rllmuk
Gotters

Thermomix

I've been watching videos of these things on and off for years on YouTube - I'd be interested to hear from anybody who has one, or had access to use for an extended period.

I'm less interested in hearing 'do you know how much it costs' comments, more the views of how useful somebody who has one finds it, and is there anything where in your experience it really shines beyond doing things the more traditional ways.

Thanks

I'm interested as well.  We went away for a weekend and a friend brought one along. It seems pretty impressive.

My reservation is that I enjoy cooking and it might make things too easy and take some of the pleasure out of it. 

I see it as an additional tool to supplement what I’ve got rather than a do everything machine

I like the idea of making sauces or curry in it as you can mill spices then toast off stuff and blitz and cook all in the 1 pot.

I hate all the fannying around having to book a demo though - but sent in a request anyway

It seems like a lot of money for a blender that cooks stuff.  

Having said that I’ve just spent the best part of £300 on Dualit toaster and kettle so i’ll probably have one within a year.

My sister has one.  My Mum has one.  

My sister has had hers for probably 4+ years now and it is still out on the counter and still gets regular to semi-regular use out of it from what I can tell.

they don't make these things easy to buy, you have to register an interest, speak to a pushy self employed direct sales rep on the phone for half an hour whilst she tells you how its altered her life and she makes her own ketchup now, then book a demo in, then you get a shopping list of things you need to have in for the 2h demo.

I think its designed so you're so irritated by this point you just agree to pay full whack to get rid of them.

Its the antithesis of the 'buy it now' button.

On 23/02/2019 at 19:49, Mr Monday said:

I had to Google what a Thermomix was which brought this nsfw review to my attention. 

I've binged these. Those two are really fucking funny

Well the demo is super impressive - everything we made in the 2h was delicious

Whipped up a milk bread dough and now got a lovely looking loaf sat here, the sorbet with an egg white using the whisker as well as blades was a revelation in how good sorbet could be (it was all light and fluffy. 

Then she made a really simple veg soup with some chicken steaming in basket above, and used some of the soup as a base for a mustard sauce to go on the chicken. 

I want one.

• Upvote 1

Dude you have some serious kitchen stuff. 

What else do you have besides this new Thermomix and Zojirushi? 

If you haven't already you should look into Japanese knives.

@stephen129 - thanks, I'd say I have a functional kitchen with equipment I need to cook and prep meals in, I always go for stuff that serves a purpose, to that end I've never looked at really high end knives as with what I do never really felt the need (though I do love the Zelite knives that are often on sale on Amazon).

Looks like I've got lucky here with the Thermomix, day it arrives they surprise announce the new model the TM6 (they've always had a decade between models previously but pace of change is catching up on them now I guess) - they've already told me I can keep this one and use it and get the new improved more expensive model for £50 when it launches in UK in June.

Just made a goulash soup - this thing feels like cheating. You chuck quartered onions, carrots & celery in 4 bits and it finely chops them in 5 seconds, then sautés them in butter and oil for you constantly stirring, then cooks the whole lot and blends it up to a commercial consistency at the end.

Impressive.

gou.jpg.2c50764c15ac93e8debfeede83fcbc41.jpg

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, The Hierophant said:

What does it taste like?

really good - its got that homemade wholesome taste with a commercial consistency and feel - the recipe has pork and bacon in it and took the bigger lumps out at the end to add back in in bigger shredded bits, then the smaller bits get blitzed (you can see them in the pic if you look closely.