rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Ste Pickford

Freaky Dancing, The Complete Collection book (comic)

Post it in the Watchtower thread as well Ste. It's not all Capes and spandex.  Oh and congrats on the book. 

• Upvote 1

I'm sure I picked one of these up in about 89/90 on a trip to Eastern Bloc. We where up from Liverpool to buy some tickets for a night somewhere (not at the Hacienda) that 3Beat didn't have, I grabbed a few flyers whilst I was there and can remember some strange hand drawn pamphlet in my haul. Long time ago and I've long since discarded all that stuff. Just really rings a bell.

• Upvote 1

By the end we did start selling them.  The last three issues were for sale, rather than just given out free, so we probably would have had some in Eastern Bloc.  You should have kept it - not many originals left now (which is partly why we did the book) - they go for a few quid on ebay!

Ste, there is so much from that time period I wish I still had, from now rare 12" discs, to cassettes, to flyers, and now this lol. You know the real thing that hurts, I don't have a single photo of those days. Not one. The crowd I ran with just weren't the camera type. If there was one thing I could change from my dance fanatic days it would be that I'd have taken one of those throwaway kodak jobs along with me. Some of the amazing nights and shenanigans we got up to, now seem so crazy I have to question myself whether they really happened. Like the time I thought I'd had a heart attack whilst driving to Norfolk to Helter Skelter. I'd been sat in the back squashed up against three pals, I'd already been on a bit of a mad one the night before at a club called the Underground in Liverpool. I just wasn't in any shape to be squashed in the back of a Sierra that looked like king Willies cadillac out of Predator 2, y'know, fumes, driving hundreds of miles to a massive rave. We were running late and on some pitch black A road and I just started losing it, screaming at my mate to pull over, he eventually started to slow down and got down to about 5 mph and I threw the door open and rolled along the road. After about 5 mins of me freaking out my mate Warren actually slapped me, like the scene out of airplane. These guys were desperate to get to this place, remember this is long before sat nav and there was a 1am no admittance to the warehouse. But I was convinced I was dying and made them drive me to the nearest hospital. Fuck knows how we found it but we did, a little tiny one in the back of beyond. So the clocks ticking, my mates are getting really agitated but I got to see the Dr. I remember sitting on a chair with the blood pressure thing and getting some other tests and I'm saying "be honest doc, am I dying?" and he just laughs and says "son you're fit as a fiddle, you've had a panic attack". Like a shot, as soon as he said I was fine, I felt fine, I felt great in fact. I went from breathing my last to shitting we've wasted all that time and money on a night that might not happen. We asked the nurse to ring the venue and give them some blarney about letting us in if we were late. Yeah as if that would have helped. Anyway we made it, I had many Doves and it was a freaking awesome night in the end. Although my mate fell asleep 3 miles from home and nearly killed us by writing his brand new car off in the central reservation the following morning. Like I say, crazy. Sorry for the ramble but your post and me remembering about actually having an issue put me in nostalgia mode.

Brilliant to think you were in the thick of the scene back then. 

• Upvote 2

Hah, what a brilliant story!

I'm the same with photos.  The number of photos I have of me around that time is in single figures. I found one that I could use at the end of the book, of me and the other editor, and three of the contributors at a party, but really the fanzine itself is the only real documentation we have of that time.

A friend on Facebook said he showed the book to his 14 year old lad, who found it kinda fascinating.  His dad asked him if he could imagine him and his friends creating something like that now, and the lad replied, "why would we? We've got Instagram."

• Upvote 1

Yeah fanzines were such a big part of scenes back in the days. Punk, football, the House scene, Computer games etc. Never really thought about whether they had breathed their last in the digital era. Hopefully some people are still putting them together, maybe in certain circles they still thrive. 

p.s good luck with the book, will throw down for one. Love Gerald btw, still have Hot Lemonade somewhere.