Gotters

What series/genre should be 'battle royaled' next ?

Feud. Actually, that popped into my head as a joke, but the more I think about it.... What do you say @JPickford, would a load of wizards running around brewing potions, turning each other into zombies and blasting them with lightening whilst collecting plants translate to the battle royale formulae? Could be a Next exclusive. :P

3 hours ago, K said:

A battle royale take on Bushido Blade would be pretty cool. The original game had this huge (for the time) open world, with an interconnected landscape that you could roam around at will, which was also completely pointless because you always started off in the same spot, and had no reason to spend five minutes and several loading breaks running across the map to have a fight that would be over in ten seconds anyway.

If you had a similar approach, with loads of people armed with various knives and stabbing weapons having running battles across some fantasy Kurosawa landscape, with coves, forests, castles, villages, blasted heaths, while a heavily stylised storm pushes you all closer to one point on the map - I'd buy that game, especially if it was in black and white. 

This is what I was going to suggest. Damn, I thought I was going to be so original as well.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Car game but with some people on foot trying to take out the cars as they race round the track and get to the end.   Each team has drivers and foot soldiers with rocket launchers/beam weapons.  You would have car teams of three plus maybe 3 foot soldiers. Two heavily shielded wingmen protecting the lead car with various factions trying to take them out as they try to complete x lap.  I'd love to sit on a hilltop attempting to take out cars as they fly past with their bodyguard(s) trying to intercept a rocket with their heavier car.   Stick some guns/rockets on the cars too and it could be glorious chaos. Or crap.  who knows.  Have had this idea for a couple of years now and always wanted to knock up a prototype but I don't think I'd ever have the resources or time to make something anyone actually wanted to play. 

*cough* GTA V already has this *cough*

• Upvote 1

As I put in the other thread, I’d like to see some other puzzle games given the treatment 

Panel De Pon / Tetris Attack 

Dr Mario

Puyo Puyo

Animal Crossing Zoo Keeper

Bejeweled 

All just variants of the same format as Tetris 99. I may be in the minority here but I’d throw money at these. 

• Upvote 1

I still stand by my Katamari Battle Royale idea. Think about it, a hundred Katamaris drop out of the sky on a huuuuuge world and then it's a matter who rolls everything up the fastest. Get big enough fast enough to roll up rival Katamaris. 

• Upvote 2

I've thought about this for racing games. I can see a few scenarios working out. Loads of kind-of attempts have been made but nothing quite hits the spot. Hopefully one of these will:

1. Taking the tetris 99 type model and applying it to a time trial style racing game. The basic premise is that everyone is racing on the same track and the position/location of all cars is accessible somehow (leaderboard or map). The game is in ghost mode, so no physical interaction. The game uses the kudos system from PGR (one where the kudos is balanced between clean, quick driving and stylish driving). The battle mechanic would work almost identically to tetris 99, where kudos that you earn can be spent on 'slowing down' other players. If you come under attack you would have to gain so much kudos in a timespan, to avoid being slowed. If you don't then the acceleration of your car drops. As with tetris, you could have attack choices along the lines of: 'leaders', 'rivals' (closest to you), 'tail-enders', 'kudos leaders'. You would get bonus acceleration for being the last person to slow a player before they get eliminated. Elimination could be 5-10 players per lap. As with 99, you would get a time-span to remove the incoming acceleration attack by gaining kudos but this would obviously need to scale with the scale of the attack. Winner is last man standing, standard style.

2. Full on contact, with a narrowing and shortening track. This would require a staggered start (possibly everyone starts at the same time, spread throughout the track. Initially the track is really wide and on the outer edges there are zones or pickups that will improve the stats of your car. I'm thinking car mass increase (with no impact on acceleration)to make it harder for you to be knocked off and possibly some kind of health mechanic (time allowed out of the track limits without being eliminated) or acceleration, braking and top speed. With every zone decrease, the track route would change too, to make the track shorter. So shorter and narrower as time goes by. Elimination would be by 2 methods, the first would be by being out of the boundaries for a certain amount of time (the health mechanic can come in here) or not achieving a certain target lap time in the time period. For example the first zone would require a maximum single lap time of 1 minute. As long as you do this once within the first zone, you don't get eliminated by timeout method. Hopefully these methods will allow some level of tactics in the early stages. For example, people who block others in will also be at a huge risk of being eliminated themselves by not making the target time. Maybe the target time could be set by a percentage of the average fastest lap times. PGR had a mode which was my main inspiration for this, where teams could battle where one player on the team had a shit car, and the other a top car. The winning team was the team to get the shit car over the line first. There was a great risk reward in that mode with blocking/protecting.

I think mode 1 is probably more technically realistic but 2 might be the better adaptation of the mode to a racing game.

• Upvote 2

OK, stay with me.

It's enormous Pac-Man. Huge map - might even need mini-map - loads of ghosts and loads of Pac-Men. It plays the same as the classic but, when two Pac-Men run into each other, the one who has eaten the most pills wins.

7 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Very large player numbers and play areas, limited and random resources, no or extremely limited respawning, and the safe play area constantly shrinks.

Edit - And the air-drop opening.

I think it is safe to call them “PUBG clones”, they’re not out of the umbrella of that game yet in terms of directly lifting specific details.

No respawning? Doesn't that make taking part extremely boring except for the top skilled people?

6 minutes ago, Darwock said:

No respawning? Doesn't that make taking part extremely boring except for the top skilled people?

Not usually, no. The player density is really, really low at the start of the game. The game is mostly about figuring out where people are likely to be, efficiently looting while maintaining awareness of your surroundings etc. until you’re forced in to combat. And it’s not like COD when bullets do start firing, there’s a lot of back and forth and regrouping.

Apex Legends has a healer class, put it that way. It doesn’t play like a death match game.

3 hours ago, bradigor said:

As I put in the other thread, I’d like to see some other puzzle games given the treatment 

Animal Crossing

Firstly, Animal Crossing isn't a puzzle game. Secondly, sweaty Animal Crossing sounds like the least appealing thing ever.

I could be wrong. Sweaty Animal Crossing might be the best thing ever.

1 minute ago, Lyrical Donut said:

Firstly, Animal Crossing isn't a puzzle game. Secondly, sweaty Animal Crossing sounds like the least appealing thing ever.

I meant Zoo Keeper... I am a moron. 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, joffocakes said:

I'd love something like Anarchy Reigns as battle royale. Maybe groups of players as a wandering gang so that the focus is on team brawlin'. Absolutely minimal long rage weaponary and loads of suplexing folk through buildings. Also you can clothesline buildings so hard the collapse. And you can suplex a skyscraper.

Anarchy had some amazingly fun online game modes, which I didn't get to play much of because the game went out and died.

• Upvote 1

A Tony Hawk / JSR / SSX type game - a giant skate arena or infinite downhill boarding - lowest total points at each checkpoint get the boot. 

• Upvote 1

People have said F-Zero ready, but F-Zero. Dropping the last racer is the obvious one, but I think you could potentially do it better with the health / boost bar.

Every lap the health bar gets shorter. Remove the recovery pads, and only allow it to be refilled by good play - fastesy lap, hitting boost pads, maintaining speed etc. Maybe feed in the car setup to allow different configurations to allow some strategy. 

At the start, a dense field would mean you could take out players like FZero Xs battle mode, but as the field thins it becomes about not making a mistake. Then either narrow the track or keep pushing the speed until someone cracks.

Tracks would need designed around it, but it could be insanely good.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Mike1812 said:

That's a great call. In fact, was this the first battle royale? A 4 player version of it?

No. Chaos was. Possibly.

Or Combat or Outlaw on the Atari.

17 minutes ago, pastry said:

A Tony Hawk / JSR / SSX type game - a giant skate arena or infinite downhill boarding - lowest total points at each checkpoint get the boot. 

Tony Hawk’s Downhill Jam already exists.

2 hours ago, BeeJay said:

I've thought about this for racing games. I can see a few scenarios working out. Loads of kind-of attempts have been made but nothing quite hits the spot. Hopefully one of these will:

1. Taking the tetris 99 type model and applying it to a time trial style racing game. The basic premise is that everyone is racing on the same track and the position/location of all cars is accessible somehow (leaderboard or map). The game is in ghost mode, so no physical interaction. The game uses the kudos system from PGR (one where the kudos is balanced between clean, quick driving and stylish driving). The battle mechanic would work almost identically to tetris 99, where kudos that you earn can be spent on 'slowing down' other players. If you come under attack you would have to gain so much kudos in a timespan, to avoid being slowed. If you don't then the acceleration of your car drops. As with tetris, you could have attack choices along the lines of: 'leaders', 'rivals' (closest to you), 'tail-enders', 'kudos leaders'. You would get bonus acceleration for being the last person to slow a player before they get eliminated. Elimination could be 5-10 players per lap. As with 99, you would get a time-span to remove the incoming acceleration attack by gaining kudos but this would obviously need to scale with the scale of the attack. Winner is last man standing, standard style.

2. Full on contact, with a narrowing and shortening track. This would require a staggered start (possibly everyone starts at the same time, spread throughout the track. Initially the track is really wide and on the outer edges there are zones or pickups that will improve the stats of your car. I'm thinking car mass increase (with no impact on acceleration)to make it harder for you to be knocked off and possibly some kind of health mechanic (time allowed out of the track limits without being eliminated) or acceleration, braking and top speed. With every zone decrease, the track route would change too, to make the track shorter. So shorter and narrower as time goes by. Elimination would be by 2 methods, the first would be by being out of the boundaries for a certain amount of time (the health mechanic can come in here) or not achieving a certain target lap time in the time period. For example the first zone would require a maximum single lap time of 1 minute. As long as you do this once within the first zone, you don't get eliminated by timeout method. Hopefully these methods will allow some level of tactics in the early stages. For example, people who block others in will also be at a huge risk of being eliminated themselves by not making the target time. Maybe the target time could be set by a percentage of the average fastest lap times. PGR had a mode which was my main inspiration for this, where teams could battle where one player on the team had a shit car, and the other a top car. The winning team was the team to get the shit car over the line first. There was a great risk reward in that mode with blocking/protecting.

I think mode 1 is probably more technically realistic but 2 might be the better adaptation of the mode to a racing game.

Nah, just use Formulas 1s currently qualifying system (after X amount of time Y number of drivers are eliminated, until you have a top ten shoot out). No gimmicks needed as the more often you drive a circuit you should (in theory) get quicker.