IGNORED

The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

I love the 3DS so I'd advise keeping it. There's a huge selection of unique games both 3DS and DS it can play and nothing that emulates it will be able to replicate the form factor. As said upthread, it's also portable in a way the Switch isn't.

Keep the 3DS, there'll never be anything like it again. In fact I'd go a step further and buy a second one.

Actually portable 
Tank like

Battery Life

Amazing library

Modable

I rarely dock my switch so it's my go to portable, but it hasn't been turned on in weeks - Fire Emblem Awakenings has gripped me.

Definitely keep the 3DS. I got rid of mine and regretted it so much, I ended up getting myself a 2DS XL again (I can't see the 3D effect anyway). I have over 100 games on there and a lot of them are absolute bangers. That 100 includes GB, GBC and SNES games as well

As has been said, it will never be emulated properly either and there are games on there that couldn't be done on other systems, the Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q games are some of my favourites which couldn't be done in the same way on other machines

The only thing thats annoying me now is that the shop is vanishing next year and there are hardly ever any decent sales now. Surely they should be offering reductions to make some money from these titles before they vanish? My wishlist is pretty small but nothing on it goes on sale these days.

9 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

Guess it depends on how much you paid, how much extra you'll make, and if that profit is enough to justify selling or keeping it, only you know how much that extra cash will mean to your finances I'm afraid.

Oh not particularly much - I think I paid about £40 boxed (og aqua) so seemed like a good impulse buy. I'm definitely able to get by without the cash. 

just I find I'm able to emulate most other consoles fairly well so I wouldn't bother with the hardware just to play a game here or there, but the 3DS is quite unique and not really aware of some of the more interesting games were ever ported? (E.g. the Wii U's best games are largely on Switch, and GameCube games can be played on the Wii).

38 minutes ago, TomatoConvenienceStore said:

Oh not particularly much - I think I paid about £40 boxed (og aqua) so seemed like a good impulse buy. I'm definitely able to get by without the cash. 

just I find I'm able to emulate most other consoles fairly well so I wouldn't bother with the hardware just to play a game here or there, but the 3DS is quite unique and not really aware of some of the more interesting games were ever ported? (E.g. the Wii U's best games are largely on Switch, and GameCube games can be played on the Wii).

Yep, there is a huge amount that remains 3DS exclusive. I also have one of the DS flash carts which has all the DS games I owned in the past on it, again, you wont find a lot of those elsewhere. Its a cracking machine and didn't magically become crap when the Switch came out, it's a unique piece of hardware that I doubt we will see the likes of again

You know what it is, the 3DS came out around the time I grew up and stopped hanging around friends all the time - I moved in the with partner and got a 9-5, so as much as I liked gaming, it stopped being a communal thing to play.

I remember picking up Smash Bros for 3DS and Pokémon (black 2 I think, which although was a DS game was released after 3DS launch), both of which I quickly sold on because I just didn't really have people to play with.

I kind of ignored the 3DS and gave it away in the end. I just looked at IGNs top 25 3DS games - I've only played 2 (Super Mario 3D Land and OoT remastered). Maybe I'll hold on to it for a little bit then...

I've found I'm using the 3DS a hell of a lot more than the Vita these days. As has been said you get a unique line of games that you wouldn't get anywhere else. Getting stuck into Pokemon Ultra Moon at the moment and it's a hugely enjoyable game. You can play the best of 3DS and DS games. It's maybe not a good option for emulation though, but with that library there's more than enough to be getting on with. 

The 3DS and Vita are three must keep handhelds as you can play the entire back library on them (Vita and PSP / 3DS, DS, GBA, GBC, GB). 

Yes a little bit of hacking is needed but so be it especially if the corporations want to stop you getting the content legally, it becomes fair game. 

I've been mentioning this to my partner, the 3DS is a system that has enough unique functionality that you're just not going to get through other systems, and is not easily (if at all) replicated via emulation. This is going back to the original DS, but The World Ends With You is a game that loses a tremendous amount of appeal and character when played on mobile or Switch. And as others have said, it's portable to a level far superior than the Switch, and some of that catalogue is never leaving the system.

18 minutes ago, Cheyenne said:

I've been mentioning this to my partner, the 3DS is a system that has enough unique functionality that you're just not going to get through other systems, and is not easily (if at all) replicated via emulation. This is going back to the original DS, but The World Ends With You is a game that loses a tremendous amount of appeal and character when played on mobile or Switch. And as others have said, it's portable to a level far superior than the Switch, and some of that catalogue is never leaving the system.

That is it. Surely pretty much all the really good games for it will be more collectible in the future and only increase in price. The uniqueness of the 3D feature, love it or hate it (I loved it) wont be replicated again on any other handheld console I don't think. Reason enough to own it for me, and keep it, was the Sega 3D classics collections.

On 30/03/2022 at 16:26, Cheyenne said:

Hear hear!

You forgot to mention the replaceable covers of the n3DS. sWhy I prefer it over the n3DS XL.

So I want to try out a 3DS. 

I'm struggling to find a 'new' one that isn't an XL. 

What would I lose going for an original model?

Apart from coloured buttons, better 3d and faceplates. 

Should I hold out for a new 3ds even if I don't really know what I'm going to play. 

17 minutes ago, Gloomy Andy said:

So I want to try out a 3DS. 

I'm struggling to find a 'new' one that isn't an XL. 

What would I lose going for an original model?

Apart from coloured buttons, better 3d and faceplates. 

Should I hold out for a new 3ds even if I don't really know what I'm going to play. 

What you would lose is that:

A handful of games play better on the new models.  Hyrule Warriors is one such game.

At least one game - Xenoblade - will not run on an original 3DS.  I'm not sure if there are any others.

The original 3DS cannot play downloaded SNES games.

Well I stupidly bought a new 3ds despite knowing nothing about them. 

Going to give some 3d picross a go when it turns up.

To save me trawling the thread what else should I be grabbing?

Also can I log in with my switch account?

20 hours ago, Gloomy Andy said:

Mario 3D

Link Between Worlds

Box Boy

New Leaf

Super Hang On

Bowsers Inside Story

Rhythm Heaven

Fire Emblem Awakening

Metroid Samus Returns

WarioWare Gold

25 minutes ago, Couch Corpse said:

Mario 3D

Link Between Worlds

Box Boy

New Leaf

Super Hang On

Bowsers Inside Story

Rhythm Heaven

Fire Emblem Awakening

Metroid Samus Returns

WarioWare Gold

…and Pullblox. Best puzzle game on the 3DS

A big thank you to @ckny for sorting me out with Ridge Racer 3D. It’s brilliant! The 3D effect makes it quite hard to change your focus between the foreground and the background (which is rapidly becoming the foreground), which is a curious sensation. With most 3D games, once you adjust to the effect, it almost becomes unnoticeable. Not the case here. 

On 05/04/2022 at 20:23, rexel1 said:

…and Pullblox. Best puzzle game on the 3DS

Definitely this. I grabbed fallblox and the fullblox pass today before they banish

On 04/04/2022 at 23:16, Gloomy Andy said:

Sorry, missed the bit where you didn’t want to trawl through the thread, and don’t blame you.

i would add the Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q games. Dungeon crawlers where you draw the map on the lower screen. 

23 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Sorry, missed the bit where you didn’t want to trawl through the thread, and don’t blame you.

i would add the Etrian Odyssey and Persona Q games. Dungeon crawlers where you draw the map on the lower screen. 

I did end up having a quick look through the thread so got some ideas on bits to pick up.

Think someone mentioned one of the Etrian Odyssey games being more welcoming to newcomers. Was it 4?

Also when does the store die? Is it soon?

Going to focus on picking up eshop games first. 

The solitaire jockey game sounds good. 

What other eshop games should I prioritise? (Other than Pullblox)

I'm definitely going to grab outrun 3d also. 

The console arrived today. 

No stylus but seems in good nick. 

I think there's an SD card in it so need to open it up and have a look. 

Seems a lovely bit of kit. Not had a DS since the original silver brick so probably got some DS games to catch up on too. 

Then to try to add my Switch account to it. 

Give me a shout if you struggle with the account stuff.

Pocket Card Jockey is gaming crack. What a game. The store vanishes next year, so you have plenty of time to pick stuff up

Outrun is great too.Just fired mine up to see whats on there apart from the list above. 

The Zelda remakes of Ocarina and Mask are great, Link between Worlds is essential. Best game on the system. Rhythm Paradise has been mentioned but is brilliant.

Some more obscure stuff

Weapon Shop de Omasse

Attack of the Friday Monsters

If you like JRPGs

Dragon Quest VIII is a stone cold classic

Radiant Historia

Stella Glow

SMT games, IV, IV apocalypse, Soul Hackers, Strange Journey Redux

Professor Layton and Phoenix Wright games.

A lot of those only really work on the 3DS, they need that second touch screen to work, so will not get ported.

The store will close down next year, yes, but it’s important to note that payments methods are being phased out much earlier. You have until August to buy all the games you want:

22 minutes ago, Vorgot said:

Pocket Card Jockey

This yes, forgot this one it's genuinely really really great.

My list was only my opinion of the exclusive 3DS standouts I've played (I literally just glanced over my shoulder at the boxes on my shelf), stuff like Ocarina, Majora, DQ8 are perhaps ultimate versions of these games although the superior audio of PS2 DQ8 might be persuasive, it doesn't outweigh the portability of the 3DS version for me.

29 minutes ago, DeDeDe said:

The store will close down next year, yes, but it’s important to note that payments methods are being phased out much earlier. You have until August to buy all the games you want:

I think as long as its linked to a Switch Nintendo account, you should be OK. I added some money today and it shows on my Switch and 3DS

On 04/04/2022 at 23:16, Gloomy Andy said:

Just mod it, the store's are being closed down.

https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Are the 3DS versions of Ocarina and Majora worth owning in spite of their availability on Switch for free? The NSO versions were heavily criticised on release, but the emulation has been improved now. I’m wondering if the 3D effect justifies the high price Majora in particular still commands? 

My only real beef with the NSO versions is the Switch’s poor ability to emulate the button layout of the N64 pad, but I don’t imagine the 3DS is any better in this regard? At least, theoretically, the Switch has an N64 controller available - or would do if it ever comes back into stock.