more, but I keep thinking about Midsomar and want to watch it again.

Just saw this and it pretty much contained everything I could have hoped for in a modern horror movie.

Spoiler
  • Horribly disturbing opening ten minutes - check
  • Visceral head-cavings in - check
  • Pubes in a pie - check
  • Gradual depletion of outsiders with off-screen deaths - check
  • Ceremonial sex scene including encouragement from the future mother-in-law - check
  • Literal bear costume - check

This was better than Hereditary because it avoided supernatural causes. The cast performances were terrific, the look and camerawork stunning, the music and tone nerve-jangling.

I particularly enjoyed how the petty tensions between the main characters developed, grounding this despite the ever growing weirdness of their situation.

The ending was a bit cliched but what a ride!

• Upvote 2

On 30/09/2019 at 16:11, Shoes said:

Saw this last night. I'm not sure what to think. Visually beatiful, a good lead, some gross, disturbing themes... it got a little silly. The third act is bananas.

I think this about sums it up for me and in the end I was getting a little bored if I'm being honest. Hereditary started well too and then went shit in the last 3rd. Maybe its something the director struggles with.

I'd put this on par with Hereditary, both 3/5 films. Shame because I'd much rather love them along with others but I just didnt feel this at all really.

• Upvote 2

Thought this was great. Not as unpredictable as Hereditary, but still a very enjoyable movie. Florence Pugh is a pretty amazing actress, and basically held it all together. Aster's directing style is a really odd one which I like... I thought parts of Hereditary were unintentionally funny, but now that I've seen this, I think maybe they were intentional. I found myself laughing at odd moments during Midsommar, and then wondering why I was laughing. He somehow nails creepy and funny at the same time. I'd say, along with S. Craig Zahler, he's one of the few modern directors whose next film I look forward to.

• Upvote 3

Just watched this via Prime. Enjoyed most of it but the spectre of The Wicker Man was omnipresent throughout. It was a bit too indebted to it.

Spoiler

I was a bit let down by Mark dying off-screen, as he was clearly written to be the most annoying character. I liked the end though, particularly the nasty twist of the two sacrifices from their own people being lied to about not feeling any pain. Christian's face as he was being burnt alive in the bear is something I'll remember for a while too.

After an excellent opening, I thought this got progressively worse as it went on.

Spoiler

As others have mentioned, there were a few laugh out loud moments, though I'm not sure how many were intentional. The sex scene was hilarious, and I'm not sure what was going on with the obvious dummy dead bodies they were using. I just didn't care by the time the incredibly lazy wicker man rip off ending came round. Maybe if it had been an hour shorter I might have been more forgiving. I much preferred hereditary.

• Upvote 4

I saw this at the weekend, and loved it. A really great flick, and while the story doesn’t hang together it was a sublime bit of world building. The trippy details were terrific.

Spoiler

Surely the cops will be all over that place though? All the families will know where the kids went (beyond the obvious groups, there were other visitors) - and they were never heard of again!

I thought this was exceptional, a constant heavy atmosphere throughout the film and really tense and unnerving. Looking forward to whatever the director does next.

• Upvote 2