BadgerFarmer

Baba Is You (PC, Switch) - 13th March

I was just looking back at my save. This is the first puzzle I haven't solved. No. 10 in the third area:

Spoiler

It looks so simple, but I just can't see how to do it. Presumably push the blocks and cog across the skulls to make 'flag is win', but how to get that cog across the water?

image.png.525253fc34ebd319b9a9b612a33aca76.png

18 hours ago, Eighthours said:

This lunchtimeI was getting my groove on in the Lake area. I completed a few levels in a row pretty easily and was sure I had a handle on the game's systems. But then I hit a level with a door with 'CRAB' behind it (either 11 or 12, I think - the Switch isn't on me at the mo), and it totally stumped me. I got access to the word easily enough, but the second part of the level - how to win it and not get Baba 'defeated' by an evil placement of immovable commands - is totally baffling me! Hopefully I'll go back to it after work and immediately see where I'm going wrong. Half the game seems to be about dealing with the Sokaban element of sliding the blocks around, but I quite like that unexpected gameplay element.

Pretty sure I'm stumped by the exact same puzzle.

1 hour ago, BadgerFarmer said:

I was just looking back at my save. This is the first puzzle I haven't solved. No. 10 in the third area:

Hide contents

It looks so simple, but I just can't see how to do it. Presumably push the blocks and cog across the skulls to make 'flag is win', but how to get that cog across the water?

image.png.525253fc34ebd319b9a9b612a33aca76.png

Same one has me stumped.

Progressive hints for that puzzle:

The number of skulls stops you doing it the "obvious" way.

Things which sink destroy stuff.

Including words.

Note you can only move 4 things: WATER, IS, SINK and the cog

WATER IS SINK and COG IS SINK

• Upvote 1

The absolute genius on show from such a perfect puzzle game like this is astounding. When a level stumps so many people for so long, well somebody made that. Someone thought it up and built it. And you can’t solve it. It’s incredible :wub:

• Upvote 2

The only logic I've come across that seems a bit wishy-washy so far is float. If you're floating then you can't push objects on the ground, and if you're on the ground then you can't push floating objects. Fair enough.

This doesn't seem to affect words though, you can move them even if you aren't both floating or on the ground. It's not a big deal really but it seems a bit cheaty. 

27 minutes ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Is this happening because of the belt?

Ive found objects with shift can seem to break the rules of a few other other things around them and vice Versa.

15 hours ago, Paulando said:

The absolute genius on show from such a perfect puzzle game like this is astounding. When a level stumps so many people for so long, well somebody made that. Someone thought it up and built it. And you can’t solve it. It’s incredible :wub:

I'd love a book / podcast / video series purely about the 'how' of puzzle design.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Majora said:

The only logic I've come across that seems a bit wishy-washy so far is float. If you're floating then you can't push objects on the ground, and if you're on the ground then you can't push floating objects. Fair enough.

This doesn't seem to affect words though, you can move them even if you aren't both floating or on the ground. It's not a big deal really but it seems a bit cheaty. 

Are you sure objects can't be push and float at the same time? I can't remember any examples.

Generally I thought it made sense that floating things were just off the ground, but could still be pushed and couldn't go over objects that stop.

2 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Is this happening because of the belt?

Yes. You're effectively moving forward and pushing the words, but the belt immediately pushes them back. And because Keke isn't push, you end up under the words.

It would certainly be clearer if it actually showed the words moving onto the belt then being sent back.

2 hours ago, Majora said:

But the text is the prime mechanic of the game. If you made them or yourself float and weren’t able to move them around, it would effectively end the level (like if you mess with ‘Baba is You’ too much).

20 minutes ago, donpeartree said:

Text follows its own set of mini rules. E.g. text is always pushable. 

Yeah, as soon as float is introduced this becomes clear, so no problem there.

I had more issues with text only working left-to-right and top-to-bottom. That tripped me up severely at the start; I expected that to work in any direction.

Loving this so far. I have a nagging fear the puzzles will get a bit too big for me. I love the small stuff. The one trick. Bigger more complicated might stall me.

If there's one area it differs from The Witness it's the "tutorials". TW did an amazing job of showing and ensuring you understood the mechanic in a way something's this can struggle with. That's not necessarily good or bad, just different. Much more experimentation required.

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BadgerFarmer said:

11 didn't take long. Area 100% complete!

And yet, 11 has me completely stumped! But at least the structure of this means there's always somewhere else to be trying puzzles 

Had a few levels now where when you start there only appear to be two or three possible options and none of them work in any useful way. Clearly I’m missing a trick.

4 minutes ago, deKay said:

Had a few levels now where when you start there only appear to be two or three possible options and none of them work in any useful way. Clearly I’m missing a trick.

Yep, this is the thing I love most about it.

4 hours ago, therearerules said:

Just did Ghost Friend.

I only got that one because of the level name hint.

Level:

Baba_Is_You_smIq2S5wZV.thumb.png.72e4bf2a339e39c82d95b239c84883e2.png

My solution:

Pull the ghost to face right, make BABA IS PULL and line it up so you make GHOST IS MOVE going behind the ghost as you push MOVE, then it pulls you to the right without moving the flag.

How did you get KEY without the ghost?

21 hours ago, thesnwmn said:

And yet, 11 has me completely stumped! But at least the structure of this means there's always somewhere else to be trying puzzles 

Finally done it. Just the Tiny Isle special in there to full clear that world.

Finding myself bouncing between a few too many levels at the moment.