Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, Kryptonian said:

I’m thinking of getting a Switch Lite so I can play with him (and my other son at Christmas if Santa comes through) on this. Not sure if it’s a stupid idea yet though.

It's a bloody great idea.

Edit: If anyone wants a Scorbunny, I received one in a mystery trade. Need Grookey and Sobble, or any of the Shield exclusives, but just happy to pass it on regardless.

45 minutes ago, shirubagan said:

It's a bloody great idea.

Edit: If anyone wants a Scorbunny, I received one in a mystery trade. Need Grookey and Sobble, or any of the Shield exclusives, but just happy to pass it on regardless.

I can trade a Sobble for a Sword exclusive if you have one mate? Plus some other Shield exclusives.

Turtonator or a Male Farfetched would be handy.

I can do any of the starters if needed, most Sword Exclusives and most of the Shield ones. Got Galarian Farfetch’ds with good natures. I’ll  take anything in return really, ideally stuff to fill in odd gaps in my Pokedex to save me time catching them. 

6 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

Same for my Onix. Once I find a

Hide contents

Steel Jacket

that is.

I'm happy to trade though mate.

Cheers. Another kind soul helped with my Machamp.

Happy to help you or any others. Just PM my your number and we can arrange via WhatsApp. 

Does anyone else buy the guide / Pokedex for the games? I've been collecting them since Heart Gold / Soul Silver and never use for the game because Serebii and Bulbapedia are much more useful but they are as close to an artbook the Pokemon games ever get.

2 hours ago, Ballzzie said:

I can trade a Sobble for a Sword exclusive if you have one mate? Plus some other Shield exclusives.

Turtonator or a Male Farfetched would be handy.

Got a Larvitar spare? I think I have a male Farfetch’d spare, if not I’ll catch/breed you one. 

1 hour ago, JLM said:

I can do any of the starters if needed, most Sword Exclusives and most of the Shield ones. Got Galarian Farfetch’ds with good natures. I’ll  take anything in return really, ideally stuff to fill in odd gaps in my Pokedex to save me time catching them. 

What are you after?

2 hours ago, shirubagan said:

Got a Larvitar spare? I think I have a male Farfetch’d spare, if not I’ll catch/breed you one. 

Yeah I do, from a surprise trade if you don't mind a third hand one? :)

Caught an Oranguru last night if anyone wants?

I got a surprise Japanese ditto in a trade. 

Should I be breeding him with other pokemon in the hope of developing a shiny? Or should I be breeding with him with other pokemon in the hope of getting a higher IV / better stats pokemon?

If I read correctly shinys are just visually different and do not have any different stats? 

I'm interested in Pokemon but I've never really played one other than Let's Go Evee! which apparently isn't a "proper" entry in the series and I didn't really get into. I've been meaning to give it another go recently as the hype machine has kicked in but can someone explain what about it was cut-down/missing/wrong compared to Sword and Shield? I'm not sure if I just don't care about Pokemon or if that release was just a bad place to start.

17 minutes ago, Yasawas said:

I'm interested in Pokemon but I've never really played one other than Let's Go Evee! which apparently isn't a "proper" entry in the series and I didn't really get into. I've been meaning to give it another go recently as the hype machine has kicked in but can someone explain what about it was cut-down/missing/wrong compared to Sword and Shield? I'm not sure if I just don't care about Pokemon or if that release was just a bad place to start.

Let's Go was about half a Pokémon game, in the full games even your battles against wild Pokémon are properly turn-based affairs, instead of just those against trainers and in gyms. This can make levelling up more of a grind, as you have to be much more careful when making your way through an area than in Let's Go, where it was easy to avoid wild encounters.

This one still has Pokémon visible in the overworld, but you don't just throw balls at them. You have to battle them properly, and wear them down before catching them. Although, to be honest, if you didn't get along with the way you fought the Snorlax and the Legendaries, you'll not like this, either.

The main thing people don't seem to get about Pokémon is that it's meant to be 2-player. The entire game is a training ground in which you create a team to battle others with. It's merely passable as a singleplayer RPG, but shines brightest when you interact with another human.

OK it's clicking now.

I finished the main game and completed the post game quest, capturing a legendary. I also found a giga-max charizard junior (can't remember the first form name :lol: )

I am now mostly doing max raid battles to level up my dudes before taking on the battle tower. After that i'll be able to see the stats of my pokemon and then it's all about the breeding and crafting out a balanced team and moves set.

Gigamax-mon can only be found by purple raid battles, correct?

I'm largely ignoring shinys because that looks like a time sink.

What else should I be doing post game?

I’m about there with the game now, got over 20 Mon to level 100, tons of Gigantamax, no shiny as yet,

if anyone needs anything specific I’m now in a position to help out :)

I’m now breeding off a 5iv Ditto so a good load of mine are battle ready

Also,

it would be so easy to add DLC to this, add another 100 Pokemon and another Wild area - £20, add an extra bit of story and a couple of new legendaries £20. Easy money,

Not generally the Pokemon way though, I expect Pokemon Sword Slash and Pokemon Shield Bash to be released at some point at full price 

So, buoyed by the oval charm, a flame body Coalossal, the speed of breeding in this game and a Japanese Sobble from link trade, I decided to try and shiny hatch for the first time. It has taken hours and literally hundreds of eggs, but I finally gone and did it. :D  

I might try it again once I get the shiny charm but for now I don’t want to see another egg hatching cut scene for quite some time. 

67A702F2-0CDB-431C-B54D-D7D36F935B52.jpeg

Rather niche question, but just in case anyone can shed any light...

Serebii (and other sites) lists Flapple as having either the Ripen, Hustle or Gluttony. I decided I wanted a cool G-Max Flapple with Ripen so did the stupid raid tricks to get one, but it had Hustle. So I bought one of those ability changer items, but when I try to use it on Flapple, it says it won't have any effect.

Any ideas? :unsure:

Hustle is its hidden ability, so the ability capsule can't change it unfortunately.

They can have Ripen/Gluttony and you can switch between those two, but if it has Hustle it's locked to Hustle as the hidden ability doesn't have a secondary to change to.

Anyone know about breeding egg moves onto pokemon? I cant find a proper guide on how to do so...

Trying to breed bullet punch onto my machamp but I'm really struggling. If anyone can give me some tips or even link me to a guide it would be greatly appreciated.

May also be a 4-5IV Adamant machop coming your way :)

On another note, if people are interested in battling we could do a mini tournament on here. I'm sure @donpeartree hosted one before a few pokemon generations ago.

Would appreciate some feedback on how many people would like to participate.

Cheers for the reply @JLM.. appears Hustle is a bit rare then? Guess I should be pleased :)

Been trying to figure out the whole Gigantamax vs Dynamax thing.. it seems like the only difference (apart from appearance) between them is access to special moves? Is that right? So for example, the only effective difference between G-Max Charizard and regular Charizard is G-Max Wildfire?

Also @Chu Chu Chris I'd probably be up for a tournament. Only ever taken a very passable interest in competitive Pokemon though (outside of GO) and I had a little read around yesterday and man does it seem like there's a lot to learn!

I'd be up for a tournament. I'm about 50% of the way to being a competitive nerd, mostly theorymonning and then getting too fed up and moving on before finishing my plans and thus having halfway perfect mons for the ideas I had!

11 hours ago, Chu Chu Chris said:

Anyone know about breeding egg moves onto pokemon? I cant find a proper guide on how to do so..

Egg moves are passed down from the male of the species. Therefore, you will need a female Machop, and a male Hitmonchan that learned Bullet Punch along the way. The baby will have Bullet Punch. But it may not have the nature and IVs you want, so you then may need to keep going and refining until you have the beast you're after.

To get Hitmonchan, you'll need a Tyrogue that has more DEF than ATK when it hits level 20. Tyrogues spawn in the Wild Area, easiest place to find is fly to the Meetup spot, head into the Wild, and turn right. I think it needs to be good weather for them.

2 hours ago, Loki said:

Does anyone know if there is a way to get an Eeveelution to respawn near the Lake of Outrage if you fail at catching it?

I crit and managed to make the Glaceon faint this morning :(

I have a Glaceon someone sent in a surprise trade I think. I think it has a japanese name but you can have it if you want?

14 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I have a Glaceon someone sent in a surprise trade I think. I think it has a japanese name but you can have it if you want?

Thanks for the offer man, it's okay though.

I was more curious to see if there was a way to spawn more than just one a day (which is seemingly the case from what I can tell). Usually walking away from the spawn area so it's out of camera view and going back works, but that doesn't seem to happen with the variety of Eeveelutions in that spot.

2 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I'd be up for a tournament. I'm about 50% of the way to being a competitive nerd, mostly theorymonning and then getting too fed up and moving on before finishing my plans and thus having halfway perfect mons for the ideas I had!

Egg moves are passed down from the male of the species. Therefore, you will need a female Machop, and a male Hitmonchan that learned Bullet Punch along the way. The baby will have Bullet Punch. But it may not have the nature and IVs you want, so you then may need to keep going and refining until you have the beast you're after.

To get Hitmonchan, you'll need a Tyrogue that has more DEF than ATK when it hits level 20. Tyrogues spawn in the Wild Area, easiest place to find is fly to the Meetup spot, head into the Wild, and turn right. I think it needs to be good weather for them.

Thanks for the tips.

Amazing, so basically you have to catch a male with the move you want, breeding with a female of the pokemon you actually need. Seems long winded to me but oh well. Here we go, thanks! I dont really find IV breeding a big chore in this gen. I've had some really lucky rolls, I caught a 3IV wooloo and it took me 4 eggs to get a 5IV.

We could set a date for the tournament to give a bit of time for people to be battle ready?