IGNORED

The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

8 hours ago, Wiper said:

I forgot about this thread! Per my most recent post in the eshop thread, 2nd best visual novel (after Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations) ever made, and all around brain exploding sci-fi branching-narrative-em-up Virtue's Last Reward is £3.99 in the sale, which is a frankly disgusting price. Please buy it and play it, if you haven't already!

Well, I’m gonna have to buy this then.

How can you pay for stuff these days?

1 hour ago, Paulando said:

Well, I’m gonna have to buy this then.

How can you pay for stuff these days?

I’m not sure how it worked before, but when I bought a second hand 3DS recently I linked my Nintendo Account (Switch) with my NNID (3DS) and that allowed me to buy 3DS eShop games with the stored card in my Nintendo Account. 

From later this month you won’t be able to use a credit card directly with your NNID, and from August you won’t be able to use eShop cards to directly add funds to your NNID, so linking is your best bet (until the shutdown in March next year, anyway).

On 06/05/2022 at 08:47, Popo said:

I’m not sure how it worked before, but when I bought a second hand 3DS recently I linked my Nintendo Account (Switch) with my NNID (3DS) and that allowed me to buy 3DS eShop games with the stored card in my Nintendo Account. 

From later this month you won’t be able to use a credit card directly with your NNID, and from August you won’t be able to use eShop cards to directly add funds to your NNID, so linking is your best bet (until the shutdown in March next year, anyway).

I’ve just bought Luigi’s Mansion 2 and can confirm that the only way to now buy a game directly on the system is by using eShop cards. 

I bought on the website and the eShop option on the 3DS changed from ‘purchase’ to ‘redownload’. The site did tell me that the download would have started automatically, and I suspect if I had given it some time that would have been the case (but I was too impatient and wanted it downloaded in time for my morning commute).

I just switched on my 3DS XL for the first time in ages to download a couple of games I’ve seen mentioned in here…man, this is a lovely little machine. The sound effects for everything are just gorgeous.

8C27A7C1-0550-494A-8040-1CCADBEB4F44.thumb.jpeg.34b028f534fea7c2707e37aa034b3b2f.jpeg

38 minutes ago, PaB said:

I charged up mine the other and am now backed utterly hooked on pocket jockey 

Nice, I just had a look at that, looks great!

1 hour ago, ZOK said:

Thanks @PaB, I am loving Pocket Jockey!

Great isn’t it . I’ve lost hours to it . Just bred my first two star horse . Still have two races I’ve not managed to win yet. 

That shiny blue 3ds is such a  good colour. Iv currently borrowed my brothers new 3ds which I think is the snes one as the face buttons are snes colours. It's such a good console with so many awesome games. Just finished a sessions on advance wars Ds, what a classic 

On 13/05/2022 at 13:40, PaB said:

I charged up mine the other and am now backed utterly hooked on pocket jockey 

One of the best eShop titles for the system.

The time has almost come for major changes on the 3DS and Wii U eShops, as both stores will be ending support for credit cards in just a few days.

Back in February, Nintendo announced that it will be ending digital purchases on the two systems next March. As part of that, a few different steps are planned. The first step is that as of May 23, 2022, users will no longer be able to use a credit card to add funds to an account. Then on August 29, it will no longer be possible to use an eShop card to add funds. Download codes can still be redeemed until late March 2023.

A shame they're ending the eShop soon, as I assume that also implies no more transferring your data between systems :(

If your 3DS breaks down after that, a new 3DS will only play your games without updates or DLC.

I'm hoping the eshop will only be closed for purchases. Hoping transfers and re downloading will still work, but no idea if thats the case. If its just a blanket shut down thats awful.

But it is pretty easy to install CFW which I have just done, and then at least you can have access to games

On 13/05/2022 at 06:53, Popo said:

I’ve just bought Luigi’s Mansion 2 and can confirm that the only way to now buy a game directly on the system is by using eShop cards. 

I bought on the website and the eShop option on the 3DS changed from ‘purchase’ to ‘redownload’. The site did tell me that the download would have started automatically, and I suspect if I had given it some time that would have been the case (but I was too impatient and wanted it downloaded in time for my morning commute).

I tend to add credit to my Nintendo Account (Switch) and that then shows up on the 3DS. Easiest way to do it

What do they mean ‘add funds to an account’? Is that different to buying games? My credit card is tied to my Switch account and I can buy 3ds games with that, will that still work?

7 hours ago, ZOK said:

What do they mean ‘add funds to an account’? Is that different to buying games? My credit card is tied to my Switch account and I can buy 3ds games with that, will that still work?

Yes, but not through the 3DS eShop directly - you can through the website, though. 

Alternatively you can add funds to your account - you might have seen this pop up on the Switch when buying software, add £10, add £20 and so on - which would allow you to buy and download directly through the 3DS eShop. 

What’s the difference between the eshop and website? Eshop is via the machine I guess? So if I’m just buying games via my phone, the card method still works?

5 minutes ago, ZOK said:

What’s the difference between the eshop and website? Eshop is via the machine I guess? So if I’m just buying games via my phone, the card method still works?

I haven’t bought 3DS games lately, but I bought Wii U stuff on my credit card using the website on my phone or computer last week. Works fine. 

Yes I can buy 3ds games using this method currently too, but I’m wondering if this method is about to get nixed or it will continue to work after 23rd.

My reading of it is it will but I wouldn’t rely on me. I think I’ve scooped up everything I definitely want now but I’ll probably do some last minute panic buying next year before the hurricane hits. 

4 hours ago, ZOK said:

Yes I can buy 3ds games using this method currently too, but I’m wondering if this method is about to get nixed or it will continue to work after 23rd.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Support/Purchasing/Download-games/Nintendo-eShop/Notice-of-End-of-Purchases-in-Nintendo-eShop-for-Wii-U-and-Nintendo-3DS-2174073.html

There are two big deadlines coming up:

November this year - you won’t be able to use eShop voucher cards to make purchases anymore

March next year - you won’t be able to buy anything 

So those of us buying games through the eShop website with our NNIDs linked to our Nintendo Online membership accounts can continue to do so until March next year. 

On 25/04/2022 at 09:12, Luseth said:

I have 2 3ds's and honestly I think they will be true collectors consoles one day, I know there are an abundance of games available but like others have said, the consoles themselves are quite spot on with their portability and have some fantastic games.

I have a Pikachu 3DS XL which sit's nicely with my GBC Pikachu edition and then the new 3ds (ambassador edition), I wouldn't mind picking up a new 2ds XL when finances are a bit better later in the year but I don't think I will be hacking them as I typically like my consoles untouched in that regard unless I've bought one specifically for it.

That said I have started picking up the odd game for the DS / 3DS as I can see a fair few titles becoming expensive before long, the latest addition I have coming is Golden Sun Dark Dawn :) 

You're in for a treat. The Golden Sun games are wonderful.  Heaps of charm. Two of my favourite games ever.

20220517_150613.jpg

11 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I had no idea there even was a golden sun on the Ds.... Best day ever 

If you loved the original the sequel is a treat :)

On 16/05/2022 at 15:30, Vorgot said:

I'm hoping the eshop will only be closed for purchases. Hoping transfers and re downloading will still work, but no idea if thats the case. If its just a blanket shut down thats awful.

Thankfully it doesn't seem the case:

Even after late March 2023 and for the foreseeable future, it will still be possible to redownload games and DLC, receive software updates and enjoy online play on Wii U consoles and Nintendo 3DS systems.

Also, @deKay, would it be possible to post a link to your 3DS data transfer guide again? I remember using it back in the day, and it worked without any problems :)

3 hours ago, Kirby said:

If you loved the original the sequel is a treat :)

Honestly i played the gba versions and missed out on the ds one. Im contemplating it being one of the game i take away on holiday with me

I got a copy of Ridge Racer 3D and Metroid Return of Samus. 

Two games I’ve never played, and they’re both awesome! I really need to give my 2DSXL more love