Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yeah once you get past the disappiontment of the shabby frills and lack of improvements, it's still quite compelling just filling up your pokedex. I've refrained from just copying all my old ones over (got to pay for a Bank pass and a Home pass to get a them from Pokemon Sun, properly grasping stuff from Nintendo just to have the "privilege" of keeping your monsters in storage) so I'm going for a living Dex again.

Haven't even started the "story". I'll likely easily stick another dozen or so hours in so it'll be worth the tenner. 

It's good for TV gaming, given the footy is back too. 

There are signs from the new Wild Area that they might eventually be able to fulfill on some of its promise. Sun and Moon were comfortably better than the disappointing X/Y so I'm sort of resigned to this gen being quite flawed (though I did enjoy the base game a lot, with 125 hours in it), but the next one should/needs to be a step up. Let's face it, the core Pokémon gameplay and addictive collecting gets it a lot of leeway, so it's about time they improved the trimmings.  

Pokemon help please, gang. I don’t play it, but my son is obsessed. 

He wants to connect Pokemon Home to his other games (he has Sword on the Switch, and has just picked up Ultra Sun for his DS). 

On Pokemon Home, it said to enter his Nintendo Account details. He doesn’t have one (he’s 12), but I’m guessing this is the same account I used to set up my Switch, and use the Eshop etc?

Anyway, a scary warning comes up to say that if you connect the wrong Nintendo account, you’ll never be able to do lots of things, all of which my son will want to do.

Do I have to set him up with his own Nintendo account? He’s 12. 

Apparently I have 3 days to sort this out as there’s some time-limited opportunity to catch a shiny version of something or other so I need to sort this now. 

If anyone can share any light I’d be very grateful!

9 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Pokemon help please, gang. I don’t play it, but my son is obsessed. 

He wants to connect Pokemon Home to his other games (he has Sword on the Switch, and has just picked up Ultra Sun for his DS). 

On Pokemon Home, it said to enter his Nintendo Account details. He doesn’t have one (he’s 12), but I’m guessing this is the same account I used to set up my Switch, and use the Eshop etc?

Anyway, a scary warning comes up to say that if you connect the wrong Nintendo account, you’ll never be able to do lots of things, all of which my son will want to do.

Do I have to set him up with his own Nintendo account? He’s 12. 

Apparently I have 3 days to sort this out as there’s some time-limited opportunity to catch a shiny version of something or other so I need to sort this now. 

If anyone can share any light I’d be very grateful!

You need to set up a kids Nintendo account as a sub account off your own or he won’t be able to play online. You then add that to his profile

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Nintendo-Account/About-Nintendo-Accounts/What-is-a-child-account-/How-can-I-create-a-child-account-/How-can-I-create-a-child-account--1177534.html

I'm thinking of picking up the Shield one also, even though I've mostly been raiding since I got the the Isle of Armour. Mind you, I may want until the second part of the DLC and the Legendary raids & DMax Adventure modes.

At last!!!!

30+ hours of endless circles at Bridge Field. Over 500 Eggs hatched (with three 6x Best IV I must add) she finally decided to appear!

Goldeneye!!!

Goldeneye.jpg

Now I can move onto the DLC.

47 minutes ago, Peb Kacharach said:

Looks like the base game is £43 now.

I'll keep an eye out, need to finish TLOU2 first anyway.

It's still showing up as £35 for me on Shopto? I dunno if that's because I live outside the UK and it's doing some jiggery-pokery, but it's displayed in pounds too. 

If it's anything like the last few Pokémon games, it won't ever get *that* cheap unfortunately. They hold their value. The Let's Go games are the same price on ShopTo and a year older. Ultra Sun/Moon seems to hover around £30 as well. 

Like a complete plum, I've only just realized after all this time that you can go online and invite others into your max raid, or join others. I've been stuck for months on a 5 star gigantimax Snorlax raid when it finally occurred I should go online. That's pretty much all I've been doing since, loads of fun (even if the lobby system is buggy as shite). About 3 5* raids got enough candy to fully evolve the other two starter Pokémon, which I got as a gift from Home. 

Anyway, once you've finished the story line, are raids supposed to reset every 24 hours? Or per they never did and I just didn't notice? I have to finish all of them to get them to reset now. 

They will be a lot quieter now as the Gigantamax events over. Hope you all managed to fight a Zeraora? If you did and you use Home, make sure you have moved a Pokémon into storage and you'll get a Shiny Zeraora later.

The Gigantamax event being over is good news. The Zeraora event being over is better news! One day, they will be able to show me only badges for raids that I can actually get into on my feed, and that will finally be the best news.

Guys, anyone got a high IV (pref 4 x Best) foreign language Abra or its Evo's that I could borrow/trade for pls? Want to start my next Shiny Mon hunt.

18 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

They will be a lot quieter now as the Gigantamax events over. Hope you all managed to fight a Zeraora? If you did and you use Home, make sure you have moved a Pokémon into storage and you'll get a Shiny Zeraora later.

It says I couldn't catch it, but I never managed to beat it anyway. 

4 hours ago, TehStu said:

It says I couldn't catch it, but I never managed to beat it anyway. 

Thats ok it seems, I think all you need to do it move some Pokemon into/out of Home app via the Switch before July 6th and I think you will get him via the Phone app, just make sure thats linked to your account.

Screenshot_20200630_080035_jp.pokemon.pokemonhome.jpg

Screenshot_20200630_080343.jpg

On 28/06/2020 at 15:18, TehStu said:

Anyway, once you've finished the story line, are raids supposed to reset every 24 hours? Or per they never did and I just didn't notice? I have to finish all of them to get them to reset now. 

I think they might reset every 12 hours.. or at least more often than every 24. I've never actually been able to figure out the exact pattern. But yes, at least once a day. And yeah if you complete all of them you get a whole bunch of new ones. With the Y-Comm; if you start a surprise trade or just start searching for league cards then the stamps refresh a bit more often (it used to be a lot more but they appear to have patched it annoyingly). Mitigates how awful the Y-Comm is a little bit.

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

The new promo dens are awful and they're here for a whole month. Why?

https://serebii.net/swordshield/maxraidbattles/eventden-july2020.shtml

Edit: If you took part in battles you received some free Armour Pieces in addition to Zera.

One of the things I've been looking forward to is the event ending so the promo raids stop getting in the way of all the new pokemon/HAs. Oh well.

Seems like they're sort of heading down the Pokemon Go route with it. A specific set of raid bosses for events (weekly/monthly etc). A way to spread the content further I guess.

3 hours ago, John0 said:

think they might reset every 12 hours.. or at least more often than every 24. I've never actually been able to figure out the exact pattern. But yes, at least once a day. And yeah if you complete all of them you get a whole bunch of new ones.

That didn't happen. I mean, it did, but then months back I started really powering through them and got stuck on one final, 5 star gigantimax snorlax. Fast forward the DLC, and that one raid is still there. It was only when I went online I managed to beat it (though, weirdly, it changed to a different Pokémon) and have them reset. 

Anyway, didn't realize this deal was on, I transferred a Tyranitar to Home for my lad to receive in Sword. That was enough to get this Zeraora. 

Not hugely impressed with those raids, I think I'd just prefer random if I'm honest. Mostly, though, I just don't want to see stamps for raids that then tell me "No communication partner was found", because that is just downright ridiculous. 

I completed the IoA Dex, and now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding for watts to get "something beautiful" in the dojo? Maybe I'll battle enough Sharpedos to commit genocide on the species. I already can't see where the rest of the Digletts can possibly be hiding, but there are, quite astonishingly, still more than 50 of the little buggers out there!

Shiny-wise, I think Lycanroc will be my next aim. It's beautiful! I got a wild shiny Skwovet, which ... okay, it's a shiny, but IT'S A DAMN USELESS SQUIRREL. Other than that, it's a long wait for the Crown Tundra.

12 minutes ago, TehStu said:

That didn't happen. I mean, it did, but then months back I started really powering through them and got stuck on one final, 5 star gigantimax snorlax. Fast forward the DLC, and that one raid is still there. It was only when I went online I managed to beat it (though, weirdly, it changed to a different Pokémon) and have them reset.

Strange, they definitely reset for me at least once a day. If I used a wishing piece the beam stays there but the pokemon changes every day. Have you finished the game? If so I've no idea why it would be different :/

13 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I completed the IoA Dex, and now I'm not sure what to do. Grinding for watts to get "something beautiful" in the dojo? Maybe I'll battle enough Sharpedos to commit genocide on the species. I already can't see where the rest of the Digletts can possibly be hiding, but there are, quite astonishingly, still more than 50 of the little buggers out there!

I'm down to 1 single Diglett without using a guide. My only advice is try coming off the bike - that seemed to help me a bit. Also some of my last ones were just in the middle of a big plain area because I was so fixated on looking around areas of flowers/grass/whatever. I'm so far gone now I'd rather not cave and look it up, but I don't know how many more times I can methodically scour every corner of the Soothing Wetlands to no avail.

3 minutes ago, John0 said:

Strange, they definitely reset for me at least once a day. If I used a wishing piece the beam stays there but the pokemon changes every day. Have you finished the game? If so I've no idea why it would be different :/

Well, it may have resolved itself, I don't get on the Switch long enough these days to be sure :D I'll clear the top of the wilds and leave the bottom, and then see if they reset. I did just finish the game, completely forgot that I didn't catch Zamazenta! 

Got my shiny Zeraora today. Still plugging away on trying to encounter chain a shiny Axew. Up to 457 encounters now and no luck so far!

Might try and breed for one instead :)

I started playing the other day, not touched a Pokemon game since the GBA! I'm currently at a seaside port and won a water badge. I'm on Sword and started with a Scorby who is around level 28. Most of the battles have been very easy so far and seeing all of my pokemon gain experience at once is what's making it easy I think. Sure you used to have to build them individually. I'm enjoying the battles so far but hardly used that Dynamax thing but maybe that will change as it goes on. It's keeping me hooked for the moment but I do wish it was a bit more challenging. Still not been near the wilds as I've been getting close to my level control limits far too quickly just walking down the main path so I'll go back to them another time.

5 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Seems like they're sort of heading down the Pokemon Go route with it. A specific set of raid bosses for events (weekly/monthly etc). A way to spread the content further I guess.

Sadly yes you're probably right. It's odd though because for each month since release they haven't allowed pokemon in ranked that weren't easily obtainable in the game. So you'd get your several week long event featuring whatever group of Dynamax pokemon, and then after that they'd be introduced into the pool of allowed pokemon in ranked. But now all of a sudden we're one day away from Terrakion, Virizion and Cobalion being allowed despite them having nothing to do with the game at all up to this point. Not to mention all the extra Dynamax pokemon (though we do have max mushrooms now). It just seems like a bizarre change of pace/plan.