Jump to content
rllmuk
bradigor

Dirt Rally 2.0

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, scoobysi said:

Here’s hoping PSVR will follow. Been playing the original in PSVR this afternoon and it’s bloody brilliant.

Have you been playing with a wheel? I have tried my G29 with Dirt 4 and Rally over the weekend and I don't seem to be getting any 'rumble' feedback but it works fine with GT sport.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, parrapatheslapper said:

Have you been playing with a wheel? I have tried my G29 with Dirt 4 and Rally over the weekend and I don't seem to be getting any 'rumble' feedback but it works fine with GT sport.

Yes I use a Fanatec CSR through a DriveHub in Logitech mode so I’d have thought a G29 would be ok. From previous experience Codemasters FFB was always the most difficult (worst) to get a satisfactory feeling with in any of their games Dirt, F1 etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

Yes I use a Fanatec CSR through a DriveHub in Logitech mode so I’d have thought a G29 would be ok. From previous experience Codemasters FFB was always the most difficult (worst) to get a satisfactory feeling with in any of their games Dirt, F1 etc.

Yeah they don't seem to be great - I will have a play around with it and see what settings are the best.  For a rally game I was at least expecting some constant wheel rumble!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So the review embargo on DiRT Rally 2.0 has just lifted, you'll see the first scores come in today. Confident of Codies to let reviews out so relatively early before release.

 

I have spent around 20 hours with the game so far and absolutely love it. Handling's much refined, notably on tarmac too. Great feedback on grip levels, which makes driving RWD cars much more fun than before.

 

Also, cars feel much quicker and engaging to drive. Even the Alpine A110 is now a proper rally monster - not to mention the Group B beasts!

 

My only possible gripe could be if Codemasters add microtransactions between now and public release. The career mode can get quite expensive on in-game money, with purchasing/repairing/upgrading cars and the whole personal thing. Performing well will earn you decent money but I can't help but shake the feeling the publisher may want to cash in on the fairly steep prices by letting you use real money... Fingers crossed they don't!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hopefully that won't come to pass, micro transactions are anathema to me.

 

I'm so glad the driving is good though (I had no real doubts about this mind).  I'll be getting the game the day the VR mode is released.  What are the new stages like?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SharkyOB said:

What are the new stages like?

 

Australia is amazing hilly farmland which turns into a proper mudbath when rained on, New Zealand is sort of the same both coastal.

 

Poland is a really cool mix between gravel and tarmac on flat planes, whereas New England (USA) is a Autumn-y forest with cool elevations.

 

Spain is completely bonkers with all-tarmac roads, many long stretches moving into fast corners that suddenly can turn extra sharp and bite you - an amazing challenge!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was going to pass until they announced VR support..  


Kinda looking forward to it now - I'll probably pick it up now even though the initial content sounded a little light until they add further countries and stages ?

 

Sounds good though Joe...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ColinMac said:

I was going to pass until they announced VR support..  


Kinda looking forward to it now - I'll probably pick it up now even though the initial content sounded a little light until they add further countries and stages ?

 

Sounds good though Joe...

 

I'm not getting involved in a VR debate again here but this game is very much well worth a play at the very least for the amazingly retooled handling - so much speed, control, feedback and challenge :D

 

It does feel a tad light on countries and stages, mostly because 4 out of 5 rally's are mostly gravel - no snow just yet. 

As DLC updates Monte, Sweden and Germany have been announced. Though these are just refreshed versions of the original DiRT Rally routes so don't expect too much new here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, McSpeed said:

It does feel a tad light on countries and stages, mostly because 4 out of 5 rally's are mostly gravel - no snow just yet. 

As DLC updates Monte, Sweden and Germany have been announced. Though these are just refreshed versions of the original DiRT Rally routes so don't expect too much new here.

 

I was going to ask if it was just those 5 countries!  Does seem a bit tight, hopefully all the countries from the original will be released as dlc.

 

Edit - Also Joe, is it the same format as the last game wrt the countries?  IE, 2 long stages which are then cut up/reversed to create the different stages?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SharkyOB said:

I was going to ask if it was just those 5 countries!  Does seem a bit tight, hopefully all the countries from the original will be released as dlc.

 

Edit - Also Joe, is it the same format as the last game wrt the countries?  IE, 2 long stages which are then cut up/reversed to create the different stages?

 

In essence, I think so. It works for me as they are generally good stages. Plus the effects of day/night and mostly rain (including serious puddles) help mix things up.

 

The stage generator in DiRT 4 was sadly flawed as it ended up producing far to similar looking stages - not enough 'modular building blocks', I guess.

Would still love to see it return in an improved form at some point in the future. Infinitely randomized stages could work well to keep the rally experience true and fresh.

That's my gripe with leaderboards in a game like this: people practicing stages over and over, learning the corners and ultimately setting the fastest times - which completely goed against the philosophy of rallying!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't rate that kind of stage generation personally.  Put it this way, if there was a quantifiable trade up here, like they could create a randomiser, or get three extra countries of properly crafted stages in the game (I know this is overly simplistic and not the way it would really work), I'd go for the stages every time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@McSpeed I have questions, you lucky bugger!

 

1. What's the online rally setup like? I'm sure I read that this was going to give us cross platform rally / leaderboards. That would be a great thing for Rllmuk!

2. Are you on base PS4? If so, what's the performance like? I'm kind of worried this is the one that pushes it too far.

3. Is the campaign much different to DR1? That felt very bare bones and I could imagine big improvements.

4. Are there proper time trials for evil scum like me who want to go against the spirit of Rally? Please tell me we have functional TT leaderboards this time!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Beezer said:

@McSpeed I have questions, you lucky bugger!

 

1. What's the online rally setup like? I'm sure I read that this was going to give us cross platform rally / leaderboards. That would be a great thing for Rllmuk!

2. Are you on base PS4? If so, what's the performance like? I'm kind of worried this is the one that pushes it too far.

3. Is the campaign much different to DR1? That felt very bare bones and I could imagine big improvements.

4. Are there proper time trials for evil scum like me who want to go against the spirit of Rally? Please tell me we have functional TT leaderboards this time!!!

 

 

1. You can create any rally(cross) event in free play and play by yourself or invite others. No direct cross platform multi but you will see cross-platform leaderboards (though lots of 'DiRT Player' names which make me think PSN / Xbox Live / Steam usernames aren't compatible here).

Hope they add custom league support like in DiRT Rally 1 too!

 

2. PS4 Pro, game runs fine though general graphical quality isn't as impressive as GT or Forza. Still some nice effects though and 60 fps framerate seems solid.

 

3. Still a bare bones campaign, though there are two now so to day (proper hard one in career mode, another less complex one in free play). Some nice real life rally footage to introduce each class of cars but little more. I'm fine with it as they've definitely focused on physics.

 

4. There is a Time Trial mode so I guess your answer is yes ;)

 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

was struggling to decide which version to get, want it on ps4 in case it gets a psvr update, but it's pretty expensive with the dlc, so went for the pc version with the dlc (first 2 bits anyway) - £43 at cdkeys at the moment.

 

i really like the short campaign mode from the first game, just playing through with different cars at different difficulties was great imo. when there's loads of races to finish the campaign i just want to get it over with and never really replay them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I've also bought it on Steam. Don't let me down, Codies !   :D

 

Gotta say from the youtube reviews yesterday - Jimmy Broadbent's - it looks great fun.

 

Just hoping for a old skool league like we used to do or similar. That was awesome fun....

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ColinMac said:

Just hoping for a old skool league like we used to do or similar. That was awesome fun....

 

Same here. And even if a league feature isn't implemented in the game, we'll just make a dedicated Online thread to setup our own cross-platform rallies :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 18/02/2019 at 11:45, McSpeed said:

3. Still a bare bones campaign, though there are two now so to day (proper hard one in career mode, another less complex one in free play). Some nice real life rally footage to introduce each class of cars but little more. I'm fine with it as they've definitely focused on physics.

 

 

That's a shame :(. I loved how DR1 felt to drive but the campaign was very limited (compared to Colin McRae 4 and 5 for example) and I really hoped this one would fix that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

The first one had problems running on the rift via steam, you had to disable steamvr to force it to open natively on the rift. Is this still an issue?

 

It doesn't have VR yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has reviewed well over at EG, very tempted to pick this up on PC but can’t help but feel that the money counters at Codies have had too much influence on the content holding back stages as dlc. Career mode sounds similar to previous, I’d liked to have seen this develop along the lines of F1 with a bit more of the feel of being in a rally, interactions with engineers at service stops etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a lot to be said about DiRT Rally 2.0 but in the end in has one mahoosive forte: physics.

 

Honestly, Robinson wasn't exaggerating in the Eurogamer review. The handling is absolutely sublime, dripping with feeling and feedback. You can really steer cars on the throttle this time the way you would in real life.

 

That for me alone was also the reason to return the Assetto Corsa on PS4 the other day recently - another game rather shallow on career and content possibilities. But it doesn't matter, as there's absolutely nothing like it (on consoles) which compares as favourably in terms of the driving.

 

And yes, stages (and cars) will be added through DLC and the VR mode will take a little extra while. But as it is now it's basically the best rally game ever made due to the perfect handling. That should be enough to convince anyone with the slightest interest in driving cars fast :)

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/02/2019 at 16:25, Jazz Glands said:

Is Rallycross still ridiculously difficult, or has it genuinely been toned down? 

 

In what way? AI is quite adaptable and difficulty settings no longer have an effect on your rewards.

 

Handling-wise, the front wheel drive cars are just not that enjoyable. The 4WD 'Supercars' are much more fun but do require some skill and commitment: letting it slide by aggressively lifting off and using the handbrake to rotate the car, then power out of corners.

That can be tough to learn when not used to, and there's no tutorial for driving.

 

I'll be happy to teach you a thing or two about it, though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, McSpeed said:

There's a lot to be said about DiRT Rally 2.0 but in the end in has one mahoosive forte: physics.

 

Jimmy says it's great except the tarmac grip still isn't right.

 

I watched a bit of him doing rallycross the other night and it looked and sounded properly visceral :)

 

Enjoyed this one too:

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.