Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Let's Go is definitely designed to be a my-first-Pokémon introduction to the series, but Sword and Shield is a proper main series game that is more in keeping with the rest of the series and the games that will follow it. Sword and Shield is also the easiest main series game so far, so it's a pretty good beginner Pokémon game in itself. Also the other Pokémon kids at school will most likely be getting Sword and Shield, so I'd probably lean towards that. Ah to be a young lad embarking on my first Pokémon adventure again.

Some kind soul sent me a Spanish Ditto last night, so that'll make breeding slightly more exciting! I have no idea what them being shiny does though, is it just a cosmetic change?

Now that I've completed the main story, I've started to go out of my way to collect some of the Shield exclusives. I think I have the below so far if anyone needs owt:

• Tyranitar (Not caught a Larvitar yet)
  • Lotad
  • Vullaby
  • Spritzee
  • Croagunk
  • Throh
  • Lunatone
  • Galarian Ponyta

I also have Sobble and Scorbunny starters if anyone needs those.

My friend code is: SW-1144-3846-2805

Yeah shinies are just a cosmetic change. Some of them are pretty cool looking but it's also nice to have them because they're so rare.

It's great that people are shipping out Dittos all over the world for humping purposes. Promiscuous little sex tourist jelly men they are.

20 minutes ago, JLM said:

Let's Go is definitely designed to be a my-first-Pokémon introduction to the series, but Sword and Shield is a proper main series game that is more in keeping with the rest of the series and the games that will follow it. Sword and Shield is also the easiest main series game so far, so it's a pretty good beginner Pokémon game in itself. Also the other Pokémon kids at school will most likely be getting Sword and Shield, so I'd probably lean towards that. Ah to be a young lad embarking on my first Pokémon adventure again.

Yep - I'm on exactly that train of thought - especially the other kids getting Sword/Shield - so that's sorted it thanks.

So It doesn't really matter Sword or Shield in his position right?

44 minutes ago, JLM said:

Either version is fine yeah, unless you can get some intel from other parents about which version any of his pals might be getting, in which case go for the opposite one for trading purposes. :) 

Magic thanks a lot.

It's also 10 quid off at CD keys..

Oh, and for anyone who doesn't know why you'd want one...

Breeding a Pokémon from different regions (i.e. foreign ditto and local other pokemon) with the shiny charm (from complete dex) makes shiny odds 1/512. Which is as low as they can be I believe.

So I'm in the battle tower vs Leon II and he leads Aegislash, so I swap into Dreadnaw and hit him with Crunch and.... nothing. Like 1/6 of his health bar. Aegislash's Def is 150 in the defensive stance, and Dnaws Att is 115. Am I missing something here? Is 150 Def just that good? How do I beat this thing if it goes into Defensive stance and starts Sword Dancing?

11 minutes ago, John0 said:

So I'm in the battle tower vs Leon II and he leads Aegislash, so I swap into Dreadnaw and hit him with Crunch and.... nothing. Like 1/6 of his health bar. Aegislash's Def is 150 in the defensive stance, and Dnaws Att is 115. Am I missing something here? Is 150 Def just that good? How do I beat this thing if it goes into Defensive stance and starts Sword Dancing?

It has two forms it switches between. I'm shield form it takes much less damage. Most damage can be done when it's in sword form

140 is Aegislash's Base Defense stat in that form, which is very high. (It used to be 150, they nerfed it a bit in Sword and Shield because Aegislash was considered to be extremely powerful in competitive battling in the previous gens).

For context, 140 base defense is among the top 30 highest out of all 900 or so Pokemon.

Base stats determine how much potential each stat has for a particular Pokemon species. They can range from 0-255 for each stat and they determine how high a final figure the Pokemon species can potentially reach in that stat. The actual figure the stat lands on for an individual Pokemon can then be affected by their nature, individual values and effort values.

For example, Rampardos has a Base attack stat of 165.

If everything else on an individual  Rampardos is perfect (nature that boosts attack, maximum EVs in attack, maximum attacks IVs), its total attack stat at level 100 can be a mighty  471.

If everything is the worst case scenario (nature that hinders attack, no EVs in attack, lowest attack IVs), its attack stat at level 100 will still be a very respectable 301.

The high base stat means that Rampardos as a species is always going to have a solid attack stat.

So an Aegislash in shield form with 140 base defense could have a defense stat at level 50 of anywhere from: 130-211, and at level 100 it could be anywhere from 250-416.

Before the nerf it was 139-222 at level 50 and 274-438 at level 100.

As for counters to it, well that has been one of the biggest questions facing competitive battlers in X and Y and why Aegislash is considered "Uber" tier. The ideal solution to a Pokemon this good at stalling and setting up to become unstoppable is Toxic, but its steel typing gives it immunity to that.

One of the best things you can do is burn it with Will O' Wisp or another move with a secondary chance to burn like Scald. A burnt Pokemon does 50% less damage with physical attacks, plus the burn will gradually whittle down its health regardless of its big defense stats. Leech Seed is also really handy as again this can gradually chip away at its health whilst restoring your own.

If you're trying to take it out with raw damage then ideally you'll want some super effective special attacks as opposed to physical ones as if you use a move that makes contact and it uses King's Shield you'll get your attack stat dropped. You can also use super effective physical moves that don't make contact, such as Earthquake.

But yeah, it is a pain in the arse to deal with in general and is pretty notorious for being such.

Ace thank you (@JLM). Yeah main problem was after 3-4 turns dealing with it having Sword Danced twice and probably debuffing my attack at least once, and then having to either push through it with a Dynamax or swap something into a 140 attack 4 stage buffed unstoppable monster :P. Just couldn't believe SE damage was doing so little, and couldn't really think of another way to deal with it.

I guess Fire Special Attacks might be the way to go. I'll have a look what I've got tomorrow, maybe Coalasall? He's ok vs Charizard too.

People who are multi-hatching in search of Shiny mon, I’m just curious as to how you do it to make best use of your time?

I’m using a 5iv Jap Ditto, do you just wander round until you’re full of eggs, run up and down until all 5 are hatched then swap out and start again or are you constantly picking up a new egg as one hatches?

6 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

When do you unlock the IV checker?

Post-game. You need to reach tier 4 in Battle Tower.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

People who are multi-hatching in search of Shiny mon, I’m just curious as to how you do it to make best use of your time?

Not shiny-hunting yet, but I always do eggs the same way. Flame Body Mon in slot 1, cycle back and forth ensuring I pass the lady so I know if there's an egg to collect. It's now possible to box from anywhere, so that's what I do as soon as it hatches, and do that until I have something at least close to what I was aiming for.