The 3DS Resurrection thread

Raven

On 24/08/2021 at 17:49, Strafe said:

I think the screen goes brighter too but don’t quote me on that.

It's darker than my little 3DS!!! Quoted for eternity!!! :P

3ds.png.8f0a61b84ab3d207662dfc57e0268dec.png

But it look pretty good. I was concerned as I played an old 3DS XL in a shop before and I was put off by how blocky it was. I'm not sure why but this looks much better. I'd expect the biggest factor to be spending my own money on it. 

Anyway, I was all looking forward to playing some great games on it. Trying to get a grasp on what the hell is going on in DQ8 again.

But, it came with a bunch of Lego game carts and gave them and the little 3DS to my 3 year old. He's have a grand old time on the first level of Marvel Super Heroes not playing it properly mucking about with all the characters. Now he wants all the characters on the splash screen and I've been roped in to unlock the whole bloody game. 

No bloody cheat codes on the 3DS version. Fucking hell. 

4 minutes ago, Strafe said:

The XL I bought this year was brand new (well it was quite old but had never been used before) Maybe the screens dim over use. Or I’m seeing things 

It looks a bit like setting warm and cool on a TV in comparison. 

On 26/08/2021 at 15:48, Jarik said:

After looking through Amazon, this one appears to be the best bet:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07262B3RP/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_glt_fabc_QVPVENBKYX46X84X47FY?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's the one with the highest frequency of positive reviews, but there are sufficient negative ones sprinkled in amongst them to make me think that a bad experience/defective unit is just a risk that you run.

Edit:  I’ve decided to go for it.  I’ll be sure to report back on how it works out.

Update:

It arrived, I put it in, charged it up & played a couple of hours of Super Mario 3D Land, Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros & Ultimate NES Remix & also left it in Sleep + Streetpass mode for the rest of the day.  The battery is still showing 3 quarters charged.

The real test will be how it fares long-term, but encouraging so far.

On 30/08/2021 at 17:39, AK Bell said:

it came with a bunch of Lego game carts and gave them and the little 3DS to my 3 year old.

Just had to clean all these free carts I got. One was dead, one worked fine, and the others were temperamental. Also, how do they get these carts so manky? How?!?! 

Got them all working though, although the "dead" one takes a couple of goes. 

Feeling funny after sniffing all that 99% alcohol stuff. I was singing away to myself during The Hit List.

Why does this stuff only sell in massive bottles? Has anyone ever needed more than a thimble for anything?

3 hours ago, AK Bell said:

Just had to clean all these free carts I got. One was dead, one worked fine, and the others were temperamental. Also, how do they get these carts so manky? How?!?! 

Feeling funny after sniffing all that 99% alcohol stuff. I was singing away to myself during The Hit List.

Why does this stuff only sell in massive bottles? Has anyone ever needed more than a thimble for anything?

Yeah I have a huge bottle under my sink that won't get used in a good 30 years of continuous use. It is handy for cleaning cart connectors and the like though.

My fire emblem 3DS XL powers up but hasnt been reading carts or the micro sd cards for a while and just sits on blank home screen, disgustingly been ding nothing but gathering dust for a couple of years.

Nintendo no longer seem to offer repairs on the machine so I think it's time to pick up a 'new' 3DS XL so that I might get some use from all my old carts. Are there any new ones out in the wild anywhere or is it a case of picking the best condition used one I can find?

I couldn't find anything new. Had to just squint at pictures on ebay of second hand ones and hope the description is honest.

I got lucky. There is a little scratch on the  bottom screen that wasnt mentioned but not bad enough to send back for what I was paying. But in the past I'd have gone to CEX to see it and hold it first.

I’d forgotten just how good Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros is, especially the Soundtrack:

I never played Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam though as it didn’t review well at the time. Is it worth playing after the high that is Dream Team?

On 05/09/2021 at 16:01, mwaawm said:

Thanks hadn't thought to check Facebook, will have a mooch around later.

I got a New 3DS XL for £60 on Facebook Marketplace.  Definitely worth setting up an alert.

34 minutes ago, Jarik said:

I’d forgotten just how good Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros is, especially the Soundtrack:

I never played Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam though as it didn’t review well at the time. Is it worth playing after the high that is Dream Team?

They are all worth playing 

3 hours ago, dumpster said:

I got a New 3DS XL for £60 on Facebook Marketplace.  Definitely worth setting up an alert.

Sorry a bit off topic but how safe is Facebook market place in comparison to ebay for example?

7 hours ago, mwaawm said:

Sorry a bit off topic but how safe is Facebook market place in comparison to ebay for example?

Facebook Marketplace doesnt have protection for the buyer or the seller.  It's more like a noticeboard in the corner shop or an ad in the local paper.  Sellers can be given a rating so you do have some indication who the regular sellers are.  But Ive never had an issue, especially if you're collecting the item from the sellers home address.  

I've never bought anything where I've sent money or got the item in the post but for local trading it's great, in my experience. And it's free.

11 hours ago, carlospie said:

They are all worth playing 

So that's Dream Team, Paper Jam & the 3DS remakes of Superstar Saga & Bowser's Inside Story?

I remember playing Superstar Saga on the GBA & not being that blown away & never finishing it.  I liked Bowser's Inside story much better with it's new gameplay ideas such as the Bros helping Bowser out from inside his body & played it through to the end.  Dream Team was IMO the ultimate culmination of the series with it's Dream World/Luiginoid mechanics, great writing & fantastic soundtrack.  As I said, Paper Jam didn't review that well but I am still curious to check it out one of these days, & it does seem to currently be occupying that space where since it isn't that old you can get a copy fairly easily & for a reasonable price.  Superstar Saga & Bowser's Inside Story don't quite seem to be at that point yet.

On 04/09/2021 at 20:13, AK Bell said:

I've got an 100ml bottle.

But I use it quite a bit, it's always worth cleaning any new cart you get because otherwise that gunk is in the machine.

This is one Mega drive cart from cash convertors.(Spoiled for ick)

Spoiler

2086292283_2021-08-2117_47_05.thumb.jpg.7b9effd3ba6f65c1a940c9842fe60e32.jpg

I haven’t owned any Nintendo devices since the GameCube, but I am considering getting a New 3DS LL for some of the Sega stuff. However it would cost more than the console itself to get the three-pack, and one on it’s own would be about half the price of the 3DS (if I could find one for sale). 

Somebody mentioned that the titles included on those compilations could be bought digitally on the Nintendo equivalent of PSN or whatever. What’s involved in setting that up? Is it still active all these years after the console ceased production? Do you need a credit card (can’t get one as a self-employed foreigner living in Japan) or do they sell points cards?

In the UK points cards still exist.  Otherwise it's much like the other consoles, account, buy stuff, download stuff.

If you just want to play the games, I should mention flash cards for the 3DS are a thing.

15 minutes ago, Dudley said:

In the UK points cards still exist.  Otherwise it's much like the other consoles, account, buy stuff, download stuff.

If you just want to play the games, I should mention flash cards for the 3DS are a thing custom formware and just using a .cia installer on your standard micro SD cards is a thing ;)  ( but buy the games from a recognised trader instead 😛 )

FTFY ;) 

16 hours ago, mwaawm said:

9 hours ago, dumpster said:

Facebook Marketplace doesnt have protection for the buyer or the seller.  It's more like a noticeboard in the corner shop or an ad in the local paper.  Sellers can be given a rating so you do have some indication who the regular sellers are.  But Ive never had an issue, especially if you're collecting the item from the sellers home address.  

I've never bought anything where I've sent money or got the item in the post but for local trading it's great, in my experience. And it's free.

Yup.  I've bought a couple things off there.  Twice local collection. And once where some mad lady was selling a GameBoy Micro for 45 quid.  Took the risk on that and it turned out fine.   Got the game boy a few days later.

20 hours ago, MikeBeaver said:

FTFY ;) 

Yeah I saw some stuff about that but I think it depends what fw the 3ds currently is etc.

But yeah it could be even better if you're willing to consider a non-legal option for these unavailable things.

It is really easy to CFW your 3DS these days, even a cack-handed idiot like me managed it. Obviously I only use it for emulators and homebrew. However you can back your legit carts up to your SD card and run them from the main screen easily. Worth it for that. 

On 06/09/2021 at 20:08, Jarik said:

Amazing soundtrack! :wub:

Paper Jam wasn't as good but worth a go. Actually, here are my thoughts on it from 2019:

On 09/09/2021 at 12:26, Sprite Machine said:

Amazing soundtrack! :wub:

Paper Jam wasn't as good but worth a go. Actually, here are my thoughts on it from 2019:

Would you say the 3DS remakes of Superstar Saga & Bowers Inside Story measure up to the likes of Dream Team?  As far as I can tell they’re the same games they were on the GBA/DS & as I’ve already played them through on those consoles they don’t really appeal.

On 10/09/2021 at 17:33, Jarik said:

Would you say the 3DS remakes of Superstar Saga & Bowers Inside Story measure up to the likes of Dream Team?  As far as I can tell they’re the same games they were on the GBA/DS & as I’ve already played them through on those consoles they don’t really appeal.

Sorry, I never played the remakes. I don't particularly like the way they look, but I'm sure they're fine.

5 minutes ago, Sumire said:

This thread made me check out Ocarina of Time again. Wow, I forgot how utterly amazing it looks in 3D.  It is surely the best of all the multitude of releases for other platforms over the years.

Can't believe the remake is already ten years old! That was the game that sold me on the 3DS being a capable games machine rather than a doomed novelty device. I probably enjoyed it more on the 3DS than I did on the Nintendo 64. Didn't want the game to end by the final parts of it.