rllmuk
Unofficial Who

Rian Johnson Star Wars trilogy (probably downgraded to Disney Plus featurette)

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  He doesn't understand Star Wars or how the main series movies are constructed.  He injected too much of himself into it.  Abrams didn't.  He didn't splash lens flair everywhere and tried to make VII flow with the others.  Johnson tried to be too smart arsed and took me right out of the film.  The opening battle with the stuff with Rose's sister belonged in a different movie.  It was too showy and felt out of place in a main series Star Wars movie.  Much of Rogue One was like this too.  It was fine there but didn't fit the pacing style of the main series.

This really nails it. There's a tone and style and you're eight episodes in. If you want to subvert expectations, see how The Empire Strikes Back did that to much greater effect while being consistent .The Last Jedi was just sloppily written and felt all over the place tonally. It came off as a feature-length Yoda Vodafone commercial.

To be fair, it's the same as the prequels, except they had a story worth telling but were just badly written and acted. (acting is generally better in the sequel trilogy, bar Daisy Ridley)

To the topic, I'm fine with him having a trilogy. Probably not something I'd want to watch, but wouldn't that be the better time to start changing the tone, etc though?

22 minutes ago, Steven said:

To be fair, it's the same as the prequels

It isn't.  Say what you will about them but Lucas did try to have some semblance of stylistic similarity. Not always successfully but there were no grandstanding, Chris Nolan style moments like the one I mentioned earlier.

• Upvote 1

I really meant to just say they were poorly written and acted (how much of that came down to CG, I don't know). I agree they retained the style of what had come before to a degree. When saying it was the same, I was implying they'd gone off course.

Ryan Johnson loves to troll his haters on Twitter. And I think this is a good example of that.

He will have been paid by Disney to development treatments/scripts pre TLJ - which is what he id doing. Will Disney be investing hundreds of millions in the guy that arguably did more damage to the SW brand and fanbase than anyone else? Unlikely. It would be really bad business more than anything else.

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Ryan Johnson loves to troll his haters on Twitter. And I think this is a good example of that.

He will have been paid by Disney to development treatments/scripts pre TLJ - which is what he id doing. Will Disney be investing hundreds of millions in the guy that arguably did more damage to the SW brand and fanbase than anyone else? Unlikely. It would be really bad business more than anything else.

Cheers, I thought this was the case.

Edit: I think that giving him his own trilogy off to the side would please real fans and (appararently) non-fans like myself but what you say above makes sense.

Edited by Unofficial Who

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Didn’t they already do that when they paid him $6Bn, or however much it was? I didn’t think Lucas was supposed to have any more involvement in Star Wars going forwards?

• Upvote 2

Star Wars fans continue to be hilariously precious.

Become a Star Trek fan, then you will learn to accept pain.

Also Rian Johnson didn't "ruin" Star Wars. He simply directed a flawed experiment. Star Wars has always been layered with rivers of liquid shit ever since people started penning the first novels.

You'll always have your original (doctored) trilogy; if you like you can never watch a Star Wars film again. I mean, it's optional right? There are other films.

• Upvote 7

I'm interested to know if this trilogy will be running at the same time as the Game of Thrones guys trilogy? Or will they only start one after the other has finished?

Having two separate trilogies running at the same time might confuse some. 

2 hours ago, Benny said:

Star Wars fans continue to be hilariously precious.

Become a Star Trek fan, then you will learn to accept pain.

Also Rian Johnson didn't "ruin" Star Wars. He simply directed a flawed experiment. Star Wars has always been layered with rivers of liquid shit ever since people started penning the first novels.

You'll always have your original (doctored) trilogy; if you like you can never watch a Star Wars film again. I mean, it's optional right? There are other films.

NO BENNY, he killed their childhoods. He's a murderer of childhoods.

13 hours ago, Steven said:

I really meant to just say they were poorly written and acted.

Lucas bit off more than he could chew.  He had thumbed his nose at the studios and the Director's Guild so was stuck with directing them himself.  He always admitted that he wasn't interested in directing actors.  His approach with the prequels seems to have been "Stand there, say this and fuck off".  Watching the behind the scenes docs he seems more interested in making sure Yoda's ears move a certain way than dealing with actors or rewriting the script.  The part where he has Ben Burtt move actors a smidge to the left or right in the edit suite also indicates that the "Stand there, say this" style was deliberate so that he could move the actors around like bits of CGI in editing.  

I'm sure he has said he always thought of himself as an editor and that's what he was happiest doing.

13 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

I haven't cross-referenced your personal take on his Star Wars film, but I'm thinking it wasn't positive ;)

This reads as rather fanboyish yearning, rather than anything grounded in reality, much like the campaign to oust Kathleen Kennedy.

It's interesting to note that the person Star Wars fans probably hold in even greater contempt seemed more positive on Rian Johnson's take on his baby than The Force Rehashed.

Creator of the franchise George Lucas, who wasn't involved with the film's production, described The Last Jedi as "beautifully made" shortly after its release.[145][146] His reaction to Star Wars: The Force Awakens was generally more negative.[147][148]

5 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Lucas bit off more than he could chew.  He had thumbed his nose at the studios and the Director's Guild so was stuck with directing them himself.  He always admitted that he wasn't interested in directing actors.  His approach with the prequels seems to have been "Stand there, say this and fuck off".  Watching the behind the scenes docs he seems more interested in making sure Yoda's ears move a certain way than dealing with actors or rewriting the script.  The part where he has Ben Burtt move actors a smidge to the left or right in the edit suite also indicates that the "Stand there, say this" style was deliberate so that he could move the actors around like bits of CGI in editing.  

I'm sure he has said he always thought of himself as an editor and that's what he was happiest doing.

Yeah, I watched that doc. You can tell through a lot of actors' anecdotes since the films that they found doing them less than engaging. Terence Stamp has said some pretty funny things about his experience.