dumpster

What do trophies teach publishers about gameplay habits?

Playing Ace Attorney on PS4, the first trophy is literally presented to you as soon as you boot the game up.  There is no way to avoid getting it.

Yet 1.2% of players apparently haven't got it yet.

I wonder if the 1.2% bought it digitally (and are therefore confirmed purchasers) but haven't played it yet.

38 minutes ago, bum said:

Playing Ace Attorney on PS4, the first trophy is literally presented to you as soon as you boot the game up.  There is no way to avoid getting it.

I wonder if the 1.2% bought it digitally (and are therefore confirmed purchasers) but haven't played it yet.

Trophy lists don't show up on your profile until the game has been booted.

Resident Evil 2 Remake is blowing my theories out of the water.  The trophies I have won through normal play have much higher percentages than the other games.  I'd assumed that in-store demo pods, overnight rentals and so on were skewing the figures, but RE2 has way higher percentages than the other games I mentioned.  Seems pretty much everyone who booted the game up went on to do at least half a story, and of course as it's a new release there will be loads of people still working their way through it.

Basically, everyone's loving RE2 by the looks of it.

5 hours ago, bum said:

There's no explanation for the 1.2% then.

I wonder if it could be possible on guest accounts, or booting the game but aborting before it's loaded. Still odd.

I noticed one the other day that I found interesting - only 12% of players have completed the tutorial in King of Fighters XIV.

I guess there'll be a certain amount who never played the tutorial, but that still seems very low. There's one lesson in there that wants you to cancel a DP into a super which could be tricky if you're not used to that sort of thing, but on the whole you'd think KoF appeals more to the fighting game fan than the casual player so if that's the issue you've got to wonder if that information might make them look at making the inputs more lenient next time around?

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

Resident Evil 2 Remake is blowing my theories out of the water.  The trophies I have won through normal play have much higher percentages than the other games.  I'd assumed that in-store demo pods, overnight rentals and so on were skewing the figures, but RE2 has way higher percentages than the other games I mentioned.  Seems pretty much everyone who booted the game up went on to do at least half a story, and of course as it's a new release there will be loads of people still working their way through it.

Basically, everyone's loving RE2 by the looks of it.

Something similar happened to me with Shenmue recently on XB - a significant and stable % went through the game from start to finish and there wasn't the usual drop-off.  I put that down to returning players (like myself) who more or less remembered how to drive the game forward.  RE2 probably also benefited from this.

When I approve invites to RPG addicts I scroll through achievements lists of the applicants and see many, many 0/1000 instances listed.  This could be down to a number of factors - game pass, game share etc but these instances will presumably affect the % accomplishments.

Then there are games which appear to register in early access but don't grant achievements until full release - like We Happy Few - when I played this on release all achievements however simple and early were rare.

On 16/02/2019 at 18:30, Alex W. said:

Am I right in thinking that the data we can see as players (trophies, total play times) is just the tip of the iceberg in terms of what the developers actually get back? I remember in the Half-Life 2 commentary tracks they had all this detail about how they fine-tuned the game design based on precise information about exactly how players had gone through the previous episodes, and AI In Games had this terrific video about how they learned from how different players approached different aspects of the Tomb Raider games:

Imagine what you could do with that data in a sequel to an open world game, consequences for stupid unscripted things they discovered people got up to...

Gameplay analytics is a huge field. I did my dissertation on it. The state of the art has moved on a lot since then but examples like that Tomb Raider study and the deep dives Bungie were doing during the Halo years are really fascinating.

18 hours ago, bum said:

I tried this again on my wife's account, to make sure I remembered it correctly  The sequence is:

Boot up the game.  You are treated to a screen that says "Press O to continue".

Do that, and the next screen asks you if you want to start a new game.  That is the only option so far, as there are no saved games to continue.

Next, you choose which of the three games in the trilogy you want to play.  As soon as you press O to select one, you get a bronze trophy.

So it wasn't quite as soon as you boot up, I suppose, but it is baffling that 1% of players actually quit before getting to that point.

My wife is quite happy, though - she got a bronze trophy for nothing - doesn't play that many games, so always wants easy one to improve her level.  And I might actually platinum a game for once, as there's no online play.  So far I've only platinumed one, which was Ashes 09.

Just trying Rare Replay on the Xbox One, picked it up cheap.  If you want to earn some gamerscore this is a very generous title.  Its beautifully presented too, with individual menus for each game, music, options and so on.  How disappointing it must surely be for the devs that I'm earning rare trophies for merely starting the games. 97% of players haven't started all the Jetman games, 91% of players never started Solar Jetman alone. Wonder if it was a bundle game and people loaded it, tried one game and turned it off.  Every game gets you an achievement just by starting it, you get achievements for starting games of the same aeries, an achievement for loading every game.  I mean, you'd think people would be curious, but most of the games appear to have been ignored by 80 to 90% of the audience. 

• Upvote 1

I bought it for Jet Force Gemini, RC Pro Am and RC Pro Am2 and a couple of others.  There are definitely a few that I haven't tried yet.

On 14/02/2019 at 18:40, dumpster said:

Does this provide evidence of games being too big, and will publishers perhaps move back to making games more completable?

I finished Uncharted: The Lost Legacy the other day, something which apparently only 51% of players have done. It's six hours long.

I think the Souls games generally have similar completion percentages despite being super long and having a reputation for difficulty (hard to be totally accurate since they tend to give achievements for specific endings) so I'm not sure what could be read into all this really. Probably that half the players will end up sacking your game off for one reason or another no matter what you do.

A percentage of players finishing a game could be skewed by newcomers who haven't had a chance, and people play at different rates. With date information, you may be able to get a reasonable idea as to when the player first and last played a game. Those are metrics I imagine Microsoft and Sony store regardless of whether or not they display them to the end user. Achievement dates though could be used to gauge the rate of progress and determine if the player has abandoned the game entirely, or is still in the process of playing it, improving the statistics.