The explanation to the charity issue is that the contestants are playing the game to win the money.  If the game didn't exist there would be no prizes.  The game exists and so some people do get prizes.  Not everyone though.  That's surely how the Chasers justify it to themselves although I agree it really taints the celebrity version when the Chaser punches the air and smugly wins, denying the orphanage a new roof.

The Chase isn't rigged - there are two sets of questions and the team get to pick one.  They can pick the wrong one and get hard questions.  But the main thing with the Chase is what's been covered above - the contestants have more obstacles than the Chaser in the final round.  The question is asked, one buzzes in, the voice says "Billy!" and then they are allowed to answer.  It adds half a second to every answer.  This is why it's so important to get a full team back.  For every team member that makes it to the final Chase, they get one extra step before they start.  4 back means 4 steps, which would take about 15 - 20 seconds to get by asking questions.

The Chase is the latest in a long line of TV game shows which I believe started with 3-2-1, which in my opinion is one of the most brilliant bits of TV from the 1970s.  The idea is that the TV show gets to appear as generous as possible without giving anything away.  3-2-1 had a wide array of prizes which became more extravagant as the series went on, but every episode would involve a reveal of 5 major prizes (holiday, car etc) but only one was actually won, and sometimes it was a bin.  Other shows took from this, for example, in Bullseye you can see in the later series that Bully's Gamble risks losing everything where earlier series the money they won at the start is safe no matter what.  The Chase builds on this, creating a gameplay mechanic where you get drawn in by the player's bravery when they go for the big money, but even if they get that in the bank there's a strong chance they won't actually take it home.  

The reason 3-2-1 is so great is because they once gave a racing greyhound as a prize. 

• Upvote 1
15 minutes ago, SeanR said:

Uh... 

There's no way to make sure 2 sets of questions are exactly the same difficulty, but the contestants get to choose one and the Chaser gets the other.   So it's hardly rigged.

By the way, what is it with The Chase and product placement?  I assume someone's paying for all those questions about brands.  If you've never noticed it before, listen out for it.  Every episode has about 5 questions like, "What face cream is advertised as "The best face cream in Europe"

2 hours ago, Nathan Wind said:

You should apply to be an egghead, Sean. You’ve got an answer for everything.

they're the worst... shit prize money (thanks to the unique way the BBC is funded), and the egg heads consistently get easier questions. From what I've seen.

also: Only connect connection walls have been getting easier... :coffee:

On 18/02/2019 at 09:52, Stejay said:

No shame for your appearance. Easy to forget something simple in that instance. You still got that Joypod plug in, and already had your mega 1 vs 100 win under your belt.

Didn’t you make onto another TV quiz show afterwards?

Also, did you *ever* hear back from the prison?

I was also on Tipping Point, won just over £3000 - so that was pretty awesome!

And no, never heard back from the prison... 

• Upvote 4
4 hours ago, michael said:

I was also on Tipping Point, won just over £3000 - so that was pretty awesome!

And no, never heard back from the prison... 

Amazing, well done. And looks like not hearing from them worked out for the best. I’d love a job that was also my hobby!

9 hours ago, SeanR said:

and the egg heads consistently get easier questions. From what I've seen.

Now that the episode I was on has aired, I guarantee that most who have watched it think the Eggheads got easier questions than our team. I could only imagine the furore if the question they cut stayed in, as well! Seriously, they were asked, in Sudden Death, "What blue cartoon characters are known in their homeland as Der Smumpf?"

3 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Now that the episode I was on has aired, I guarantee that most who have watched it think the Eggheads got easier questions than our team. I could only imagine the furore if the question they cut stayed in, as well! Seriously, they were asked, in Sudden Death, "What blue cartoon characters are known in their homeland as Der Smumpf?"

Well, that’s just cheeky, lee...

11 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Isn't the prize money given out in Eggheads always the same in the long run, though?

12 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

Any idea why it was cut?

We did well, there were 4 Sudden Death questions in the final round. So, presumably for time reasons, although we all thought at the time that it was a ridiculously easy question to ask, and that included Lisa who was in the box having lost her round. Our corresponding question was something to do with parts per million, I don't actually remember now as it was over a year ago we recorded it!

On 19/02/2019 at 20:24, dumpster said:

the contestants get to choose one and the Chaser gets the other.   So it's hardly rigged.

I could rig that rather easily.

Pick up the same set of questions regardless of what the contestant says.

Have questions for both chaser or contestant on the same card and read the appropriate one.

Have two questions on each card, one easy, one hard, and switch between them depending the producer's instructions (which can also heighten the drama)

I'm not saying the game is rigged. I don't think it is. But the fact that the contestants get to pick a set of questions is a bit of a weak argument without any way to prove the questions are fixed.

• 3 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Yeah I have watched all 3 so far and I’m enjoying the format.  

When was it filmed does anybody know?  As no way they are making shows with studio audiences like that now.  Which begs the question what are they going to do once they run out of pre-recorded stuff to show on TV?  Endless repeats I guess.

I always find the scorn that anyone who takes the lower offer on the normal Chase gets to be a bit annoying. Even a minus offer is worth it as the value you're buying of having an additional person in the final is going to be much more than a couple of grand. It's at its core a team game but seldom does anyone play it that way. It's interesting too how the seeds of success or failure are sewn from that initial cash builder which is presented as a low-pressure get-us-started exercise. If everyone banks £7,000+ at that point there's no need to gamble on higher offers and from there you're in a much stronger position to set a decent target for the quizzer. The teams tend to work very individually so I can only imagine they don't get long beforehand to discuss tactics.

Mark The Beast is the best Chaser at pointing out the value in going for the lower offers.  Like you say it is a team game and that extra point plus knowledge can make all the difference in the Final Chase.  Too many teams don’t seem to realise that winning for example a quarter of 18 grand is far better than losing a quarter or third of 21 grand.