rllmuk
bradigor

Dirt Rally 2.0

10 hours ago, Orococco said:

This one's had nowhere near the legs of the first one though, must be reasons for that. 

Admittedly, I'm basing that largely on the tumbleweed blowing through this thread. 

It's a bit of a mystery to me. Best rally game I've ever played which puts it comfortably in my top 10 games ever.

Part of it might be I wasn't able to run a league this time as my band takes up a lot of my free time. No one else seemed up for taking on the role which defo affected the longevity of the thread. 

I suppose it's just not really a driving games forum, I don't think there's even a thread for Assetto Corsa Competizione for example. 

• Upvote 3

yeah i think the lack of a league has meant this is quieter than the thread for the first game. not helped by the missing feature when the game was released - i played it loads and think it's brilliant, but that was near launch and i've not been playing it much since they added the leagues in. need to get round to trying it in vr.

about 1v2 i think they're both great, the first game had great tracks but i think the handling was decent but quite basic, but that's hidden by the extremely narrow tracks and going off track at all being a really bad idea. i think the second game still has great tracks but maybe not quite as good but then you can play a lot of the original tracks in 2 anyway, but the handling is definitely improved imo and so it's more fun throwing the cars around a bit with the slightly wider tracks (except argentina) and slightly less punishing off track (except argentina).

8 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

suppose it's just not really a driving games forum, I don't think there's even a thread for Assetto Corsa Competizione for example. 

There is but might as well not be :( https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/310316-assetto-corsa-competizione/&tab=comments#comment-12258686

I’ve really gone off Codemasters of late as they now have a habit of releasing unfinished games with minimal content and charging £74.99 for some Deluxe version that has the actual content. In addition in nearly every game the FFB needs to be patched which I think took months for this (and the reason I didn’t buy it). Appears the approach with Grid is the same. Perhaps the studio is financially more successful now but I think it’s lost its soul from the early F1 years and the original approach with Dirt Rally. 

2 hours ago, scoobysi said:

I think it’s lost its sole from the early F1 years and the original approach with Dirt Rally. 

Yeah, I defo think there's something fishy going on. 

5 hours ago, scoobysi said:

There is but might as well not be :( https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/310316-assetto-corsa-competizione/&tab=comments#comment-12258686

I’ve really gone off Codemasters of late as they now have a habit of releasing unfinished games with minimal content and charging £74.99 for some Deluxe version that has the actual content. In addition in nearly every game the FFB needs to be patched which I think took months for this (and the reason I didn’t buy it). Appears the approach with Grid is the same. Perhaps the studio is financially more successful now but I think it’s lost its sole from the early F1 years and the original approach with Dirt Rally. 

Yeah, I'm with you on this, if you look at Driveclub and GT Sport, how they've handled content, this seems like poor value for money. Not sure I'd spend more than £20 on it. 

That and the fact that I was terrible at the first one. As was mentioned up thread, the league kept me playing that. I picked up Wreckfest instead and its much more my thing. 

The Deluxe version is £22.49 on PSN store at the moment and now tempting. WRC 8 is also on sale at £24.99. Has anyone played both and can offer a comparison? Particularly interested in handling, quality of FFB and single player career e.g. are the DLC tracks in DR integrated into a career mode? WRC 8 seems to be getting talked about as having better gravel/tarmac physics.

Dirt 2.0 was a mess IMO, WRC8 is great and has wonderful tracks but it's not as sim like although the handling and ffb in Dirt is weird. The new locations in Dirt were really poor and lacklustre In their design but you do now have all the DR1 tracks... Honestly I thought DR2 was a major letdown but I love WRC as it's more fun. 

Then again I played WRC 5, 6 and 7 which people hate, and thought they were fun, so don't listen to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

just had a look on steam, seems like the first lot of dlc (season 1/2) is half price, but the second lot (3/4) is full price. not sure the second lot is all out yet so make sense it's not on sale.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, season 4 is being released at the moment.  Season 1 and 2 are decent but season 3 is the most essential in my opinion, as it contains 3 of my favourite rally locations; Wales, Greece and Finland.

1 hour ago, Hardbattle said:

Does this ever get discounted on the Oculus store?

yeah iirc it was ~£30 quite recently? so if its cheaper on steam that version works fine too, on an old rift anyway.

2 hours ago, Dudley said:

Does the base game have anything at all?

Nope!

and the DLC has all the stuff you actually want, as sharky says above with pack 3. I bought 1&2 in the sale and went looking for finland and greece, nope! It's an amazing game though.

• Upvote 1

As has been said, is there anyway to go to a shop and buy this with all the content? I really enjoyed Dirt 1 and with Lydden hill being added (or not?) you must be able to pick this up cheapo with everything in the box. Right?

Wouldn’t Dirt Rally or WRC or the MotoGP games make more sense if they followed the Rocket League model?
As it stands The yearly increments add nothing much and must cost a fortune to develop. If every year they sold the new skins for bikes and riders ( cars and drivers) and would spread the cost of development and the addition of new tracks etc. Which is surely what is going on now with the 4 DLC packs for Dirt 2. I’m sure it is a better game than DIRT Rally but when I saw DLC was going to be tracks that were in the original it put me off it. 

• Upvote 2

On 03/12/2019 at 21:39, Dudley said:

4 seasons of DLC?

Does the base game have anything at all?

6 rally locations (US, Poland, Spain, New Zealand, Australia and Argentina) and a load of good cars, so it's not like it's terrible value.  It's just the DLC doubles the number of locations and adds loads of desirable cars too.  Essential for a rally nut like me.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Junker said:

Wouldn’t Dirt Rally or WRC or the MotoGP games make more sense if they followed the Rocket League model?
As it stands The yearly increments add nothing much and must cost a fortune to develop. If every year they sold the new skins for bikes and riders ( cars and drivers) and would spread the cost of development and the addition of new tracks etc. Which is surely what is going on now with the 4 DLC packs for Dirt 2. I’m sure it is a better game than DIRT Rally but when I saw DLC was going to be tracks that were in the original it put me off it. 

I'd love them to build on the content in Dirt Rally 2 rather than releasing a new game.  There's so much there now with the DLC, but I'd like to see an extra long stage for each country and more rallies too (San Remo, Ireland, Japan, Mexico etc).

The base game is dirt (sic) cheap atm but with all the dlc it gets significantly more expensive. Do you peeps recommend getting all the seasons or should the pack with S3 and S4 be sufficient?

I'd get all of them eventually, but I'd imagine you can get the full game plus seasons 1 and 2 for a reasonable price right now. Then wait for a price drop for seasons 3 and 4 once they're fully released.