GamesGamesGames

Ape Out - Aesthetically goshdarned lovely smash-em-up.

This looks fantastic! Love the visual style and that music is incredible, the way the drums accentuate the action. Wishlisted for now, but I'm definitely getting it.

Haven't had chance to play it yet, but from what I've read it's quite a different animal to Hotline: Miami (pun intended). It doesn't look to be instakill, or if it is then the guards don't react so quickly as to make it a twitchfest.

God just look and listen to it though. That animation and heft. Proper weight to those smashes. It's just how I like a game to look, and if it plays with a similar responsiveness I might even switch from Tetley to PG.

2 hours ago, Stejay said:

I’ve just asked about this in the Nintendo eShop thread. I’m crap at Hotline Miami, but fancy this. Is it as hard?

It’s slightly nore forgiving and less fiddly. It takes three shots (or one big explosion) to kill you so you have a little leeway. The guards take a second to react as well. On the other hand you don’t have guns so sometimes you have to leg it round a corner.

2 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

it's quite a different animal to Hotline: Miami (pun intended).

Hotline Harambe, as I call it now.

• Upvote 4

I’m not enjoying this quite as much as I thought I would, unfortunately. Will try it in handheld with headphones rather than on the telly and see if it makes a difference.

• Empathy 1

1 hour ago, DukeOfEarlsfield said:

It’s slightly nore forgiving and less fiddly. It takes three shots (or one big explosion) to kill you so you have a little leeway. The guards take a second to react as well. On the other hand you don’t have guns so sometimes you have to leg it round a corner

Sounds like it may well be worth me trying it. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Eighthours said:

I’m not enjoying this quite as much as I thought I would, unfortunately. Will try it in handheld with headphones rather than on the telly and see if it makes a difference.

My brain said 'don't buy you've been fooled by quirky graphics in indie games so many times', but my heart said 'buy it buy it'

So I bought it.

I got bored during first level - I know I've not given it enough time but it feels like a 99p iPhone game and I not felt any urge to go back since Friday.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Had a lot of fun with this over the weekend. Definitely a game you get into a groove with, some real inventiveness on display as well through the levels. It’s a fair bit more abstract than Hotline Miami, and is more random so you’re doing more on the fly decision making - Hotline Miami every enemy started from exactly the same point so you could  plan and perfect a route

I'm kinda enjoying this, but also not. I love the art style, and I really like playing by seeing through it (makes sense when you're on the dark levels). But I think it fails as a decent game. I'm not getting that much better at it, regardless of how much I play. I'm muddling through at best. It's one of those games where if the random number generator is against you then you are absolutely fucked. And if that happens twelve times in a row you are going to have a miserable time of things.

Just running through the level trying to find the exit seems to be a more valid tactic than actually engaging with the level mechanics a lot of the time. I've probably finished at least half the levels I've completed that way (after dozens of more controlled attempts failed miserably).  Then again, maybe I'm just a rubbish gorilla...