Jump to content

The Saturn Appreciation Thread


strider
 Share

Recommended Posts

i really want to get my white jpn saturn out, but I’ve had this out and about a few years now, so a sudden palette swap might be too obvious?

 

431F7D3A-7091-4A5E-BC2A-5ABA4DE8EDE9.jpeg.63d796832442e9afb737099d381cbbfa.jpeg
 

I mean, it’s not still in a bag hidden under the stairs with the 2600 or anything…

 

:unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gosh, I’m so sneaky!

 

out from under the stairs and into my son’s room, to try natural-sunlight-retrobriting. The matching pad is on the window sill.

 

1ADF55C8-8260-4B92-98A1-FA48ACA45118.thumb.jpeg.40ca6b499e7095f5b58be564026b8327.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, ulala said:

But doesn’t sunlight cause the problem in the first place?


reverse psychology!

 

but seriously what’s the second ingredient in retrobriting? UV light.


S’ok, sure the active ingredient is missing, and the sun yellows, but it also bleaches. I’m following in the footsteps of others here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:


Another question on this haul. Were Donpachi and Dodonpachi cheaper than eBay prices?


Yeah, but not by a whole lot. They cost £36 and £55 respectively with the 500 yen base fee included. Then there was internal shipping in Japan (averaged 350 yen per game of the 13 I got). Consolidation fee for them all of 1000 yen total. Shipping was another 4000 yen (via Fedex, which is really good) then 20% VAT with a £12 fee from fedex. From some rough maths DonPachi comes in delivered just under £50 and DDP at about £72. On a good day on eBay you might get either of them for that price, but you might wait months for that auction to finish there. The main reason I buy from Japan though is just the availability. I had in my head I wanted Soukyugurentai, DP, DDP and Waku Waku 7. I also wanted to get a few more off an extended list I have but was more hunting for good deals across the list than targeting specific games. The less in demand games like Fist (1000 Yen) and Pretty Fighter X (2000 yen) work out much cheaper than eBay, but they’re also much shitter games 😅

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Colonel Panic said:

Let's take a minute to appreciate how fucking cool the grey Saturn looks!

 

IMG_6866.thumb.jpeg.b83e7d1082ed76a539e05a2f26dbe64e.jpeg

Can ask where you got that TV cabinet from?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, phillv85 said:


Yeah, but not by a whole lot. They cost £36 and £55 respectively with the 500 yen base fee included. Then there was internal shipping in Japan (averaged 350 yen per game of the 13 I got). Consolidation fee for them all of 1000 yen total. Shipping was another 4000 yen (via Fedex, which is really good) then 20% VAT with a £12 fee from fedex. From some rough maths DonPachi comes in delivered just under £50 and DDP at about £72. On a good day on eBay you might get either of them for that price, but you might wait months for that auction to finish there. The main reason I buy from Japan though is just the availability. I had in my head I wanted Soukyugurentai, DP, DDP and Waku Waku 7. I also wanted to get a few more off an extended list I have but was more hunting for good deals across the list than targeting specific games. The less in demand games like Fist (1000 Yen) and Pretty Fighter X (2000 yen) work out much cheaper than eBay, but they’re also much shitter games 😅

 

Thanks for the info. I think I'll try what you've done to get them. I didn't buy them back in the day as there was a good bit of game borrowing going on and mates I've lost touch with had them!

 

Means I've got Souky, Layer Section, RSG and Battle Garegga, but not those and sometimes they're just a nice alternative to.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Must admit I love DonPachi and DDP probably more than any other Saturn shooters. 
 

At least you’ve got some of the heavy hitters there. RSG and Garegga both cost a pretty penny.

 

If you need any help or advice when buying just let me know, happy to help 😀

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hey guys, bit of a problem.

 

I ordered a 8BitDo mod kit for the Sega Saturn and modded one of my faulty saturn controllers with it. I wanted to use that with the Retrobit Saturn Receiver. It does connect, if I switch the pad to "switch" mode, but the buttons are mapped incorrectly (the Z&C buttons are swapped with the L&R buttons). The manual says that button remapping is possible, but doesn't really explain how to do it properly. Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Hey guys, bit of a problem.

 

I ordered a 8BitDo mod kit for the Sega Saturn and modded one of my faulty saturn controllers with it. I wanted to use that with the Retrobit Saturn Receiver. It does connect, if I switch the pad to "switch" mode, but the buttons are mapped incorrectly (the Z&C buttons are swapped with the L&R buttons). The manual says that button remapping is possible, but doesn't really explain how to do it properly. Any ideas?

Try updating them if you haven't already:

 

http://retro-bit.com/controllers-support

 

https://support.8bitdo.com/firmware-updater.html

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, have updated both firmware. They work, but I think the receiver takes it as a Switch controller, so the mapping is taken from that. Bit annoying, but I guess most people just buy the Retro bit controller. Should have just done that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Tomdominer said:

Yeah, have updated both firmware. They work, but I think the receiver takes it as a Switch controller, so the mapping is taken from that. Bit annoying, but I guess most people just buy the Retro bit controller. Should have just done that.

"you hold select and down on the d pad until the led blinks red once"

 

any help?

 

EDIT - wait no it's Saturn, no select button. Start and down maybe? Does it have a mode button?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On the sega Saturn retro bit pads on Amazon, are they really worth it for fighting games in emulators etc? Only 15 quid or so was thinking they'd be the right thing for megadrive games and mame. Though I see the megadrive ones too, take it there's no reason to buy those over the Saturn ones?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've been using a 2.4GHz Retrobit Saturn pad and it's amazing.

 

In other news, the developer of Fenrir seems to have wifi streaming of games up and running! It's a 21 pin version in the video but it applies to the 20 pin version too and will be possible just via a firmware update! 🤯

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.