rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

1 minute ago, HarryBizzle said:

I’m on Dathomir and haven’t found a single sabre colour variant. 

There is a point in the plot where you get to choose a colour. You never find any colours, however if you go to a workbench you should just be able to change the colour of your lightsaber anyway at any point in the game (which makes it seem slightly weird when you do it in the plot).

Yeah, I was mucking about with orange for a good while but have gone to green. Goes well with the red scenery in Dathomir.

Story wise:

Spoiler

I hope we find out who the Wanderer is. Looks like Eno Cordova if he lost a bit of chub and grew his beard out.

5 hours ago, JoeK said:

Well, clearly the mark of a good game is how it feels on the second run through. 

Delighted to say I'm enjoying it just as much - if not more so :D .

Currently playing it on the Pro, but definitely planning on playing it on the X.

Its a bit like Control.  First playthrough PC to enjoy the Ray Tracing, second playthrough on Pro.  I definitely enjoyed my 2nd run on the Pro more.  No doubt at some point I'll play it again on my X.

Kind of similar to Shadow of the Tomb Raider.  3 Playthroughs done.  if a game really clicks multiple play throughs are great.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Yeah, I was mucking about with orange for a good while but have gone to green. Goes well with the red scenery in Dathomir.

Story wise:

Hide contents

I hope we find out who the Wanderer is. Looks like Eno Cordova if he lost a bit of chub and grew his beard out.

It's Sir Ian Mckellen. I can't use see it

20 minutes ago, Scruff said:

Hide contents

It's Sir Ian Mckellen. I can't use see it

Bastard! 

Now that’s all I see!

• Upvote 1

This is a poor metric to assess a game against, but whenever I'm playing this, I can't help but think "holy fuck, the sixteen year-old me would lose his shit if he could see this". I mean, visually, this is better than some of the CGI they used in the 1997 Special Editions. I can play a game where the visuals hold up in comparison to ILM's nineties FX work. That is pretty impressive.

• Upvote 3

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

This thing chasing me up a climbing wall is really pissing me off. I keep failing and I’m not sure why. 

Spoiler

The flying bat thing? Are you dodging the falling rocks? IIRC there are bits that you can't climb straight up so have to dodge a little to the left and right too..

• Upvote 1

Had to drop difficulty down from Master to Knight.

Spoiler

It was the second Second Sister fight, tough as nails, but then I am rubbish at games these days.

The reveal of who the Second Sister is was a little naff. Was hoping to see Bariss Offee, the terrorist Jedi.

The combat in this needs better feedback for parrying, and for showing how close you or your opponent are to having their guard broken. It’s possibly just me, but I find it hard to tell when I’ve successfully parried someone, and the mechanics around whether you’ve knocked someone off-balance are a bit opaque. It’s not so bad with the cannon fodder enemies, but the one on one duels with Purge Troopers can feel a bit random on Jedi Master difficulty.

It’s odd that the combat in this clearly owes so much to Sekiro, given that Sekiro came out in March this year, and this has been in development since 2016. What was the combat like before March?

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, K said:

The combat in this needs better feedback for parrying, and for showing how close you or your opponent are to having their guard broken.

Indeed, the combat is as vague as it is simplistic.

It's the sabres though - the noise of them along with their glow masks the proper audible and visual feedback needed to make it an enjoyable mechanic. The opponent guard break/stamina is shown by the white bar though...

The white bar is block. If it gets reduced to zero the enemy goes into a stun state and you get some free hits whereupon the block bar refills. Hitting an enemy with standard / heavy attacks reduces the block bar but using a parry is highly more effective at reducing it.

You can attack enemies when they are in certain vulnerable positions (inbetween attacks, get behind them), doing so deals direct damage (Im not sure if this also resets any progress you've made in breaking their guard). Some baddies are so weak their block bar is irrelevant and you instantly smash through their defences anyway.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, Mike S said:

Indeed, the combat is as vague as it is simplistic.

It's the sabres though - the noise of them along with their glow masks the proper audible and visual feedback needed to make it an enjoyable mechanic. The opponent guard break/stamina is shown by the white bar though...

I reckon they could have had some intense, prominent visual / audio effect to let you know when you've successfully parried someone. The one in Sekiro was like a bell ringing, I'm sure they could have come up with a more Star Wars-ey one that fit in with the overall sound design and cut through the general lightsaber racket - maybe even go the other way and have the sound drop out when you parry, like those mad space bombs in the asteroid chase from Attack of the Clones, or the bit where Holdo hyperspaces through the imperial fleet in the Last Jedi.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, K said:

I reckon they could have had some intense, prominent visual / audio effect to let you know when you've successfully parried someone. The one in Sekiro was like a bell ringing, I'm sure they could have come up with a more Star Wars-ey one that fit in with the overall sound design and cut through the general lightsaber racket - maybe even go the other way and have the sound drop out when you parry, like those mad space bombs in the asteroid chase from Attack of the Clones, or the bit where Holdo hyperspaces through the imperial fleet in the Last Jedi.

It could definitely be a bit clearer. I felt like I understood it fairly well and still had plenty of moments where I hadn't realised I'd pushed someone into a stun state. Just one of the many little improvements will no doubt filter into a sequel I am already desperate for. I don't think it's remotely the best game of the year but it's easily my favourite!

• Upvote 1

I’ve generally been ok with Dathomir, it feels tense but I have to say it feels like peak Dark Souls artificial difficulty with all the hidden enemies. The spiders which explode after you’ve killed them and big things that take a last swing at you even after killing them add to this general feeling. 

The boss:

Spoiler

The Gorgora fight was pretty good while in the cave. After that I thought it was crap. 

The skydiving stuff just feels like it should be a cutscene. The player input is minimal, finicky and when you fail it it just breaks up the flow of things.

I also don't really get why you'd have a block mechanic if lightsabers don't kill in one hit? You've got a perfect opportunity to build a game in which baddies are just really good at blocking and still make the sabres feel lethal when you wear them down. 

I really like the combat when it works, though. A few tweaks to the parry obviousness would be great, but as I'm getting to grips with powers/upgrades I'm having more and more moments where I feel like an actual badass Jedi bastard. The post combat lightsaber swing animations help with this, obviously. 

It's such a strange game. In a single hour long session I'll have 3 or 4 bits that feel like a straight up 9/10 belter, and as many that feel like a double A 360 game. I really like it, it's just an odd one. 

1 hour ago, K said:

I reckon they could have had some intense, prominent visual / audio effect to let you know when you've successfully parried someone.

Agreed. It needs to be more prominent.

1 hour ago, mikeyl said:

The haunted sister or whatever she’s called is the best video game character since Welsh Nia from xenoblade 

She's wonderfully animated and voice acted too. If they get around to making a sequel she needs to be a playable character as well.

• Upvote 1

And done. Slow opening aside that was fantastic. A real ‘smoothie’ of different games that worked well 

Amazing use of Vadar!!!

Played on hard and other than a few spikes it wasn’t too bad.

Not many collectibles left to hoover up but not too sure I can be bothered

Regarding everyone's least favourite part of the game, I think they've patched it. 

Spoiler

Just did the Gorgara a second time, and only failed one of the skydiving sections, and that was only once. The game seems to guide you more toward where you need to be now. Of course, it could just be because I've played it before, but it does feel different. 

I'm no longer getting most of the level taking ages to load in, but the I/O stutter is still there post patch.

I think I'm on the last boss and the more I've played of this, the less I've agreed with the EG reviewer. I think she said it's first 10 hours are great and then it's a tedious slog with lots of backtracking and a story that never gets off the ground.

I think it hits it's stride a few hours in and then just keeps getting better and better. I also think the story is pretty good - at least in the second half. Was she expecting to you kill the Emperor at the end? A couple of the characters are really interesting (not Cere and Greez seems massively underused).

As for backtracking, I don't think there's that much at all, actually. A bit in Bogano, but you can zip about the place really quickly at that point, and a bit in Zeffo. Very little trudgy backtracking in the rest of the game unless you're looking for the pointless collectibles.

Anyway, hoping to finish it tomorrow, but that last boss is a bit of a toughie.

• Upvote 6

The story, from a Star Wars prequel point of view, is fucking excellent. The EG reviewer is a twat. 

As for the last boss. Stick to single saber. 

On a different note, I know people like Merrin and her actress in this, but she annoys me because she says Dothamir instead of Dathomir. :angry: