rllmuk
Ivanho

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order

He's ginger. A ginger Star Wars protagonist. I'm living my 6 year old self's dreams. 

Anyway I've played up to the end of the first proper planet and am... concerned. I adore Star Wars and TItanfall 2 is one of the best shooters ever, but it all feels very loose and slightly off. It's stunning in places but characters occasionally look dodgy, a lot of stuff's cribbed from Souls without being given any context, frame rate's all over the place, it all feels a bit double A thus far. 

Hopefully I'm wrong, the characters seem really great and I like the little droid friend so fingers crossed when it all opens up it's more fun and the controls are something I'll get used to. I guess we'll see for sure in a few hours when reviews hit...

• Upvote 1

I loved the first level and the Star Wars of it, but I’ve knocked it down to story mode as the diffuculty doesn’t sit well with the style of game. 
The more I play the less I’m enamoured .

• Empathy 1

32 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

Tell me about it, it dropped to 90fps at one point. :( 

:lol:

Aye, this is pretty spectacular on PC. I noticed no HDR settings in game, so I'm assuming there is no HDR at all. Game looks fucking amazing without it anyway. The use of lighting is really well done. 

Enjoyed the first level, will leave the rest for the weekend. Sure felt good swinging that lightsaber around. :D

Just now, Thor said:

:lol:

Aye, this is pretty spectacular on PC. I noticed no HDR settings in game, so I'm assuming there is no HDR at all. Game looks fucking amazing without it anyway. The use of lighting is really well done. 

Enjoyed the first level, will leave the rest for the weekend. Sure felt good swinging that lightsaber around. :D

HDR is there in the graphics options as a toggle. You may need to let Windows know you have an HDR display connected.

Spoiler

image.thumb.png.4f8a0ec7a5dc75259680e84b90f34d06.png

• Upvote 2

Ooohh, I did do that for Gears 5, I just assumed that HDR wasnt in the game because there was no toggle for me, because Windows wasn't in HDR. Pretty daft really, consoles can switch to HDR at will, why can't PCs?

Anyway I'll replay the first level tomorrow in HDR and see how it compares. :D

4 hours ago, Jamie John said:

All these comparisons to Tomb Raider and Uncharted don't sound very Stars Souls to me, let alone Sekiro Star Wars :(

It's nothing like Souls but it is a lot like Tomb Raider and Uncharted. But with light sabres.

I've visited a third world now and the novelty is wearing off a bit to be fair. There's not a lot of depth to the combat (I'm on the middle difficulty level) and the levels are pretty linear or, at least, heavily guided. It also still doesn't feel especially star wars to me despite the presence of storm troopers, identifiable architectural styles, and the ships and so on which is mostly due to these early environments being as generic as the character. It would maybe help the atmosphere to have some John Williams music, or a least some proper nods to it just to remind me where I am.

I'll definitely end up finishing it is remains fun but, so far, it's not ground breaking. Early days yet though of course..

• Empathy 1

19 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

Lots of reviews mention the technical issues that others have noted in the thread. Think I'll wait for a patch.

Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and they note the same. Frame rate is dipping during combat in the version they’re playing on the PS4 Pro in ‘performance mode’, and lots of other bugs mentioned. Did say there is a performance patch incoming, although no confirmed date.

Brad is enthusiastic about the story though, and seems generally positive about the game :)

6 minutes ago, glb said:

Watching the Giant Bomb Quick Look and they note the same. Frame rate is dipping during combat in the version they’re playing on the PS4 Pro in ‘performance mode’, and lots of other bugs mentioned. Did say there is a performance patch incoming, although no confirmed date.

Brad is enthusiastic about the story though, and seems generally positive about the game :)

Whereas Eurogamer said the game was boring and the story never gets off the ground. 

A shame about the technical issues. I've been back and forth between getting this today or not, but given it seems to have some problems and a load of decent stuff just got added to Gamepass, I may just play something there and wait until this is patched. 

Well, all I know is that the initial first few minutes have left a genuinely good impression on me :) 

Already better than the new movies/10

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

To quote Brad during the QL (51:39 onwards below), 'The problems here just feel like they needed another six months... if this game was free of all the big, glaring technical issues I've had, I would feel very comfortable calling this one of the best Star Wars games ever made.'

Was going to buy today don't mind waiting until performance is improved.

GB's video is taken from two hours in. There are a couple of spoilers because Brad, even when he's trying to be vague, so if you want to be completely fresh going in then skip.

So the OpenCritic score is pretty good. Actually higher than Death Stranding and Pokemon at the moment, and the same as LM3.

On the other hand, I bought this largely off the back of Emma Kent's EG preview and her main issues seem to be a story (and characters) that never go anywhere and too much backtracking. We'll see how much the latter affects me but I find story very important so that's disappointing to hear. I'm already thoroughly unimpressed by Cal and Cere (and totally distracted by their weird faces), and the initial story pitch of "we're gonna re-establish the Jedi Order" clearly isn't going to go anywhere in the long term, so I don't have high hopes.

She does mention that the environmental storytelling is great, though, so that might keep me happy.

She also says it basically broke on her Xbox One and she had to move to One X.

Anyway, will hammer it over the weekend and see what I think. At least the Droid is cool (also the most likeable character so far):

IMG-4542.jpg

Couple more tutorial level (shipyard) screenshots:

Spoiler

IMG-4543.jpg

IMG-4544.jpg

IMG-4545.jpg

The second is in 4K and the last is in performance mode. There's not much in it in the screenshot but in motion it's noticeably muddier and the performance swings are much more marked so I've gone back to the default.

I don't know if it's TAA, film grain or the resolution not being that high but the whole game just looks a bit soft to me.

• Upvote 2

Played the first hour last night, up until I could meditate for the first time.  So far it’s been fun & fulfilling the Star Wars fantasy of being able to use a light sabre - block & reflect bolt, got rushed by four storm troopers, parried one which gives an instakill type move to then, swung & cut down all four at once which was pretty cool.

Hopefully it gets more Souls-y as that hype coming out of E3 was what sold it to me, but I’m going to be disappointed on that front going by the above.

Downsides:
- do not like the stylisation on characters’ faces, it’s just weird.
- don’t like the main character’s voice, too American.  Don’t like his stupid face either.
- kinda want to play the villain, she’s got a cool evil Hollywood English accent.
- they make you press a button to climb, is it not enough that I’ve jumped face first onto the climbing surface?

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, The Bag said:

Hopefully it gets more Souls-y as that hype coming out of E3 was what sold it to me, but I’m going to be disappointed on that front going by the above.

I am 6 or 7 hours in and I have no idea where the Souls comparisons are coming from. The only similarity is that the character uses a sword. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The eurogamer review says that the Xbox version has a lot of technical problems but doesn’t say what they are.

Obviously that was the version I preordered. 

I’ve no idea why there are spoiler tags in my post but I can’t delete them.

Spoiler
Spoiler

The reviews seem to be saying that it’s pretty good rather than brilliant, which is slightly disappointing – the ecstatic previews made me think that this might be the one, the fabled Extremely Good Star Wars Game foretold in ancient readme.txt files found carved into the walls of overgrown jungle ruins. I don’t think I could handle another disappointing sci-fi Soulsborne game after the Surge II, and the Eurogamer review in particular made me worry that it’s going to be another Force Unleashed II, in that it looks amazing, has fantastic core combat and a great opening, and declines into a tedious grind after the first few hours.

(The Eurogamer review is good, and it’s always funny to contrast it with the views of their core fanbase of people who read every article every day just so they can explain how wrong their opinions are in the comments. Like, the reviewer says “the first ten hours are brilliant, and feel like the best Star Wars game ever, but it goes downhill after that” and there are dudes in the comments saying “I don’t know what she’s talking about, I’ve been playing it for seven hours and it’s brilliant”, or “I haven’t played it, but”)

But the general consensus is that it’s pretty good, verging on brilliant in places. Not really bothered about technical issues, and if the core combat is solid and the general sense of exploring 1980s ILM matte paintings is present, then that’s fine by me.

1 hour ago, Nate Dogg III said:

And that you rest at bonfires that respawn all  enemies, and you leave earnings behind when you die, and that the level design is heavily based on shortcuts, and, and, and...

It's not a straight Souls game, sure. There's Uncharted and Tomb Raider and Metroid in here, and the combat's closer to Sekiro than Souls. But I dunno how you can fail to see the influence, it's everywhere.

I like this game, though it's rough as a badger's arse in places, the map's a disaster and it's in desperate need of a fast-travel system at certain points. Think it's definitely missing that final, vital bit of polish, but I'm at what I think is the final boss and I've really enjoyed it overall.

The thing that makes Souls stand head and shoulders above all other games though is it's incredible risk v reward based gameplay. That genuine fear and worry when pushing into a new area with no clue how far the next bonfire might be or what you'll have to deal with before reaching it - it's the resultant atmosphere that defines Souls for me.  That and the nuanced and ever challenging, and very flexible, combat of course. And the extraordinary world design. And the lack of any overt story exposition. Etc. None of which I am getting from this. 

This has so many save points that there is zero risk as you barrel through levels. Even if I do die, it is only one hit of the enemy that killed me to get back the XP I lost before a quick jog back. And, yeah, there are shortcuts but it really needs more as running back through levels is bit of a grind especially when in the company of such a dull avatar and through worlds that are so generic.

Playing this, all I think of is Tomb Raider and Uncharted (and, yeah a bit of Metroid) but with a sword instead of guns. Hell, one level I played could have been lifted directly from any of those games, even the environmental puzzles felt familiar. This is not necessarily criticism BTW as I used to love TR back in the day (although never got on with Uncharted) but I feel that the comparisons to Souls will set many up for disappointment as it is very, very souls lite at best.

As I say, I'm only visiting my third planet so maybe the game will open up and become something greater later on but, for now, it's pretty enough and it's certainly fun but it's already starting to feel samey. I'm also not a huge fan of SW (bar the three originals which changed my life as a kid) so those invested will certainly get more of a thrill from the world which all helps of course. For me, I feel I'll certainly be getting my £15 worth form the EA access sub price but would have been less impressed had I paid full price.

I would just add that I didn't go into this expecting a Souls type game and really don;t think such a style would work for the licence if taking to the level that would warrant genuine comparison. I had no expectations whatsoever having only really noticed this thread earlier this week and having pretty much gained all my impressions from reading this and watching the trailer. I guess I was just expecting the quality/inventiveness of Titanfall 2's campaign rather than something so identikit...

57 minutes ago, K said:

if the core combat is solid and the general sense of exploring 1980s ILM matte paintings is present, then that’s fine by me.

You will like it.

• Upvote 3