Sign in to follow this  
BadgerFarmer

Baba Is You (PC, Switch) - 13th March - Baba Is Not Sekiro

I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm struggling to wrap my brain around the concept. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but even though I know how the puzzles work the concept is so alien to my brain I'm just totally shit at figuring them out. 

It's a puzzle game that doesn't play like one. For that reason alone I'm loving it. But my brain isn't. 

I hope this post makes sense and doesn't come across as my 'Old Man Yells At Cloud' moment. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, mdn2 said:

I don't know what it is about this game, but I'm struggling to wrap my brain around the concept. Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea, but even though I know how the puzzles work the concept is so alien to my brain I'm just totally shit at figuring them out. 

It's a puzzle game that doesn't play like one. For that reason alone I'm loving it. But my brain isn't. 

I hope this post makes sense and doesn't come across as my 'Old Man Yells At Cloud' moment. 

I think it makes sense. It's more a system for creating puzzles, so each one can ask you to think in a completely different way to the last, and it gives you no hints as to the kind of puzzle it is. It's a constant mind fuck, and I'm sure that's intentional. That's also why it's so pleasing when you figure something out.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

Already totally stumped  on this extra level :lol: (LAKE-EXTRA 2: SUNKEN TEMPLE)

The previous one had the same wall/crab/flag layout and made me feel dead smart, now... not so much.

Baba_Is_You_ki0nu8YMt6.thumb.png.dafbca084d0f56ac5eb76e83b9173bcc.png

Oh no, I'm stuck on the first version of that one, I can't believe there's a worse version! This game is fantastic by the way. I love the sense of 'oh no, you've broken the universe' if you mess with the Baba is You statement.

• Upvote 1

Oh wow, this came out of nowhere and it’s utterly brilliant. I love how it teaches mechanics by letting you discover them for yourself - exactly how a puzzle game should work.

Lake Extra Level 1 has just been my first proper 'aha!' moment. It's frying my brain in a way that hasn't been done since The Witness probably.

Absolutely loving this one, right up my street. I feel like the first half dozen levels should be mandatory at all job interviews, just to see how people approach problem solving.

Still not sure why 

Star is Open

doesn't work as a function on Lake level 13 though...

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, schmojo said:

Absolutely loving this one, right up my street. I feel like the first half dozen levels should be mandatory at all job interviews, just to see how people approach problem solving.

Still not sure why 

Reveal hidden contents

Star is Open

doesn't work as a function on Lake level 13 though...

Open only works on things that are bound to the Shut rule I think. Eg. "Wall is Shut" means you can open the wall with the star.

This game is simply wonderful. @Majora I just cracked lake extra level 2 and it made me feel like the smartest person who ever video gamed. 

Just beat lake extras 1 and 2 in about 10 minutes after being stuck on the first one last night. Fresh eyes always helps. Loving this.

• Upvote 1

As I was falling asleep last night I suddenly realised how to finish a level I was stuck on. Can't wait to try it on my lunchbreak

• Upvote 2

I keep asking myself why I can't stop buying Switch games. It's threads like this. You bastards. You beautiful, beautiful bastards. *Immediately buys Baba for You*

this sort of stuff is like catnip to me - I just can't resist despite knowing I'll play first 10 levels, enjoy them, then get stuck and not play again

• Empathy 2

This lunchtimeI was getting my groove on in the Lake area. I completed a few levels in a row pretty easily and was sure I had a handle on the game's systems. But then I hit a level with a door with 'CRAB' behind it (either 11 or 12, I think - the Switch isn't on me at the mo), and it totally stumped me. I got access to the word easily enough, but the second part of the level - how to win it and not get Baba 'defeated' by an evil placement of immovable commands - is totally baffling me! Hopefully I'll go back to it after work and immediately see where I'm going wrong. Half the game seems to be about dealing with the Sokaban element of sliding the blocks around, but I quite like that unexpected gameplay element.