rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

I don't normally get too affected or bothered by frame rate issues (so long as they're not horrendously bad). But watching the GiantBomb QL of this the dodgy frame rate at times was making me feel funny :(

Also there's something weird about some of the look of the game to me. There's a slight stylisation to the characters that looks... off. And the animation appears to be a bit odd too - when the player character is running he has a stiff awkward gait, combined with that Uncharted floatiness

I watched my mate play this via share play last night and I said it looked weird. The main character looks all puffy.

I saw the cut scene models pop in as they switched from gameplay one which was really strange too. The level design looks like a PS3 game done up for PS4. That blocky section by section non sensical placement of things.

I do think it’s probably a good game to play though, it looks responsive even if it also look dark and dingy.

I’d get it for a tenner for sure.

Just now, Harrisown said:

I watched my mate play this via share play last night and I said it looked weird. The main character looks all puffy.

I saw the cut scene models pop in as they switched from gameplay one which was really strange too. The level design looks like a PS3 game done up for PS4. That blocky section by section non sensical placement of things.

I do think it’s probably a good game to play though, it looks responsive even if it also look dark and dingy.

I’d get it for a tenner for sure.

It's definitely fairly old-school in gameplay, that's for sure. 

The 3d map is fucking useless.

However, it is good fun to play, but it's definitely a 'AA' game as opposed to top tier. In pretty much every way, shape and form.

• Upvote 1

There’s this odd theme of them just making life difficult for you for no apparent reason. Most obvious is the map - it’s really not obvious what the quickest way to get somewhere is and I had to sit there staring at it, rotating and angling it before figuring out the shortcut on Zeffo probably doesn’t take me to the objective and I could always try but it’s not worth the risk of ending up stuck and having to traipse back here, so I’ll just run through the whole level the way I did it the first time. Which, amazingly, turned out to be correct. It obviously needs a fast travel. 

You also sometimes have to right stick to interact with things, except for the stuff you want BD-1 to interact with, which you have to press down on the d-pad for. There’s no meaningful difference to the player, so why not just streamline it?

And then there’s this whole “press left trigger to climb.” Except you don’t seem to need to do this once you’re on there, and you don’t need to do it to attach to vines or ledges, so what purpose does it serve? It’s not the type of game where you’re going to get annoyed because you just can’t stop sticking to walls.

But I am at least enjoying it more, despite my frustrations with it. It seems to have hit its stride with Kashyyyk. 

• Empathy 1

The first hour of this is fantastic. Evokes the best memories of Uncharted and Tomb Raider. I'm not expecting it to stay this excellent throughout, but I hope it reaches similar peaks. The 3D map is bobbins though.

Definitely going to watch for some patches before buying. Not just for the frame rate issues, but the repeated desire for a fast-travel option (which I’ve seen from both reviewers and players) is something I think Respawn will accommodate. 

Yeah this stinks of being rushed out to meet a release date. Textures not loading in properly, sliding on nothing only for ice to load once I reach the bottom, incredibly long load times, mid level loading blips. It's a shame, because a lot of what the game does seems to go against what EA have been peddling this gen, but yet again they rush a product out and it harms it in the long run. 

A tip for those playing on the meatier consoles that are experiencing frame rate problems, turn off performance mode. It runs at a pretty steady 30 but blips when trying to hit 60. 

I'm really enjoying this! I loved the opening junkyard level, with all the wrecked ships and battle walkers from the clone wars. They've absolutely nailed the Star Wars feeling; the combat seems pretty challenging on the second from top setting, although the AI is astonishingly dense even by the standards of stormtroopers given that they generally just mill about until you walk right in front of them, even if you're chopping up one of their colleagues twenty feet away. The difficulty really sells the idea that you're this scared, inexperienced trainee Jedi who's way out of his depth, and is pretty much just flailing around with a lightsabre.

The story seems a bit tentative - they're really taking the path of least resistance with regard to introducing characters, in that they pretty much just walk onto set when it's their turn. The lavish production values are a bit jarring next to the occasionally clumsy script. Like, there's a bit where the main character decides to do something, and there are no other characters around draw out his motivation for doing so, so he just sits down and narrates his own inner thoughts for a bit. The structure of the story feels really solid, but it feels like they needed another draft or two to really join the dots.

But man, the atmosphere. There's a bit on the second planet, where you can see all these ILM puppet aliens scampering around, and you turn round to see your ship gleaming under the reflection of two suns, with a gas giant in the background, and it's the best evocation of the feel of Star Wars since the original Kotor. 

Couple of questions: if you die, do you lose any skill points you've accumulated, or just any XP in the bar? And how do you do the kick move? I've unlocked it, but can't seem to pull it off.

• Upvote 5

@K You only lose XP. Points remain. I've got a few sitting around because most of the current powers look boring.

You kick by dodging but staying in range, so more often or not a side dodge, rather than backwards. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Anyone playing this on its highest difficulty setting? Would like to know how the challenge is.

Well, it's definitely challenging, but in a good way. You really have to nail your parries and dodges, and prioritise certain enemies. While it's not as hard as Sekiro, it's basically Star Wars Sekiro and that's a good thing in my book. I'd go as far as saying it's my favourite combat experience since From's game. I died a fair few times, though a lot of those deaths were me trying to jump away from attacks instead of rolling. But yeah, it seems a good difficulty level if you want to get the most out of the combat and a good challenge to go with that.

Really enjoying the rest of the game as well. It nails the atmosphere and exploring nooks and crannies, unlocking shortcuts and finding secrets and lore is very enjoyable.

The game generally runs a like a dream on my PC, though I had massive crash early on.

• Upvote 2

Very early Kashyyyk spoiler:

Spoiler

I loved the bit where you control the AT-AT. Absolutely brilliant. 

I also can’t get enough of this bit, where the stars all go blurry:

450-CAE0-F-2-D54-4296-B56-F-B2-BA5-B8318

• Upvote 1

The hyperspace sequences are cool, but it's a bit weird that you travel from system to system pretty much in real time, and it takes about 20 seconds. It's like an extreme version of how JJ Abrams portrays travelling between the stars.

I like how your dude is constantly surprised by BD-1 jumping into crates.  

Agree that it deffo feels like it’s just a little underdeveloped, so close to being AAA. Would have liked to have a choice of character maybe (seems odd that there’s no female option given the US ad for it has a young girl pretending to be a Jedi).  Not talking about full character customisation, but the story seems generic enough that you could swap a different character in easy enough. 

It is very enjoyable as is though. 

3rd story planet spoiler 

BD1 can take over Security Druids  now 

:slowclap:

Although the AI broke when the ATST got involved :lol: 

14 hours ago, Thor said:

Oooh, obvious plot twist is obvious. 

Reveal hidden contents

"Your padawan, did she survive?" 

*overtly suspicion sideways look* ... "No." 

Cere's padawan is obviously the woman you fight in the first level. 

I didn’t guess that! I assumed:

Spoiler

She gave them up when she was tortured. 

Just had my second encounter with Second Sister. Really enjoying it now. 

• Upvote 2

48 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I didn’t guess that! I assumed:

Reveal hidden contents

She gave them up when she was tortured. 

Just had my second encounter with Second Sister. Really enjoying it now. 

I don't know if I'm right, but come on, this is Star Wars ... it's like poetry, it rhymes. :lol:

Edit: Also thought of another reason... 

Spoiler

Cere closed herself off from the force. One reason for doing that could well be the link between her and her former padawan. If Cere embraces the force, her padawan will know exactly where to find her.

This is still all conjecture, but I feel it's a safe bet. 

This is pretty solid. Deflecting stormtroopers' blasts back at them feels cool. I've only done the first two planets but definitely looking forward to unlocking some more powers & moves. 

I got some real n64 Shadows Of The Empire vibes on the opening high speed train level. 

• Upvote 1

On 15/11/2019 at 09:50, K said:

The reviews seem to be saying that it’s pretty good rather than brilliant, which is slightly disappointing – the ecstatic previews made me think that this might be the one, the fabled Extremely Good Star Wars Game foretold in ancient readme.txt files found carved into the walls of overgrown jungle ruins.

Tie Fighter does still exist.

• Upvote 2

There really are some wonderful bits of scenery going on in this game.

Wrecks of spaceships never gets dull. 

Also, slipping through narrow cracks in walls...really beautifully animated.

Just played through the intro again with my son. It’s really very well done. 

Just landed on the first planet again and...

Spoiler

Just after you meet BD-1 he splices a panel for you and pulls down a bridge.  So how is it that he can’t do that any more, and everything says you need the splice link repairing? Does it get damaged at some point?

Other than that minor quibble, I’m enjoying this a lot. Needs to up the Star Wars-ness a bit though. Only on the second planet, so hopefully that will improve. 

I'm currently on the planet after Wookie world and I'm stuck

I have to use the candles to burn vines on a chain but I can't figure out how to get it past the water. Has anyone done that bit yet?

52 minutes ago, SM47 said:

I got some real n64 Shadows Of The Empire vibes on the opening high speed train level. 

Loving all these impressions, I adored SotE on N64, I know it's not the best game but it felt magic to me :)

11 minutes ago, Flub said:

I'm currently on the planet after Wookie world and I'm stuck

Hide contents

I have to use the candles to burn vines on a chain but I can't figure out how to get it past the water. Has anyone done that bit yet?

Rather than firing the ball through the waterfall, there is a way to get it around.

Further tip:

Spoiler

Use the blue beam to attract the ball to the wall

18 minutes ago, merrychan said:

Loving all these impressions, I adored SotE on N64, I know it's not the best game but it felt magic to me :)

SotE at least had a diversity of gameplay with the 3d shooting/platform levels, swoop bike stuff and space battles. Maybe not all that great in retrospect, but in 1996 felt like a playable version of the pre prequels star wars I had grown up watching on video, opening text crawl and all. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, catinthehat said:

Just landed on the first planet again and...

Hide contents

Just after you meet BD-1 he splices a panel for you and pulls down a bridge.  So how is it that he can’t do that any more, and everything says you need the splice link repairing? Does it get damaged at some point?

Yes ... 

Spoiler

BD got damaged. You may recall BD limping and Cal patching him up. You need to fix that properly, which come later on. 

I'll admit, it's not well explained in the game. 

This has turned my Xbox off twice today. Hard shut down and then I have to resync the controller. 

It's a shame because the game itself I'm starting to warm to, but... it's a shambles. I can't think of a single publisher that's had a worse generation than EA this gen. What have they done outside of Titanfall 2 and Apex that hasn't released bad, derivative or outright broken? 

As I say the game is getting a lot better though. It's a kind of Jedi Prince of Persia via Dark Souls, which wasn't what I expected but I'm more than happy to have it. Actual proper Tomb Raider Tomb puzzles, too! 

Aaawwwwww yyyyyeeeaaahhh. 

When you've unlocked more abilities for yourself and BD, you should go back to Bogano and explore a little.

• Upvote 1