rllmuk
bradigor

Dirt Rally 2.0

On 26/02/2019 at 23:01, MattKB said:

Is there a way to set up custom tournaments like the last one? Only just had a quick check but the voiceover said the online tournaments are lobby based 

It appears you can only do this with people online at the same time :(

12 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Good to hear you’ve improved FFB, I won’t buy it until they patch it though as I spent more time farting around with FFB files in PCars1 than playing it and don’t want to go down that road again. Hopefully they’ll patch soon as I’m itching to play it.

yeah pcars was well annoying. i think the ffb problems in this are not in the same league, i've been playing with only small tweeks to default settings and really enjoying it anyway. yeah it could be better and some effects are missing, so hopefully they patch it, but the important stuff is there and works pretty well, imo.

4 hours ago, MattKB said:

It appears you can only do this with people online at the same time :(

oh man that sucks :(

• Upvote 1

The ffb comments are concerning. The F1 games suffer from terrible ffb, it’s one of Codemasters big weak points imo.

Visually the game looks great, art has come a long way. Codies need to start throwing more resource into wheel support though. They only do car games these days it should be one of their strongest points, not their weakest.

44 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

What are games with good FFB? GTS seems about the best I have played.

Assetto Corsa is the best I’ve played, although I’ve only played on PC not PS4. GTS is ok, a bit muted in terms of feel but best GT has ever been imo.

3 hours ago, mexos said:

The ffb comments are concerning. The F1 games suffer from terrible ffb, it’s one of Codemasters big weak points imo.

Visually the game looks great, art has come a long way. Codies need to start throwing more resource into wheel support though. They only do car games these days it should be one of their strongest points, not their weakest.

Agreed, I’ve always wondered why Codies FFB hasn’t improved all these years, ever since I’ve had a CSR I’ve had to use a different profile on the wheel for Codies and only Codies. I’ve just started F1 2017 again with a wheel since I got a Drivehub for PS4 and generally it’s ok, it gets a bit light in some corners but at least road effects are there and I can generally tell what’s going on.

9 hours ago, spatular said:

yeah pcars was well annoying. i think the ffb problems in this are not in the same league, i've been playing with only small tweeks to default settings and really enjoying it anyway. yeah it could be better and some effects are missing, so hopefully they patch it, but the important stuff is there and works pretty well, imo.

Yes it sounds as though the FFB is generally ok but road effects are missing. Is tarmac any better, reading conflicting reports, is there any more grip to it than DR1?

4 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Is tarmac any better, reading conflicting reports, is there any more grip to it than DR1?

Not sure about for ffb but the handling is better all round imo. Using normal tyres in the rain makes it really slippery, even when it’s not raining it’s not really grippy still but feels pretty good to me. Edit - soft tyres make it grip better.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, the game is glorious.  The ffb issues really aren't that bad and it gets better and better the more you play.  I discovered the joy of New Zealand with a modern (R5) rally car at the weekend, once you get used to the pacenotes you can really attack the stages.

Anyone up for a time trial challenge over the next few days?  Should I set it up in a new thread?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

Anyone up for a time trial challenge over the next few days?  Should I set it up in a new thread?

By all means do! :) 

(Just make sure to consider and include all the details such as weather, surface degradation and possibly upgrades to career cars?)

• Upvote 1

(Full disclosure - I used to work for codies up to 2014 and I got a free copy of the game from a mate who works there)

I'm a little underwhelmed, so far.

Almost every area of the game feels like a sideways step from DR1 rather than a step up, to me.

The car list – some great new cars, but we’ve lost the 2000 and 2010s WRCs in favour of the R-GTs. Licensing is probably to blame here, but it’s still disappointing.

The tracks – they’re pretty, but DR1 had proper iconic stages (Sweet Lamb, Col de Turini, Panzerplatte, ouninpojha). DR2 doesn’t. some of those stages are coming back as DLC, which is good, I guess, but at least a couple of them should have been retained.

DR1 had Pikes Peak, and its associated cars. DR2 doesn’t.

Handling – It’s been 3ish years since I was heavily playing DR1 but it doesn’t seem to have changed *that* much.

Co-Driver – Phil mills is a real co-driver, but he’s a terrible voice actor and if I hear him say “that stage was tough but felt fast” after I come last on a stage one more time, I’m going to scream.

The “My Team” stuff from dirt 4 – livery editor, sponsors, etc has all gone.

It’s good. It’s fun and punishing, sounds excellent, and all the things you expect. Completing a full stage at speed is a test of extreme concentration, skill, and judgement that you rarely find anywhere in gaming.

But it’s a sequel where you can’t do many of the best things from the last game, which is always a disappointment.

I couldn't care less about pikes peak, or rally cross for that matter. I'd definitely rather have the 2000 and 2010 cars than the GTs though, they seem a pointless addition. 

19 hours ago, milko said:

Pike's Peak got added later in the first game, maybe it's another DLC thing.

And maybe not, what a shame it's gone to a terrible stab at rallying that resides within GT.

Besides, as much as I like the rallycross, which was an absolute highlight of the first game, I think I'll wait for them to complete this version and not pay for the rolling beta....

1 hour ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Any suggestion what to do about the handbrake? Useless it been a button  on the steering and I don't want to fork out for a handbrake. 

Clutch pedal?

One advantage of the T300 over the G29 is that it has buttons on the bottom right hand corner of the base that can feasibly be used for handbrake. I totally agree that it's impossible to use a button on the wheel itself.

3 hours ago, Beezer said:

Clutch pedal?

One advantage of the T300 over the G29 is that it has buttons on the bottom right hand corner of the base that can feasibly be used for handbrake. I totally agree that it's impossible to use a button on the wheel itself.

Hmm yeah that might be an idea - does anyone use the G29 gearstick with Dirt? - seems a little light for me and I think sticking to flappy paddles is going to be the best option.

4 hours ago, Beezer said:

Clutch pedal?

I use a button on the wheel, as due to not being able to play the game in vr at the moment, I'm using my TV instead, which means I'm not in the best position to connect my handbrake. I don't find the button that difficult to use, impossible is quite the overstatement. 

3 hours ago, SharkyOB said:

I use a button on the wheel, as due to not being able to play the game in vr at the moment, I'm using my TV instead, which means I'm not in the best position to connect my handbrake. I don't find the button that difficult to use, impossible is quite the overstatement. 

a button on the G29 wheel?

10 hours ago, parrapatheslapper said:

I have my g29 now setup with the gear stick. Any suggestion what to do about the handbrake? Useless it been a button  on the steering and I don't want to fork out for a handbrake. 

I used to map handbrake to the wheel top-right on my T300 RS ('R2') which was an okay solution. At least you could activate it while keeping the hands on the wheel.

Mapping handbrake to the flappy pedals never working I think even when shifting with a manual shifter.

So I got the Thrustmaster TSS Sparco Handbrake Mod which is a bit expensive, but fantastic. Very solid metal feeling. Mounted on my Playseat like a proper fly-off hydraulic handbrake :D Plus DR 2.0 is one of the games supporting the 'progressive' effect when pulling.

If you want to full experience, it's well worth considering.

26 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

At least you could activate it while keeping the hands on the wheel.

I use the button on the base so I can steer with one hand and press the handbrake button with the other. So it’s in a fixed position, like a real handbrake. The problem with a button on the wheel is that it’s moving when you’re trying to press the damn thing.

13 minutes ago, Beezer said:

I use the button on the base so I can steer with one hand and press the handbrake button with the other. So it’s in a fixed position, like a real handbrake. The problem with a button on the wheel is that it’s moving when you’re trying to press the damn thing.

But your hands shouldn't be if they're in the 10 to 2 position. I do find my thumb slips off the button sometimes, but that's getting less often with practice. 

Shitty Australian roads are well simulated in this. Progress would be smoother through the fields.

I'm finding rallycross much easier this time, but the core Rally stuff more difficult. First attempt at the open championship in the Alpine: dead last :mellow: