What type of retro fan are you?

I've personally little interest in retro gaming nowadays, the pal N64 sucked ass, why on earth would I ever want to play it again? 

I have a neo with 38 games that's my main machine, over the PS4 (2 games), and an ngpc with five games. I've never been one for omg 2500 retro games including a sealed tomorrow never dies for PS1. It does literally nothing for me. 

What kind of retro gamer are you? Do you just hoover up any old shit at car boot sales because it's a gaming item from the 90s - regardless of what it is or condition, or do you have a specific interest in a nice library for a single machine? 

When I see people's retro setups with 9000 consoles and a separate CRT, I'm like nah mate 

I don't collect, and most of the time I emulate stuff, but I do sometimes like to track down sixth-generation stuff (particularly GBA and PS2) as there are still a lot of games that I missed out on originally (I was late to the party for Yakuza, Persona 3, FFXII etc), as well as individual titles I have fond memories of. :) 

I do both but I don't really like emulating stuff because I tend to amass squillions of ROMs and never enjoy any of them properly. Constantly flicking through and playing with little regard for them but when I have a collection going it gives me a neat goal to aim towards and I tend to make more time for individual titles.

I play retro games alongside new ones. These days it's mainly emulated, either on RetroPie or in the form of Classics collections on the Switch or whatever. I do dig out old consoles occasionally but it's such a hassle.

I've over 3000 games but I don't buy many from carboots and stuff any more, mainly because I rarely go to any these days. I only have one sealed game and that's only because I don't have the console to play it on (it's Karateka for the Atari 7800).

My "preferred" retro systems are the Speccy and Mega Drive. I play a fair few NES games too, but I don't have a "love" of the system, just a lot of games for it! I don't class anything after the Dreamcast as retro.

I went through a horrific stage of this collect everything in sight idea, mainly SNES and Dreamcast, it reaches the point where you're just buying for buyings sake I think. I do know a couple of lads who are still in the business of trying to do "full collections" (where did this come from by the way?!) but you're just buying shit to fill up random shelves? 

I actually think I lost money when I sold most of it on but that was mainly just trying to get rid quick when I got laid off. Never again. 

It's all emulation now apart from the nostalgia stuff, but I play games on emulation that I actually still own? Why do I still own these games I dunno. 

I think I would still spend stupid money on some stuff if I could though - I was very close to trying to buy a copy of cosmic smash recently until I got talked down/told off by the missus. But I have the rom of it and probably play it twice a year, even though I do love it. 

Sorry, rambling. 

@kernow at least you're buying a genuinely niche collectable product in neo geo games. Mate of mine is trying to slowly do full ntsc PlayStation 1, the amount of shit he's got and will never play will never make sense to me. 

I have a bunch of retro consoles in the garage, most I've owned since they were current gen. I also have a couple of CRTs and a big 4:3 Plasma, none of which I have the space to keep set up or the time to use properly any more. I do keep a little 14" CRT in the house and I'll bring one retro console (with a handful of games) in from the garage at a time - but having to set it up and put it away each time I use it is a hassle.

But then so is setting up an emulator and sourcing roms (and making sure a pc controller is charged and connected). On the flip side - save states and action replay codes are handy to experience an old game without having to waste time grinding away at difficult sections. I tend to be the type to set up an emulator to play something specific, rather than download as many roms as I can. 

I don't really buy retro games any more. I have a good selection of old favourites that I never sold. Then there's quite a lot of games that I bought to play, but I haven't got around to yet. If something isn't fun, I'll sell it. I'm getting more ruthless as I get older/life gets busier. 

Currently set up at home: SNES Mini, PS3, Wii-U, PC (Steam + Emulators with some faffing). Also have a PSP knocking about for Everybody's Golf.

I love retro, and spent time on my modded Wii playing games I've always enjoyed. I've bought many many games over the years and having them all on one small device is great.  I can't imagine filling my house with hundreds of boxed games, and don't see the point of complete collections when so many terrible games get released. Collectors end up paying £200 for Mary-Kate and Ashley's Horse Riding, for absolutely no logical reason other than OCD.  Also, when you think about it, any branch of Cash Convertors has a better collection than you do.  

Also, I know many purists who insist on using old hardware , but it doesn't make sense to me. Having 10 old consoles set up at once might prove you're a hardcore collector, but let's be realistic about this...  If you use, say, an N64, surely your controller is a bit knackered these days? Flaky skin in the analogue mech? Even if the hardware is perfect, those murky colours, SD output, no HDMI. And if these collectors are such slaves to the original hardware, why do they spoil it by sticking an Everdrive cartridge in? As soon as you introduce something that's not genuine from the era, you may as well be using emulation. One box, everything you loved... 

4 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Also, I know many purists who insist on using old hardware , but it doesn't make sense to me. Having 10 old consoles set up at once might prove you're a hardcore collector, but let's be realistic about this...  If you use, say, an N64, surely your controller is a bit knackered these days? Flaky skin in the analogue mech? Even if the hardware is perfect, those murky colours, SD output, no HDMI. And if these collectors are such slaves to the original hardware, why do they spoil it by sticking an Everdrive cartridge in? As soon as you introduce something that's not genuine from the era, you may as well be using emulation. One box, everything you loved... 

Can't agree with this at all. A decent RGB console on a CRT with an Everdrive is heaven.

I collected a lot in my teens when carboots were full of old stuff so I got to try and a bit of everything and see what was good. Eventually I started only keeping games I liked before stopping altogether.
These days I like playing on original hardware, but only in 60hz and even then I'm very strict with what games and systems I keep now. I own a super famicom with 12 games because I believe the system is worth owning. I don't want to emulate the likes of ALTTP or Super Metroid. The games are timeless and I want to play them on my big CRT. That said some systems I'd rather emulate. The Sega Mega Drive has had so many collections made and the games are so readily available that I don't care for owning the hardware.

In short I'm a retro fan who only plays the games I really like in the form I believe to be their best. The Super Famicom hardware and controller are timeless, I'd rather play that over a SNES mini. Likewise the N64 is best played on the original hardware for me.

Always original hardware via RGB on a CRT nowadays.

Game collecting was always about hunting specific games and I stopped buying years ago after I completed my modest, mainly nostalgia-driven wish list.

My Mega Drive / Master System is the only permenent hook up but right now rediscovering the glory of the Dreamcast (with the Noctua fan mod and SD solution) is where it's at. What an amazing goddamned console. I feel a bit silly for neglecting it for the best part of 15 years or so.

I've changed views on this topic quite drastically in the last couple of years. No longer do I enjoy going on r/gamecollecting and seeing people posting their "hauls" of Goodwill games, or watching Youtube videos of people showing the pile of PS2 games they "scored" at the car boot sale at the weekend, I just seem to wonder what the point is these days.

I recently put all my PS2 games in a couple of big boxes and bought an ottoman to put all my Xbox 360, PS1 etc games in and it feels amazing. The wall of boring white PS2 spines that loomed over me is no more and I couldn't be happier. I still have a bookshelf full of NES and SNES games, but that's good because I love those consoles and games. I know that when I look at the shelf I'm now seeing stuff I actually like rather than things I bought just because I felt like I needed to get something.

I like buying retro games.  I don't very often buy games that I have no intention of playing though.  Notable exceptions are the Dai Gyaten Saiban games, and the Miles Edgeworth sequel, which only got Japanese releases, and some Mario games on which I have double or treble dipped.

Well I was born in 1975 and my first games machine was a Binatone so I grew up with the early stuff, Atari VCS (it wasn’t  called a 2600 until later on) and then the Spectrum, Vectrex, Amiga ect.

I’ve always been more of a hardware collector and yes I use CRT’s (I’ve got 5) which are hooked up to all of my systems. With games I’ve started to go down the SD card solution route with some of the systems.

As much as I was into the PlayStation 1 & 2 era, that still feels like fairly modern gaming to me so I tend to stick to the 2D stuff on earlier systems.

9 hours ago, kernow said:

I have a neo with 38 games that's my main machine

I have plenty of love and nostalgia for the Neo Geo and aim to pick up either an AES or MVS at some point (if Furrtek doesn't perfect his Neo Geo FPGA implementation first).. But buying any cartridge other than a proper, electronically sound flashcart won't ever be on my agenda.

Similarly with a PC Engine. If I ever own one of these again I'll be factoring in the cost of an SSDS3 all-in-one flashcart / ODE / RGB solution as part of the setup. My only Hucard will be a fake dummy to occupy the slot.

I've never been a collector, per se, I've only ever bought and kept games that I either want to play or have some form of nostalgic attachment for me. Mostly notably I bought all the SNES games I used to own and regret selling.

However, I'm now with @dumpster on this. I never used to like emulation on PC, for some reason. Still don't for console stuff, mostly. But having a Wii with a classic controller just feels right for 16 bit stuff. I have every SNES ROM there is, but have a policy of only copying across the games I actually want to play, to avoid that trap of spending forever scrolling through thousands of games and never actually playing any of them. 

So now I look at the physical copies of games and think "why am I keeping these?"

There's games from the 16 bit era that I feel have never been bettered, so I keep coming back to them. Stuff like Zombies (Ate My Neighbors), Rock and Roll Racing, Speedball II, Streets of Rage (all of them), the Final Fight series and so on, that just didn't survive the transition to 3D. 

I've streamlined most of my collection and only own the consoles that I originally owned. A lot of it comes down to nostalgia and to me buying a Mega Drive for example when it originally passed me by will provide an enjoyable weekend but little lasting desire to play. Also, I think you can cut pretty much any consoles games library to around 20 games. There are exceptions, but generally any more than that and you're in the realms of owning any old tat that you will never ever play.

I used to hoover a fair bit of shit from ebay, bootsales and 2nd hand stuff from GAME. I stopped a few years ago thankfully.

Like most people, I was starved of games as a kid. Picking up games easily was fulfilling the dreams I had as a kid and gave me a little buzz each time. Didn't play them much. Realising this made it easy to stop.

I sold all my SNES apart from a handful of games that actually get me moist when I hold them. I kept all my gameboy carts too, as they only cost about 50p each, they are great for a blast, take up no space, and there's something really satisfying about a shoebox jammed full of GB carts.

I'm still working on my arcade machine 'problem'... I've got a 4 cabs...  but I'm convinced I'm done now. I've no desire for more and have started thinking about moving a cab on. Late 80s, and early 90's arcade gaming with mates is what I enjoy most about retro gaming - so I'm set up for that now. No way I'm getting into collecting PCBs. I'll make do with a couple of boards and MAME.

Concentrated on modern gaming the last few months, my main retro collecting continues to be the Mega Drive, N64 and on rare occasions, Game Boy. Also very fond of DS (and to a lesser extent, 3DS). Master System I heart but I don't need games beyond what I owned as a kid....but that means I still need Golden Axe Warrior at some point. :(

Been wanting to get back into Dreamcast for years now, there used to be a seller on ebay who sold modded VGA systems, but he stopped a while back/before I could order one. Game Gear is a curiosity if only because of the price of entry is so low for the cartridges and is essentially a Master System+ system (with less room for pixels) with a bigger variety of games. But a properly modded GG seems to be over the roof to buy.

I've built up a decent little collection of all PAL retro console stuff, about 100 games in total. Nothing especially rare or valuable, just a solid little collection of games I had or played on other peoples machines back in the day spread across Megadrive, PS1, PS2, PSP and DS. Then I've got a NES mini and a SNES mini on top of that, systems I know mostly through emulation. I play a lot of modern old-school games, and usually have at least one old game on the go, I'm still buying the occasional Wii U virtual console game too.

I've got hold of a most of the low hanging fruit when it comes to games I'd like to play again so I'm probably done collecting retro stuff now, I just need easier ways to play them, so I'm eyeing up an Analogue SG and I've got my fingers crossed that the rumoured PS5 disc based backwards compatibility turns in to a reality. You can go down huge rabbit holes with this stuff, chasing the more obscure formats, only getting NTSC releases, chasing after dream games, buying modern clone hardware, scan converters, broadcast monitors etc. etc. but I don't have the mental energy for all that.

I used to think I'd never be nostalgic for PS1 era 3D, but turns out I love it now. It varies from game to game, plenty of them are hideous in the cold light of 2019, but anything with a decent frame rate that doesn't involve realistic humans really speaks to me now. I like super chunky 3D fighting game models too.

I've always had one foot in the past when it comes to gaming, going right back to being a kid where I was usually a generation behind the curve or coming in right at the end of a system's life span.

i dont hover up all the shit like some of the youtubers out there. But i do like to get systems that i missed out on. I usually buy a few must haves and then everdrive the rest including the really expensive ones.

Most of my collection came in the mid 2000s when prices were a lot nicer, but recently i might just pick up the odd retro item.

Having a pc engine love in atm :)

Nearly all it ntsc as well, with only the DC having mainly pal as they started really pushing 60hz

7 hours ago, kernow said:

Sell em innit 

Nah I still like playing them so it's nice to have them there, but I don't need them on display. I was thinking of getting one or two of those disc binder things to stick the PS2 games in.

I only focus on systems that I owned, so they have a sense of nostalgia for me, although I have also picked up a few consoles that I didn't own back "in the day" (the Megadrive and the Saturn, and only then because I had friends who owned them, so there was a bit of nostalgia for me).

The thing that I'm finding now though is that it's almost crippling having all of these old systems, hundreds of games and yet I've got a Switch which I should be playing a lot more on, especially as my 8 year old son loves it (he's tried to teach me Minecraft, but I think it's crap). I often get a feeling of having just wasted time when playing retro games with no real satisfaction. I'm not sure if that's just me, or if it's me trying to recreate the past when that's just impossible (or that most retro games are really designed for blasting for a few minutes).

I think another negative thing is that I think to myself "this is going to be great playing these with my son, showing him the games I played when I was young" when the reality is that most are shit compared to games now! It's a bit less so with Nintendo games, but I fired up a few Ultimate games on the Spectrum to show my son and he found them incredibly confusing - especially when using the keyboard! I think to myself "hmmm.. if I were him, would I rather play Super Mario Odyssey or Jet Pac??" However, he does love Gauntlet and Zombies Ate My Neighbours, so it's not all bad!

I think it might be time to do another trimming of the collection! 

I enjoy retro gaming on my crt, with decent RGB consoles, mostly Sega stuff but I enjoy PC Engine and Neo Geo too. I only buy what I want to actually play, wether it's games I had when I was younger, or stuff I missed out on before. I also enjoy emulators on the PC, mostly for arcade gaming, but I find it a happy medium being able to use emulation or the real deal. 

I still find it special to play on original hardware, with original controllers on a crt.

I do not have a problem with emulation or the everdrive...I think they're great fwiw.

I was born is 75, so was near the beginning of the video gaming.

I played the Atari as a mere child as my friend had older brothers, so they had one.

I have room for both modern gaming and retro, but, I prefer retro.

I own a whole host of mainstream console releases, the best thing I ever decided to do was, set one console up at a time, not only does it not interfere with my ocd, I just play what's set up, either with a main game, or a few releases. When I'm done for a bit, I pop that one away and set another up.

I also know what to look for in a retro game that I'll enjoy. The magnificent internet!

I do take chances, but for what I ideally want to play, I can just buy the original game for original system, if it's too expensive, cart only...

I'm not a snob in anyway, and I guess this goes without saying, but it really is horses for courses.

We can't all see the same vision by default...I might be talking scanlines here ;)

I was born in the 80's, my first console was a Master System, I adored games all my life and worked in the industry for around a decade so it's fair to say I've played everything I ever want.

Sold my collection back in the late 2000's as I found my life was consumed by it all. I've been free of the bug for over 10 years now but still class myself as a gamer. I have a real fondness for retro games but the reality does not always align with my own memory. Over the years, I've frequently thought I'll love to revisit an old game and go to buy the system, games, controllers and although I get a real rush of re-playing the games I want, it's more often than not a brief love affair. Not because the game is now suddenly shit, but I know what the experience is, I know how to complete the game off the top of my head, how the same circuit feels, how the same cut scene is still great. The realisation that I'm not getting the same thrill has been had over and over again, I'm pretty good now at ignoring the pangs to play it again.

With a Wife, job, commitments and only a finite amount of cash, I'm quite happy now playing a handful of modern games a year and getting new experiences in what free time I have. When I do want to play an old game like Sega Rally and buying a Saturn, listening to the music and reading up on it is normally enough To get my nostalgia fix then let the desire fade away. The only exception to this is when an old game gets ported to a modern platform, then I can enjoy it, that's probably my only source of retro gaming now.

So I think it's fair to say, my retro gaming is done on modern ports of old games, I no longer have a retro collection to ogle over. And in some ways, I'm very happy with that.

*Still doesn't change my yearly desire to buy a Japanese Saturn in white with Sega Rally* :wub:

Pi3 and pc all the way for me now. I had a nice collection for a while, Dreamcast,  3do, cd32, snes, megadrive etc etc but the space they took up and the frequency of which I used them started to annoy me. 

No regrets about passing it on to others who appreciate it. But for me it's far easier to fire up an emulator. 

Don't know TBH just love gaming. I think gaming goes in cycles anyway and old concepts keep coming back over again just with sometimes prettier graphics. Recently picked up New Super Mario Bros Wii and it feels as fresh now as it did 10 years ago when it was released. 

So I just want to play and experience content irrespective of how old it is I just see it all as works of art that you can appreciate anytime...

Around 15 years ago I worked in a Gamestation and would hoover up anything retro we'd have traded in, plus I'd occasionally buy the Japanese copies of some of my favourite Megadrive games purely because I much preferred the box art. I built up a fairly decent collection of 16-bit era stuff, but sold it a few years ago to a gentleman on this very forum. It was just getting a bit too much for me.

These days, I still have an original Japanese Mega Drive (I remember lusting after one after seeing photos in C+VG in 89/90 and desperately wanting one), a Super Famicom and a backlit-modded original GBA, all with flash cartridges (an Everdrive X7 for the Mega Drive, an SD2SNES for the SFC and an Everdrive X5 for the GBA). I much prefer playing on original hardware than emulation... I'm not fully sure I could even really tell you why. I guess it's just knowing you're getting the authentic experience. I have no such qualms about using the flash cartridges though, clearly. I did, until very recently, have a 21-inch CRT PVM screen for all this, but it was a pain in the arse having this massive box taking up space in my little flat, so sold it on. In it's place I bought a OSSC upscaler, but I'm a bit disappointed with it to be honest. I've since bought an Analogue Super NT and have an Analogue Mega SG on pre-order. The Super NT is a beautiful bit of kit, so the Mega SG was a no-brainer. I imagine I'll still keep my original consoles though.

Sometimes I look at people on here with the Neo Geo collections and marvel at how they can spend so much money on retro gaming, and then I look at all the shit I've bought over the years! :lol:

I'm not a collector - retro gaming for me is about playing either games I loved from the past, or games I missed out on because as a kid, you don't have the luxury of owning all the systems and having the money to buy everything.

When it comes to emulation, I opt for some degree of authenticity of input if I can. That means playing SNES games on either a modded Wii or a SNES Mini rather than on a PC with an Xbox One pad, because the SNES pad I get to use adds a lot to the charm. I'll play my PS1 games on the PS3, taking advantage of the fact that it's already hooked up and I get a nice wireless Dual Shock 3 to use that still feels much like I remember the first Dual Shock being.

For display, I like things to be pixel perfect. No filters other than perhaps a CRT one if I think it looks appealing. That goes for both pixel art and 3D graphics - I'm fascinated by the low-poly, low-resolution stuff pumped out by the PS1 or N64 and would much rather play them like that than have a layer of smoothing or high resolution graphics that jar with the low resolution textures.

I'm the kind that doesn't really mind how people enjoy their gaming - retro or otherwise.

Expanding on this many years ago I guess I kinda viewed more "casual" gamers (whatever that means) as in a separate group to "gamers" or self proclaimed "hardcore gamers" but these labels are meaningless.

I was, and still am, heavily into 16bit stuff in particular and used to almost laugh at the Atari fans that were getting excitied over discovering a ROM that was a single byte different to another version. 

Previously I'd have been very much in the camp of "original hardware, Japanese version etc etc" but over recent years I've come to realise that as long as people enjoy gaming in all it's many forms then that is all that counts.

if someone wants to go emulator only or someone wants a targeted, focussed collection of a single machine/developer/series/genre or someone wants to amass a huge library of games it is entirely their call.

While I was lucky enough to pick up most/all of the systems and games I wanted at decent prices and hang on to most of them and have the luxury of being able to dip into that collection as I see fit I completely appreciate that for someone else a little emulation station with a set of roms suits their preferred approach

Likewise it is easy to assume or judge other gamers and say "Why are they trying to get a complete collection - there are tons of shovelware games?" But there are tons of reasons people might do this.

One of which is the thrill of the chase. The completionist tendencies. The exhilaration of finding the rarest titles. The challenge. In a sense ANYONE can do this if they have enough money and just pay over the odds on EBay etc but many people do this as a "project" over many years. Many savour the experience of tracking down the games and meeting the people and trading for them etc. Many of these Completionists who have done this will be able to tell you exactly how they came about each game in their collection.

Equally it is hard to put a firm "value" on how much enjoyment someone might get from a collection that in the

face of it is of little "value" to an outside looking in. For example if I saw someone with a complete collection of FIFA games I'd immediately think "what on Earth?" But then if they had extracted thousands of hours of enjoyment out of each release and were viewing them as A) worthless in terms of sell on price B) a kind of time capsule of footballers/snapshot of world football at each release C) maybe considering using it to create a blog charting the evolution of the football game or to chart players careers etc then there is a lot more going on than first assumed.

Also some particular machines/games/series may have a particularly strong emotional resonance with someone. It may be a title that takes them back to a simpler time in their lives or that they may have played with a lost loved one.

Essentially as long as people play and/or enjoy a game in their collection  - whether retro or modern or whether on original hardware/clone hardware or emulation who am I to judge?

The only ones I struggle to understand are the ones that buy anything older than current gen for the sake of the numbers game to amass a collection they don't enjoy and can't explain why they do it but I've long suspected that part of this is just a natural part of our Hunter/Gatherer evolution.

TL:DR - I like games and enjoy playing & hope other people do too in whatever format they choose