rllmuk
mdn2

Tetris 99 - Tetris Battle Royale. Read First Post for Hints. DLC Out Now!

5 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Okay ...

I know that some are Earthbound Tetris gods, and we mere mortals can only watch on in awe. I also know, better than anybody, that there is a huge temptation for people who get beaten by what is just better play to look externally for things to blame other than "I'm just not good enough." Often, this comes down to "That other player MUST be cheating!" This is natural, I read it daily.

I'm not saying that this player was cheating. But, WHAT THE FUCK?

The top tier players will do that to you. They have an understanding of starting setups we can't even begin to comprehend. The likelihood is, they set up a T-Spin - Tetris combo in the time it took you to lay those pieces. 

In other news, got a third place today after being in a battle with two others for what felt like an eternity. Initially pissed that I only got third, then saw the two who beat me go at it for another few minutes. I don't think there was any way I was winning that one. So will take that third as a victory!

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, mwaawm said:

A t spin rotates a block in a way that would be impossible in real life.

Also they never explain where these blocks come from, or why. It's unrealistic.

• Upvote 8

I’m  rubbish at this, if I get in the top 50 I’m amazed :(

Excuse the noob question but I take it once the grey lines are on your screen you can’t get rid of them.

13 hours ago, Yiggy said:

125 games played and still no win. More top 5’s tonight. 

It just falls to pieces when I hit the top 5. Blocks fall too fast. 

I take it you just have to have tetrises ready to go right at the end to get bang bang bang knockouts? Being at the bottom of the screen getting singles at that point just doesn’t seem an option because you get hammered with massive garbage. 

Not at all, just survive.

3 minutes ago, scoobysi said:

I’m  rubbish at this, if I get in the top 50 I’m amazed :(

Excuse the noob question but I take it once the grey lines are on your screen you can’t get rid of them.

You clear them like any other line.

They can be wonderful for adding to a combo or getting a free Tetris. 

6 minutes ago, bradigor said:

You clear them like any other line.

They can be wonderful for adding to a combo or getting a free Tetris. 

Oh yeah, I just tend not to be able to get to them because of all my blocks!

3 hours ago, wretcherd said:

Also they never explain where these blocks come from, or why. It's unrealistic.

Physical blocks cannot be rotated past each other the way a t spin does.... I think even in the game I don't think any of the other blocks can be rotated through adjoining blocks to complete lines in the same way that the t spin is allowed to which is completely inconsistent.

The New Tetris ( best version by far ) added a whole extra layer of strategy with its gold and silver blocks but did not resort to rewarding a t spin gimmick.

You could say the game rules allow it but official rules can ruin gameplay as I discovered how much I hated the official rules of scrabble when I played against the AI on my DS and encountered its endless use of  Scots/yank/any language you care to name slang words 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, mwaawm said:

Physical blocks cannot be rotated past each other the way a t spin does.... I think even in the game I don't think any of the other blocks can be rotated through adjoining blocks to complete lines in the same way that the t spin is allowed to which is completely inconsistent.

All blocks , well apart from squares, can be hooked into place. 

To me, T-spins work because there’s no in between part of a rotation. Take an I piece as a really simple example: it’s either vertical or horizontal, there’s not an animation where it’s diagonal for a bit.

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, Danster said:

All blocks , well apart from squares, can be hooked into place. 

I clearly need to practice more and treat the game less as an abstracted tangram exercise.

Hopefully they'll introduce an option to choose between rule variants at some point in the future

I am watching Wumbo on Twitch right now as he is on a 230+ win streak.... also because i was feeling good about my most recent wi, so needed bringing back down to earth. 

Anyway, He gets All-Clears like I get single lines. I have a feeling I need to learn how to aim for All-Clears early game, rather than building for T-Spins, Tetris' and combos. I'd be happy just getting one. 

• Upvote 2

I mean.... sure I'll take it. I just don't quite know how it happened. I really feel like I cheated the poor person in 2nd. 

That was the complete opposite of my last win. 

Now my wife is addicted to it and keeps wanting to play. All i can say is thank fuck she hasn’t got a win yet. 153 games in for me and still awaiting the elusive victory. 

Its starting to affect my brain a bit now. 

I'm glad to have finally gotten a win after a couple of eternities passing since all my friends got theirs. It's losin ma V.L. all over again. I got win shortly after too! How lovely. Then 78th for.my hundredth game. Getting far more total poundings; out in the first 30 a few times tonight.

I would say i'm average at Tetris & my placements so far would seem to bear that out.  I usually get into the top 50, sometimes the top 30, & once into the top 10, whereupon I immediately got overwhelmed by both the speed & the garbage blocks.

I still love it though.  It's Tetris, & Tetris is awesome.

I'm improving I think, I now wait until I've got a few Tetris's to drop before targeting attackers mostly I'll set it to randoms. Also much easier playing on a TV where you can see other players screens properly.

This is amazing. I laughed with disdain during the Direct, but it's amazing fun.

Started off in the 70s, 80s, and now my best is 6th.

19 minutes ago, Stanley said:

I'm improving I think, I now wait until I've got a few Tetris's to drop before targeting attackers mostly I'll set it to randoms. Also much easier playing on a TV where you can see other players screens properly.

Sooner rather than later, you'll want to target Attackers from the get go, as you'll become a target for a lot of 'random' and 'badges'

• Upvote 1

Yes, it targets those who are nearing being knocked out. 

Badges targets people with, er, badges. If you knock them out you get their badges. 

I have no idea what good tactics are but I like whamming it on KOs from the start, then about half way through sticking it on Attackers. Or vice versa actually. I think you get more 'bang for your buck' targeting attackers right? Presuming there are a few targeting you.

• Upvote 1