Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just got my shiny Zeraora, didn't realize I couldn't catch it due to it being an event. Anyway, is this correct? To claim the free ore, I need the mobile app? The long code shows up there, and I entered it directly into Shield, but there's no other way to see you have it or claim it?

Kinda weird. It obviously promotes use of the mobile app, but that's crap for kids who may be limited to just the Switch. I couldn't see any mention of the gift in Home on the Switch. 

Well, just FYI, don't put your kids' real age into the Home mobile app if you want to trade with them, I made that mistake and now have to change his Nintendo account to a new one on his Switch profile and get that added to the Online family group. Heaven forbid they let parents decide what kids can and can't do. 

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

Well, just FYI, don't put your kids' real age into the Home mobile app if you want to trade with them, I made that mistake and now have to change his Nintendo account to a new one on his Switch profile and get that added to the Online family group. Heaven forbid they let parents decide what kids can and can't do. 

Or you could clear the cache on your phone and redo the Home account.

My kid did the same thing.

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

It’s funny because the same happened in pokemon Go. Kids accounts (under 13 on creation) couldn’t trade when the feature was added. They eventually fixed it (many many months later) but not before many kids basically had to start again with an adult account to play the full game.

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Have any of you got an Arduino for breeding, Watt Farming, etc? Takes the tedium out of it all.

Not sure what you're asking for, here? Audino, maybe? They're not in this game. 

Oh, those things! I saw a Twitch account using a "Switch Up" controller while they weren't actually there, but no idea how easy it would be to get one or use one. Assume is some random Twitch streamer can do it, any of us could!

A friend of mine sent me a SwitchUp as he was sent two by mistake and I have not got a clue how to work it. All of the tutorials are on YouTube and make little or no sense.. For the Arduino,  long as you know how to upload .hex files to it, it's apparently an absolute doddle. They're only something like £8-9.

Isnt that supposed to be part of the fun? Why automate a process like Egg Hatching for eggxample (haha) when that Shiny drops after your 500th egg, wouldn't you want to be there when it appears rather than checking your Pokémon boxes the next morning to see if you got lucky?

On 30/06/2020 at 18:12, Ballzzie said:

Or you could clear the cache on your phone and redo the Home account.

My kid did the same thing.

On 30/06/2020 at 18:18, thesnwmn said:

It’s funny because the same happened in pokemon Go. Kids accounts (under 13 on creation) couldn’t trade when the feature was added. They eventually fixed it (many many months later) but not before many kids basically had to start again with an adult account to play the full game.

Clearing the cache on the Pokemon Home mobile app didn't work, incidentally. As I'd already linked his child Nintendo Account to Home, having entered a <13 age into Home, he's stuck unable to trade (until he hits a certain age, presumably). However, I just linked my daughter's Home to her child Nintendo Account by bullshitting the birthday on the Home app first (even though the Nintendo account has her actual age, I dunno) and that worked. So anyway, making a new child Nintendo account for my son and will unlink/link his Switch profile and then setup Home.

This is entire thing is such a clusterfuck for parents. Why in god's name didn't all the account management go through Pokemon Trainer Account or something, which already has parent/child config. 

edit

Once a Nintendo Account is linked to a user account, this link cannot be undone. The associated user account must also be deleted to unlink a Nintendo Account from a Nintendo Switch console.

Deleting a user account from a Nintendo Switch console will also delete any save data that is associated with that account and saved to the console.

FFS.

I'm still slowly grinding towards the Galar living dex, currently at 341/400 and ignoring the DLC for now. I have started to use the GTS for some Pokemon that are not new in Shield because when Bulbapedia says a Pokemon is a 2% random encounter chance during one type of weather in an area where I am going to have 100s of Zigzagoons chasing me I am not wasting my time with that.  I've also ended up with lots of EXP candies due to Mystery Gifts which as I only play to complete the Dex reduced the grind for Pokemon that only evolve at a high level. 

I still don't really like the games, they are the weakest since X/Y but at least with X/Y the music was good. 

Anyone know what the deal is with this virus thing called Pokerus?https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokérus

One of my kid’s Pokemon had it today and was very worried/upset. Is it an actual part of the game? It’s not a hack, is it? He’s always going on about trading with dodgy online bot accounts, etc. Doesn’t strike me as the kind of thing that normally happens on Nintendo’s watch.  

5 minutes ago, Twinbee said:

Anyone know what the deal is with this virus thing called Pokerus?https://m.bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pokérus

One of my kid’s Pokemon had it today and was very worried/upset. Is it an actual part of the game? It’s not a hack, is it? He’s always going on about trading with dodgy online bot accounts, etc. Doesn’t strike me as the kind of thing that normally happens on Nintendo’s watch.  

Did you bother to read the page you linked?

Yes, but I couldn’t make head nor tail of it. Apart from Pokemon Go and having to play the card game with my son sometimes, it’s a different world to me. 

The Pokérus (Japanese: ポケルス Pokérus), from "Pokémon virus", is a microscopic life-form that may attach to Pokémon, first appearing in the Generation II games. It is a beneficial mechanic that a Pokémon can obtain.

It is good. But if you don’t know what EVs (Effort Values) are then it’s not likely to make much sense. I’m sure there are lots of good guides to EVs around (I’ve never bothered to get into them myself).

23 hours ago, Twinbee said:

It positively affects a Pokemon's levelling. Bizarrely for this current climate it is definitely a positive.

If your kid got a Pokerus 'mon in a trade it is likely hacked. Hackers often imbue their 'mon with it because of its positives, and it is incredibly rare in normal gameplay.

Pokerus spreads by a Pokemon with the virus being in your team and travelling and battling. It stops spreading if you box the Pokemon.

Any Pokemon will eventually heal from its Pokerus and also then stop being 'contagious'.

• 3 weeks later...

The Pokémon in question is the Grass- and Poison-type Amoonguss, which would usually have red and white colouring, rather than the blue you see above. To get your hands on it, you simply have to press the 'X' button in Pokémon Sword and Shield to access your menu, select 'Mystery Gift', and then choose to receive a gift via code.

Now enter the following code: TRA1NERSCUP

The Pokémon you'll receive is actually based upon the Amoonguss used by Baik Jongyoon, World Champion Senior Top 4 player at the 2019 World Championships. It's at Level 50, knows Clear Smog, Spore, Protect and Rage Powder, and has very strong overall IVs (thanks, Serebii).

Despite being a Korean giveaway, the code can be used worldwide. It's only valid until 14:59 UTC on 10th August, however, so make sure to get on this while you still can.

On 20/07/2020 at 21:23, tnman said:

It positively affects a Pokemon's levelling. Bizarrely for this current climate it is definitely a positive.

If your kid got a Pokerus 'mon in a trade it is likely hacked. Hackers often imbue their 'mon with it because of its positives, and it is incredibly rare in normal gameplay.

Pokerus spreads by a Pokemon with the virus being in your team and travelling and battling. It stops spreading if you box the Pokemon.

Any Pokemon will eventually heal from its Pokerus and also then stop being 'contagious'.

Not necessarily hacked. Once you get one, it's easy to infect more as you want to. Just get a team of spares, infect them, and put them in a box where they stay infected forever. I have managed to transfer Pokerus Mon through several generations, and even randomly traded some out along the way. I have a couple in one of my boxes right now, in fact.

I haven't had it in Sword/Shield but the old games displayed PKRS in purple text on the Summary screen when a Pokemon has it. Once the Pokemon recovers from Pokerus there will be a permanent purple star on the summary page to show they've had it and they cannot get it again. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...