rllmuk
Pixelbark

Pokemon Sword & Shield - Nintendo Switch

Pick a team!  

143 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Flub said:

Surprise trades are fun. Playing sword and started with Sobble. Already got a monkey and a rainbow horsey

Nice! I try and send good stuff now I’m three badges in. 

Finally completed my team tonight - Dreepy is an utter nightmare to catch (specific place, weather, low random appear rate and low catch rate) but it was worth it.

To celebrate I spent an hour breeding it and surprise trading the kids out to anyone in my vicinity. I like to think that my Dreepy is now the mother of about twenty future Galarian champion Dragapults across different dimensions. 

10 hours ago, deKay said:

What seafood do they eat in the seafood restaurant, seeing as there are no fish or shellfish in Pokémon land?

There are so many fish and shellfish! The flavour text for Barraskewda even confirms that people eat them:

This Pokémon has a jaw that's as sharp as a spear and as strong as steel. Apparently Barraskewda's flesh is surprisingly tasty, too.

But in Pokemon lore Pokemon aren't eaten! This is barbaric.

(Edit: that doesn't confirm they eat them anyway, just they have been eaten by someone or some thing at some point)

There’s a restaurant in X and Y that serves Slowpoke tail. Their customers are humans. Sorry to break it to you man. 

2 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

Are any of our Japanese residents playing this? I’m after a Japanese ditto for breeding.

Is it the language of your game/Switch that sets the region? 

I have my game in English and my Switch in English, but both are Japanese. Dunno if that counts. 

I haven't caught a Ditto yet, but if so I'll nab some spares when I do. 

2 minutes ago, JLM said:

There’s a restaurant in X and Y that serves Slowpoke tail. Their customers are humans. Sorry to break it to you man. 

This is disgusting.

PETA were right all along.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Parksey said:

Is it the language of your game/Switch that sets the region? 

I have my game in English and my Switch in English, but both are Japanese. Dunno if that counts. 

I haven't caught a Ditto yet, but if so I'll nab some spares when I do. 

Not sure. We could try a random trade to see if your pokemon shows up as JPN for me

I know it's probably a case of 'get good' but good lord the Battle Tower is kicking my arse up and down! I think the game is telling me to avoid competitive altogether :lol:

I guess you just have to get three generally solid 'mons with as much coverage as possible? There's no way to plan ahead as the trainers are random as far as I can tell.

I've a bunch of newborn Scorbunny if anybody wants to trade for the other starters! How do we even go about that, share the Trade link number thing then both play at the same time?

18 minutes ago, Fneeb said:

I know it's probably a case of 'get good' but good lord the Battle Tower is kicking my arse up and down! I think the game is telling me to avoid competitive altogether :lol:

I guess you just have to get three generally solid 'mons with as much coverage as possible? There's no way to plan ahead as the trainers are random as far as I can tell.

While you're getting your own team ready, there's always the rental mons!

Fair few hours into this now. It's very much love/hate for me...

Love

• The pokemon models all look great to me. And some of the designs are cool and in general just seeing pokemon running around in the wild and in the grass is delightful. Just the whole pokemonness of it is wonderful.
  • The Britishisms are really fun
  • The Wild area does give you a nice sense of exploration - it's not exactly Pokemon Breath Of The Wild but it's a step in the right direction
  • Having the gym leader battles in the stadium and getting a kit with your number on it (damn I wish I could change my number though) gives a really cool sense of a big occasion and being part of a vaguely believable competitive pokemon league (or something like it)

Hate

• It's ridiculously easy
  • The grunts have lower pokemon than the wild pokemon in the environment you encounter them in. Like, dude there's a pokemon 4 levels higher than the one you're fighting with right next to you - just catch it and fight me with it
  • No one, including the gym leaders, having 6 pokemon - whyyyyy? Why would you only have 2 pokemon as a freaking leader of a gym.
  • The random nature of the moves chosen against you, even by NPC opponents. Also they don't switch out or take type effectiveness into account at all. As much as I love the stadiums, as soon as the RNG AI does something painfully stupid it just takes me out of that whole setting. This is compounded by the NPCs saying stuff like "wow what a battle!" after I just KOed their 2 pokemon in 2 moves.
  • Minor gripe but I feel like I'm being stopped for conversations and cut scenes wayyy too often

They did a good job with streamlining in places, but there's just too many lazy mechanics from 20 years ago still there. The obvious counter point is, well that's pokemon and it's always been like that. But it does stick out as being very dated in many ways. Obviously it's not as bad of a game as the ridiculous Internet outcry.. but it really does feel like the series could do with it being taken away from Game Freak and given to people who might offer a fresh perspective.

• Upvote 1

Riding around the wild area on the BMX can be a simple pleasure but the frame rate becomes shameful in the wrong conditions.

It is mostly easy, but I can’t lie, the low difficulty made me become so complacent that Nessa’s Drednaw wiped out my entire team on my first attempt. :blush:

I found the whole thing easy up until the final champion fight. Managed that with my last Pokemon and used lots of max revives as I cycles through trying to get the right typings in place.

I'm pretty much at the last trainer battle now, from what I can tell.

For my team, there was a couple of biiiig difficulty spikes when you roll into the last city, so be prepared for that. Namely:

Spoiler

Oleana at Rose Tower, and Champion Leon.

Oleana must be the first NPC trainer that I've seen in a Pokémon game that jumps you with both a team of evolutions that you haven't seen after most of the campaign, and also made up of move sets that lock you into status effects and proceed to fuck you royally. Fair play, it was both fun and infuriating at the same time. Watching Oleana go completely feral is fantastic, as well.

Leon has the same 'who the fuck are these guys' dynamic, but instead of 4D chess, you just get completely outgunned - that dragon he has (not charizard) was dropping anything that's not level 65+ in one hit, and even took initiative over Cinderace, which is absolutely absurd. First time in this game I've forced a reset so I can go grind out some levels!

For reference, team is: Sirfetch'd, Cinderace, Nuzleaf, Xatu, Yamper's evolution and Bas... something (the fish that's exclusive to sword)

Other than that, the most punishment I've recieved is a couple of KOs here and there. Wild Area Pokémon are a lot more dangerous half of the time!

Glad to hear it gets harder :). Also I have been trying to stay away from spoilers and any info really, but glad the battle tower is in there! Looking forward to getting to that.

The only problem I've faced so far was 

Spoiler

Opal, with the unfair questions forcing stat-nerfs onto me. Other than that, losing in a Battle Cafe was my own fault because I went in with a half-depleted team.

Love:

The Wild Area. Frame rate issues seem to mainly happen when connected to the internet, at least for me, so I guess it's a communication/sync thing. It's big enough, with enough distinct areas, and seeing others tearing about on their bikes just makes you feel like you're part of something bigger.

Being able to pick and choose battles in long grass. Hence, committing Combee genocide in order to finally find a female one. (This was odd, because seemingly everything else I encounter in the wild is female.) I mean, who really wants to battle Woobats anyway after you've caught one for the dex?

The towns all seem more unique, and there's a definite journey as you progress further north.

Spoiler

It was also quite interesting to reuse the same stadium with a different pre-battle challenge.

TRs as well as TMs. The end of HMs had to lead to some change, and this is perfectly acceptable. I probably should have to work for some of the better attacks in the game.

EXP Share. Yes, I know most hate this, but I've found that the combination of this and access to boxes anywhere has actually meant that I'm swapping my team around more often than normal. No more sitting on 6 for the whole game, and meaning to come back and try that new guy out later on but never getting round to it.

Sirfetch'd! It's borderline broken, but just really fun.

Dislike:

Hop. Seriously, sod off. I actually feel bad for beating up on him all the time, but in previous games you've had to win those battles to continue. Has anyone lost to him?

Team Yell. There's just no reason for them, admittedly I'm only 5 gyms in but by now the backstory has usually started moving. Right now they're just bellends who stop me going the wrong way. As a player who accidentally did the gym order of 1,2,5,4,3,6,7,8 in Gold, I don't want to be so hard-guided!

I'm halfway through, but so far I'm happy to say that this is probably the best game in the series.

13 hours ago, deKay said:

What seafood do they eat in the seafood restaurant, seeing as there are no fish or shellfish in Pokémon land?

I definitely saw a fishing rod and fishing activity in the preview video.

23 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I definitely saw a fishing rod and fishing activity in the preview video.

You can fish... but for pokemon. Which you then battle. You don't eat them.

Also in the animé the Pokedex entry for Farfetch'd says they make "a delicious meal" and it's why they've been hunted to near-extinction. Perhaps in Galar the ones who receive a knighthood are exempt.

Also Basculin's Pokedex entry:

Red- and blue-striped Basculin are very violent and always fighting. They are also remarkably tasty.