rllmuk
kerraig UK

The most beautiful song you ever heard

42 minutes ago, Danster said:

I've been mulling over this question, what is the most beautiful song? I think it's interesting because to me that's completely different question to favourite, best, most listened etc.

I've ended up going round in circles - Three Little Birds by Bob Marley and the Wailers comes close, Moment of Truth by Gangstarr comes as a surprising entry for me too - spine tingling and hip hop isn't a common combination. But I think for sheer perfection I just can't leave this one out - a wonderful song covered in a beautiful way:

Edit: or Wish you were Here, of course.....

The Jimi version is in the playlist

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

That Crosby Stills song is lovely, never heard it before.

I hadn't either. It's really got under my skin and I now have to listen to it about once a week.

1 hour ago, kerraig UK said:

Have you seen this? Gives me genuine goosebumps

(WIsh you were with harmonies is taught as part of the curriculum in music in Irish schools, if you're wondering why they all seem to be so in sync)

Always gets me bawling. It's my go to song for remembering those not with us anymore.

Here's mine.  I used to listen to this soundtrack a lot a couple of year back when I was travelling.  I remember being stuck in an airport one night, flight home massively delayed, and I just sat in the corner holding back the tears while it played.

• Upvote 1

On 20/02/2019 at 09:07, Nobuo's Organ said:

I watched The Leftovers for the first time this week and it was basically Emotional Scenes To Listen To One Of Your Favourite Songs To: The Series

Edit: I've never seen this played live and just found this video, uploaded last month. I'm sitting here at 3 in the morning greeting at her expression from 5:08

On a Max Richter tip:

• Upvote 1

Someone has already contributed Let Down, although they've inexplicably gone for the reggae cover. The original is a lot more 'beautiful' in my opinion.

My beautiful, and sad, choice:

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, mansizerooster said:

Someone has already contributed Let Down, although they've inexplicably gone for the reggae cover. The original is a lot more 'beautiful' in my opinion.

My beautiful, and sad, choice:

I think that reggae cover might be my mistake. I'll go check.

This is mine. I want it played at my funeral.

In fact I might fake my own death so I can double check everything is in floods of tears when the orchestral strings kick in at the end.

• Upvote 5

I'm sorry ... but for me that is the most god awful song in the history of the entire universe. It's absolute torture to listen to. Used to be played on a loop in an hotel I worked in. There's something just insufferably asymmetrical about it, really hard to describe, but it just plays havoc with my brain cells.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, linkster said:

I'm sorry ... but for me that is the most god awful song in the history of the entire universe. It's absolute torture to listen to. Used to be played on a loop in an hotel I worked in. There's something just insufferably asymmetrical about it, really hard to describe, but it just plays havoc with my brain cells.

It isn't her best song by a long way, but worst song in the history of the world, just no.

Only made it onto the album because they felt they needed one more song and it was one she'd written as a lullaby for her baby. Changed up the lyrics a bit and bam, biggest hit.

Minnie :wub:

• Upvote 2

On 01/03/2019 at 11:20, kerraig UK said:

Helplessly hoping by Crosby Stills Nash and Young has stolen my heart. I'd never heard it before I made this.

Have you not seen Annihilation?

Anyway, tried not to think about this too much, this immediately came to mind:

Rhubarb is a great pick too.

Just chokes me up like nothing else. Not what everyone would necessarily call 'beautiful' but the weight the song carries and the deep profound sadness in the lyrics is a thing of stunning beauty, to me at least.

On 06/03/2019 at 15:28, strider said:

This is mine. I want it played at my funeral.

In fact I might fake my own death so I can double check everything is in floods of tears when the orchestral strings kick in at the end.

Oh wow. I literally haven't heard that song since I was working in penny Farthing video in Essex in 1993. Unlocked so many memories of people renting Shawshank Redemption and having their minds blown

• Upvote 1