rllmuk
Gotters

Thermomix

they aren't that big, fit under a standard height worktop with no problem and about the same footprint as a food processor or a kitchen aid stand mixer

Just leave this out permanently now on worktop (something I've never done with any other kitchen gadget beyond a kettle or toaster previously) as it gets so much use.

This weekend made up the chilli sauce for the beef barbecoa, strawberry & banana sorbet this morning for brekkie (it was hot still so its allowed) and then the best wholemeal bread I've tasted.

The bread is fantastic, its so light and not dense in the slightest (something I've always disliked before in bread machines or oven baked. 

This was the bog standard wholemeal recipe (just strong flour, water, butter, sugar, salt & yeast) given a 5m knead in the TM - I do cook it in a big cast iron pot, first 10m with lid on then 25-30m lid off and give it a good spray with water to develop the (excellent) crust. 

Screenshot_30_06_2019__17_04.thumb.jpg.ca7693856f59ea28f0a9b6c07618ff06.jpg

In the most middle class post ever I made up dough for pittas and hummus in this today.

Pittas were nice, as any fresh bread is, the hummus was amazing. Got to a great consistency and its all zingy with lemon and fresh tasting.

Thats another thing I won’t be buying ready made again. 

• Upvote 1

I just use a food processor but every time I make hummus I am like why do I buy this. So quick and I can add much more lemon. Also toppings are nice to get into like chopped coriander, caramelized onions, olives, a swig of good olive oil or a dollop of tapenade.

Flatbreads on the bbq with a little brush of oil or butter with crushed garlic is pretty dam good.

18 minutes ago, emerald fox said:

I just use a food processor but every time I make hummus I am like why do I buy this. So quick and I can add much more lemon. Also toppings are nice to get into like chopped coriander, caramelized onions, olives, a swig of good olive oil or a dollop of tapenade.

Flatbreads on the bbq with a little brush of oil or butter with crushed garlic is pretty dam good.

Yeah, now I know how easy and lovely the base is those variations would work a treat - quite like idea of making the hummus with roasted garlic for that mellower flavour.

we started pretty classic but did add some cumin and topped with some paprika for a little kick.

• Upvote 1

On 14/07/2019 at 15:56, Gotters said:

In the most middle class post ever I made up dough for pittas and hummus in this today.

Pittas were nice, as any fresh bread is, the hummus was amazing. Got to a great consistency and its all zingy with lemon and fresh tasting.

Thats another thing I won’t be buying ready made again. 

Yeah. Hummus is great. Did you use cookidoo recipes?

I made a béchamel today. It was so simple. 

I actually merged up 3 recipes I found, saw some added cumin, some paprika another a bit of agave, different amounts of tahini.

The more we have it out the more it gets used

This weekend made tomato pasta sauce, blitzed up the base for meatballs (minus the meat), hummus, pitta dough, cookie dough (which we froze for emergency biscuits) and the sorbet (which we make every weekend).

I know it's a luxury expensive device but feels like I'm just scratching the surface with it.

Glad to hear you appear to have bonded with it too @The Hierophant

Pizza dough yesterday. Was good. 

Lots of cooking today. Making chilli tacos for lunch. A veggie bean recipe from cookidoo. 

Then an I am making a chicken jalfrezi, saag paneer and Tarkha Dhaal tonight. All cookidoo recipes. I really want to try lots of them out and get a feel for them before I go back to my tried and tested recipes. 

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Lots of cooking today. Making chilli tacos for lunch. A veggie bean recipe from cookidoo. 

This was really good. Took minutes as well. 

7 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

Then an I am making a chicken jalfrezi, saag paneer and Tarkha Dhaal tonight. All cookidoo recipes. I really want to try lots of them out and get a feel for them before I go back to my tried and tested recipes. 

So it’s taken me less than three hours to do all three, that includes all prep and cleaning and I’ve spent a lot of that time on my iPad and doing other stuff. Amazing. Previously this would have taken me all day. I know. I've done it. 

• Upvote 2

Used the high temp mode today for the first time to make up the caramelised onion cookidoo ‘recipe’ (it s just onion, salt and a splash of water)

Brilliant, you lob some red onion lumps in, press a few buttons, 25m later you have a lovely pile of sweet dark onions - would never be bothered to make these up in a pan stirring for ages.

Went a treat with my second batch of hummus, really dialling that in now, used some cloves of garlic I roasted instead of raw, really rounded and mellowed it out. 

• Upvote 2

18 hours ago, Gotters said:

Used the high temp mode today for the first time to make up the caramelised onion cookidoo ‘recipe’ (it s just onion, salt and a splash of water)

Brilliant, you lob some red onion lumps in, press a few buttons, 25m later you have a lovely pile of sweet dark onions - would never be bothered to make these up in a pan stirring for ages.

Went a treat with my second batch of hummus, really dialling that in now, used some cloves of garlic I roasted instead of raw, really rounded and mellowed it out. 

Is the Thermomix stirring the onions then as they cook?

Just now, stephen129 said:

Is the Thermomix stirring the onions then as they cook?

sure is - you fully control the speed and direction - so at its lowest speed in reverse (the dull sides of the blades) its said to be the equivalent of stirring with a wooden spoon.

you aren't only turbo blending or off - its one of the really good features for things you are reducing or cook for a while that need constant or frequent attention