rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy

On 14/04/2019 at 09:20, Unofficial Who said:

Maybe if it's not worth commenting in response it's not worth the neg?

Oh if only this philosophy applied on this forum. If only.

4 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I just wish Lucas had forgotten about the Han, and Leia bants in ESB, and given us a lot more screen time of this Guy scolding Han for being a wise ass:

MV5BNjY1NGVlNjUtYjBiZC00NTZiLThmNDUtN2Ux  

And this Guy,  having a cute adventure whilst teaching us about the economics of carbon mineral exports:

ugnaught_999d7ac4.jpeg?region=0,0,1560,8

Could have told the entire saga from their behind-the-scenes perspective.

‘Rinsteadbadge and Goldugnaught’ if you will.

• Upvote 1

On 11/05/2019 at 06:45, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Looks like this is being quietly put out to pasture:

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-trilogy-rian-johnson-cancelled-rumors/

Was always going to happen based on his relationship with the fans that hated his film. Just wasn’t good business for Disney.

Edited topic title to reflect the news. Thanks again.

On 11/05/2019 at 07:57, John Edward Gammell said:

Oh, dear.

What will you find time to whinge about, now?

He can switch from “whinging” (or thoughtful constructive criticism as others would call it) to celebrating.

So there’s that.

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, bridger said:

Repeated thoughtful constructive criticism about something that he’s adamant he cares nothing about anymore. 

He and the majority of fans care deeply about the legacy and tone of the franchise.

That a few of us (myself included) enjoyed Rian’s take is neither here nor there, a reality vindicated by Disney dumping Rian’s trilogy.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

Something I’ve always found naive about criticism of TLJ & the handling of the new trilogy is the presumption that JJ ever actually wanted to do the whole trilogy, or even more than one instalment to begin with. Fanboys always seem to presume that it’s the dream of any filmmaker to work on their favourites franchises, when in reality it’s their dream and most filmmakers would rather be doing their own stuff if they could get it made.

I know JJ is on the record of having grown up with Star Wars but that doesn’t mean he ever intended to give up almost a decade of his career to it. His interviews around the time of TFA’s release always came across as very non-committal to me.

Isn’t a frequent criticism of J.J. that he never finishes anything and just leaves his mystery boxes for others to be solved? The only sequel he’s done as Into Darkness, which just reset all the character arcs and redid the ones from the first movie rather than build on anything.

I haven't seen any criticisms that he was always planned to do all of them, the complaint has always been playing a game of directorial telephone with what should have been a cohesive and planned out trilogy.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Isn’t a frequent criticism of J.J. that he never finishes anything and just leaves his mystery boxes for others to be solved? The only sequel he’s done as Into Darkness, which just reset all the character arcs and redid the ones from the first movie.

And was rubbish compared to the first film.

I still don't buy that Johnson was just 'allowed' to do whatever he wanted with the story and, for the people that don't like what happens in TLJ, the blame lies with him as if it was being overseen by Kennedy and Disney and signed off, etc.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Something I’ve always found naive about criticism of TLJ & the handling of the new trilogy is the presumption that JJ ever actually wanted to do the whole trilogy, or even more than one instalment to begin with. Fanboys always seem to presume that it’s the dream of any filmmaker to work on their favourites franchises, when in reality it’s their dream and most filmmakers would rather be doing their own stuff if they could get it made.

I know JJ is on the record of having grown up with Star Wars but that doesn’t mean he ever intended to give up almost a decade of his career to it. His interviews around the time of TFA’s release always came across as very non-committal to me.

Someone would be prepared to spend 10 years on it though. And if you have the whole trilogy, potentially you film them back to back a la Lord of the Rings and its not 10 years. 

The main criticism was about wanting a consistent vision, rather than consistent JJ. 

9 hours ago, CarloOos said:

Something I’ve always found naive about criticism of TLJ & the handling of the new trilogy is the presumption that JJ ever actually wanted to do the whole trilogy, or even more than one instalment to begin with.

I think you are entirely missing the point. It's not that JJ should have done them all - just that the trilogy should have been planned out (by Disney, JJ, anyone) ahead of filming. Rather than just letting each film maker do whatever they wanted with their instalment. Its led to a messy, incohesive narrative - that yes has disappointed a large number of fans.  

Whilst it sounds good on paper, this film maker led approach hasn't worked for DC (which had the same idea) and didn't work for SW either. Hence the slow down and rethink.

• Upvote 5

8 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Lucas spent 10 years plus on the prequels. Look where that got him.

3 products all better than TLJ? :coffee:

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 11
  • Empathy 1

On 10/05/2019 at 21:45, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Looks like this is being quietly put out to pasture:

https://movieweb.com/star-wars-trilogy-rian-johnson-cancelled-rumors/

Was always going to happen based on his relationship with the fans that hated his film. Just wasn’t good business for Disney.

Awesome news.

Keep this guy away from starwars

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

He should make his own trilogy called Space Wars. It can be full of space politics and Super Space Police with their beam sabres can protect the Galaxy from the evil Galactic Federation.

Episode One can be called Space Wars: Rear Windu. 

57 minutes ago, probotector said:

Star Wars is in a really fucked up place I think.

I would take Rian over the D&D.

I think Disney has decided that to listen to the fans. They put out the word that one trilogy would go ahead but didn’t name which it would be.

Most if the vocal fan reaction was “yes! Rian is cancelled!” Obviously Disney would look at that reaction and decided on green lighting the more popular option.

Star Wars has survived Caravan of Courage and it’s so vast that you can pick and chose what you want in your own personal cannon now. If the D and D trilogy is rubbish then we can just ignore it. It’s not like we have to watch it through gritted teeth.

I find "Yes, Riain's trilogy cancelled. new trilogy will be good now" to be such utter bullshit.

None of these films exist yet. They might ALL be good, bad, indifferent.

The only man to understand the feel of the original Star Wars was Gennedy Tartovsky but nobody advocates him getting a shot at the live action films. Such nonsense.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, Unofficial Who said:

I think Disney has decided that to listen to the fans. They put out the word that one trilogy would go ahead but didn’t name which it would be.

Most if the vocal fan reaction was “yes! Rian is cancelled!” Obviously Disney would look at that reaction and decided on green lighting the more popular option.

If they are, they're fucking idiots. Fans are morons.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 2

They should have got GRRM to write the next starwars not the two hacks who have got famous off his work and got exposed as soon as they actually had to write their own material!

• Upvote 4

When Kathleen Kennedy last spoke in public about the future of Star Wars, she heavily hinted they were planning to carry on the mainline series with the current characters that were introduced over the last few years.

Given the available release dates, the actors of the current films will be way older if they are going to be making more of those too at some point in the far future. 2028 at the earliest, unless they plan to attempt to make it a multiple films per year release schedule in the future again and the gap is being used to prepare the foundations of a true SWCU...

Rian Johnson has made some very vague comments that seem to suggest he's still working on Star Wars things. Unfortunately there's not much to go on because the article only quotes his response; it might have been useful to include the interviewer's question for context, to see whether they specifically mentioned a trilogy of films:

https://observer.com/2019/08/star-wars-rian-johnson-trilogy-knives-out-tiff/

“I think that the fun and challenging part of it is to dive in, figure out what’s exciting and then figure out what it’s going to be,” he said. “We’re doing something that steps beyond the legacy characters. What does that look like? To me, the blue sky element of it is what was most striking about it. I know the way that I’m coming at it and what’s fun about it for everyone in Lucasfilm is figuring out, ‘what’s the next step?’ It really makes you think and figure out what the essence of Star Wars is for me and what that will look like moving forward.”

Also an update on the other Star Wars trilogy by Dungeons & Dragons (sorry, but that's how I read it every time they're referred to as "D&D"). It's being reported that their deal has been altered; pray no-one alters it any further:

http://collider.com/star-wars-new-trilogy-update/

Sources say the Thrones pair is writing a treatment for a Star Wars trilogy and is committed to penning at least one of the films (the original deal was to write all three). It’s unclear if the duo, who also have another feature for Fox/Disney carved out, will do more than just write for Star Wars.

• Upvote 3