rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Unofficial Who

Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy

His ambition obviously outweighs his talent.

...sorry this line from Stoner to Ross in moto gp after Rossi's botched overtake took them both out always tickles me. carry on

• Upvote 3

On 16/02/2019 at 19:35, Loik V credern said:

His ambition obviously outweighs his talent.

...sorry this line from Stoner to Ross in moto gp after Rossi's botched overtake took them both out always tickles me. carry on

Hopefully he doesn’t choke on his ambition

• Upvote 1

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a trilogy about the broom kid from the end of TLJ.

• Empathy 1

33 minutes ago, Purin said:

It wouldn't surprise me at all if this is a trilogy about the broom kid from the end of TLJ.

He was just there to illustrate that anybody can be a hero, it's not due to birthright.

Clearly nobody pays attention to the available information, it's all new characters in a completely different part of the galaxy, so no legacy bullshit for people to whine about not being given its due respect:

As writer-director of The Last Jedi, Johnson conceived and realized a powerful film of which Lucasfilm and Disney are immensely proud. In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored.

I think one of the biggest problems Star Wars has is that, despite it supposedly being a "universe", it keeps on having to reference characters, lore or places from the main films  making it feel incredibly small.

The prequels had to bring in C3P0, R2D2, Jabba The Hut, Boba Fett and other characters from the original trilogy, even though there was no need for them to be in it.

The sequels had to bring in Han Solo, Leia and even Luke Skywalker - even though they're superfluous and don't actually contribute much to the storyline at all.  (Never mind bringing back the Millennium Falcon).

The spin offs had to be about events discussed in the main films, even though we either already knew what happened or likely didn't care (as in the case of Solo). 

Even The Mandalorian has to fill in the space between Return of The Jedi and The Force Awakens and I'm pretty certain it will have plenty of cameos/references to the main films, despite it being set in the "far reaches of the galaxy". 

So despite Star Wars being this huge galaxy, it ends up feeling like it's the same dozen or so people that the whole story is about. The difference between Star Wars and Marvel is that while there might be a few key Marvel characters, they can create whole storylines that have almost nothing to do with the rest of the "universe". Until Disney (or whoever) start developing characters and storylines that have practically nothing to do with the main films, it's going to be the same old pandering shite.

Maybe Rian Johnson will be given the opportunity to do that, but I somehow doubt it. Lord and Miller tried to do something different with Solo and look what happened to them... 

• Upvote 2

Oh and just incase people were hoping that this wasn't just Disney trying to milk their "IP" and really do care about quality control, here's a list of upcoming Disney+ exclusive films and TV series...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disney%2B

Post-production

Lady and the Tramp[32]

Magic Camp[33]

Noelle[33]

Stargirl[34][35]

Timmy Failure[33]

Filming

Togo[32][36]

In development

29 Dates[37]

3 Men and a Baby[33]

Don Quixote[38]

Father of the Bride[39]

Flora & Ulysses[40]

The Grimm Legacy[41]

Honey, I Shrunk the Kids[39]

The Paper Magician[42]

The Parent Trap[39]

Peter Pan[43]

Sister Act 3[44]

The Sword in the Stone[45]

Title

Ordered

Diary of a Female President[46]

High Fidelity[32]

High School Musical: The Musical[32]

Ink & Paint[47]

The Mandalorian[32]

Star Wars: The Clone Wars (season 7)[48]

Untitled Rogue Oneprequel series[32]

In development

The Vision and Scarlet Witch[32][49]

Muppets Live Another Day[39][50]

Untitled ABC Studiosdocuseries[47]

Untitled live-action Falconand Winter Soldierlimited series[32]

Loki[32]

Untitled Mighty Ducksseries[51]

Untitled Monsters, Inc. series[52]

Untitled Walt Disney Imagineeringdocuseries[18]

Can't wait to see the remakes of The Lady and The Tramp, 3 Men and a Baby, Father of the Bride, Honey I Shrunk The Kids, The Parent Trap (again!), Peter Pan, The Sword and The Stone and High Fidelity. 

46 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Until Disney (or whoever) start developing characters and storylines that have practically nothing to do with the main films, it's going to be the same old pandering shite.

Maybe Rian Johnson will be given the opportunity to do that, but I somehow doubt it. Lord and Miller tried to do something different with Solo and look what happened to them... 

The Lord and Miller situation seemed to amount to two major things, tone and the fact they took fucking ages to get shit done, which pissed off Kathleen Kennedy.

I think Disney realised a while ago they couldn't just keep on doing stuff set in the Skywalkerverse, hence them hiring the GoT creatives to do some new stuff and letting Rian Johnson do the same. They still have plans for product set in the Skywalkerverse for old people so maybe they'll get to have their cake and eat it too. Given the series they gave up to go work on Star Wars, I would expect their take on the Star Wars universe to lean more adult:

“David and Dan are some of the best storytellers working today,” said Kathleen Kennedy, president of Lucasfilm. “Their command of complex characters, depth of story and richness of mythology will break new ground and boldly push Star Wars in ways I find incredibly exciting.”

4 hours ago, mushashi said:

The Lord and Miller situation seemed to amount to two major things, tone and the fact they took fucking ages to get shit done, which pissed off Kathleen Kennedy.

Yes but Solo is absolutely iredeemably fucking shit and killed their brand plan stone dead for the other mooted spin offs, so frankly she got that 100% wrong on both fronts

the skill of a great producer is to manage talent. She didn’t.

• Upvote 6

19 hours ago, linkster said:

Yes but Solo is absolutely iredeemably fucking shit

But the real fans love it to death... ;)  so not everybody agrees on that one.

They've always seemed a bit cautious with their long range planning past the need to do this immediate Skywalker saga trilogy as all the other spin-offs were just rumoured and never were officially announced to be in a state of being filmed aside from an initial announced trilogy of spin-offs of which they've only actually made two, both with the initial director getting replaced too, the only film so far that has gone smoothly in production is the one hated by the fans ;)

Bob Iger has publicly taken the blame for pushing them to attempt to MCU it out of the door:

Q: Many believe Disney should pump the breaks and not put out a Star Wars movie each year.

Bob Iger: I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not going to make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're going to start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're going to be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that.

Probably the wrong thread, but when can we expect to see a trailer for Episode IX? When was the first trailer for VIII released?

At this point in time you’d have to imagine that they’re going to wait for Star Wars Celebration which is 11th - 15th April. 

So my money is 11th April and anything sooner will be a huge bonus. 

They only recently announced completion of initial filming, I don't think the film is in any state to be trailered, unless people expect them to work the VFX staff to death to polish up some scenes just to satisfy their inner hype beast.

55 minutes ago, JPL said:

Probably the wrong thread, but when can we expect to see a trailer for Episode IX? When was the first trailer for VIII released?

The Force Awakens - teaser November 2014, second teaser April 2015

Rogue One - teaser April 2016, trailer October 2016

The Last Jedi - teaser April 2017, trailer October 2017

Whoever runs the official YouTube account's trailers playlist has forgotten to add the ones for Solo, but the first one only came out in February last year, just over three months before the film's release.

3 hours ago, mushashi said:

Bob Iger: I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast.

Too fast, too intense ??

6 hours ago, mushashi said:

Bob Iger: I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made — I take the blame — was a little too much, too fast.

There's another word for those decisions.

Greed.

• Empathy 1

Sigh. (Or cheers if you hated Last jedi.)

https://www.polygon.com/2019/4/12/18307669/star-wars-episode-9-movies-series-hiatus

Star Wars movies to go on ‘hiatus’ after Episode IX

Bob Iger says the mega-franchise needs a rest after the Skywalker Saga

Though the November launch of the Disney Plus streaming service will see an aggressive push by the Walt Disney Company to bring the Star Wars franchise to the small screen in live action, with The Mandalorian and Rogue One spinoff, CEO Bob Iger signaled this week that the movies are on hold for the foreseeable future.

After the Thursday announcement of Disney Plus, Iger told Bloomberg Television that there were no specific plans for movies after Star Wars: Episode IX, though a number of unannounced films were in development.

“We will take a pause, some time, and reset,” he said, “because the Skywalker saga comes to an end with this ninth movie. There will be other Star Wars movies, but there will be a bit of a hiatus.”

That's that cancelled then.

Me

giphy.gif

True fans

giphy.gif?cid=790b76115cb1dc21596a427a45

I didn’t realise this was the Skywalker saga. I thought the whole point was this was about the young new lot and it was their story. 

They’ve done an awful job if this is still supposed to be the story of Luke and Leia and probably should have stopped with the characters with Ep 6. 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

31 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

They’ve done an awful job if this is still supposed to be the story of Luke and Leia and probably should have stopped with the characters with Ep 6. 

Or at least have a basic roadmap of where the story was going after it. They didn't.

Rogue One should have been first out of the gate and that would have given them time to get a sense of what the arcs were. I liked the new trailer, but Abrams said he was under time constraints again when he was brought in to deliver this.

It’s brilliant news. It means they actually realise they’ve not reached the quality expected for a lot of people and I think it’s sensible of them to get a compelling story arc in place before going again. Making it up as you go might have worked for George Lucas, but he still had a singular vision, despite his tweaking of the storyline as he went. It absolutely hasn’t worked for this trilogy though, where we’ve had directors pulling in totally opposite directions.

It’s not about hating The Last Jedi, well it certainly isn’t for me - although I wish I’d have liked it, it’s more about them being sensible with the franchise’s future and that’s a good thing.

• Upvote 3

It’s definitely a Skywalker family saga, but to quote Luke “This won’t end how you think it will.” That’s because JJ learned from how Game of Thrones did Cersei and Jamie’s relationship so well, so clearly Rey is to be retconned as Luke & Leia’s incest baby, JoffRey if you will.

• Upvote 3

It was always beyond stupid to not have an idea where your story is going. Considering the previous 6 films, the amount of time that's past, the fact that it's the Star Wars franchise and most puzzlingly, the corporate behomoth that is Disney.. it's just bewildering. In hindsight I think at least finding out from Lucas how he wanted to end the Skywalker story, would have been a good idea. And then created a journey towards that. Kinda like has happened with GOT.

I doubt they'll go on too much of an hiatus either, gotta wring that franchise for all it's worth!

• Upvote 1