mdn2

Tetris 99 - Tetris Battle Royale. Free Switch Download. Read First Post for Hints and Tips

What are Gold and Silver blocks?

I hit a real hurdle yesterday. So far I have been playing just making lines, and I've got a little faster at doing that. I have played 600 games now and have 15 wins. I feel like I have improved. It was easy to ignore T-Spins because I had no real idea in my mind how to do them. 

Then, I went and watched a really basic explainer video of T-Spins and now it's like I'm playing from the beginning really slowly trying to figure out how blocks fit together. And I still can't get it right, but I did manage like 3 or 4 in one game!

• Upvote 2

Gold and Silver's were introduced in The New Tetris on N64.

Exact 4x4 composed if 4 identical shapes (4i, 4t, 4squares, 4L) forms gold nugget

Exact 4x4 composed of a mixture of shapes yeilds silver nugget.

Clearing lines that included bits of gold or silver yeilds bonus.

Makes for more interesting risk v reward mechanics and none of the tomfoolery of Tspins, in fact T spins would actually be punished in the game as certain combinations using Tspin would cost you existing gold/silver you'd built.

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

I hit a real hurdle yesterday. So far I have been playing just making lines, and I've got a little faster at doing that. I have played 600 games now and have 15 wins. I feel like I have improved. It was easy to ignore T-Spins because I had no real idea in my mind how to do them. 

Then, I went and watched a really basic explainer video of T-Spins and now it's like I'm playing from the beginning really slowly trying to figure out how blocks fit together. And I still can't get it right, but I did manage like 3 or 4 in one game!

After a while you'll see the T-Spin opportunities naturally and just find yourself doing them in your normal play. It will feel very forcec to start though. 

Interesting fact: I still cannot do a T-Spin Triple, no matter how hard I try. 

• Upvote 2

A lobby I was in yesterday had 70 players in it before it suddenly added 29 CPU players, all of which had ‘CPU’ and a number in their name. So that answers something I’ve been wondering about since launch.

4 hours ago, bradigor said:

After a while you'll see the T-Spin opportunities naturally and just find yourself doing them in your normal play. It will feel very forcec to start though. 

Interesting fact: I still cannot do a T-Spin Triple, no matter how hard I try. 

I’ve done precisely 2 T-Spin Triples outside of openings. Opening wise I’ve done hundreds between various versions.

6 hours ago, sir stiff_one said:

Great video. Made them seem very simple, and I did my first one in the first game I played after watching it. Done quite a few more since then, too!

What’s the point of them though? Why are they a ‘thing’?

A T-Spin double sends/clears the same amount of garbage as a Tetris, but requires less pieces to set up allowing for more garbage to be sent from the same number of pieces.

8 minutes ago, Paulando said:

Great video. Made them seem very simple, and I did my first one in the first game I played after watching it. Done quite a few more since then, too!

What’s the point of them though? Why are they a ‘thing’?

A T-Spin double sends as much garbage as a Tetris in less lines. 

2 hours ago, Jonster said:

I’ve done precisely 2 T-Spin Triples outside of openings. Opening wise I’ve done hundreds between various versions.

I think that is something I should do next, get a T-Spin triple opening and practice that way. 

Been trying some new strategies and failing miserably. Went back to basics and won instantly!

Really need that practice mode soon!

FUCKING HELL FINALLY

A sudden wave of calm washes over me.

And after 300 games of no wins at all, I win my first two games in a single evening, literally about four games apart.

• Upvote 7

51 minutes ago, Jonster said:

This is my usual one:

8BE7EA7D-F88D-4B5C-A4E6-6810CB864898.thumb.jpeg.afd4cfdea90817d688a6b0627150265a.jpeg

But theres more examples here: https://harddrop.com/wiki/DT_Cannon (TKI Signature is the other one I know well)

Am I being thick. How is that getting you the triple? You have two space gap on the left. 

Edit: Ignore me... that a double into a triple isn't it. 

Edit Edit: Looks like someone will be spending time in PPT again. 

Edit Edit Edit: I did it!!!!

I realised my long term mistake. I was trying to spin alternate ways with each spin. 

• Upvote 2

Current goal is 50 wins by the time I’ve played 200 games. Certainly doable, and this afternoon’s session was 3 wins from 6 games. 

I’m having mixed success with a new baiting strategy. In the early game I’m foregoing openings and perfect clears to stack as neatly and as high as possible, as quickly as possible. This gets everyone targeting KO to target me and with sufficient attackers means a single line clear is worth around 8-10 garbage lines. Set to attackers this lets me attack a large number of people at the same time, my current record is 12 KOs out of the first 49. This can have the downside of being the badge leader though, but it usually results in multiple attackers that can be dealt with because of the increased power from badges and being targeted.

I say mixed success because if someone is baiting better you’re just sitting at the top of the screen not getting any kills. There is also the danger of getting a large attack come your way when you’re unprepared, that’s happened a couple of times but it’s mostly due to poor structuring.

• Upvote 4

This as actually only gone and made me dig my GameBoy out play the original Tetris on that. Whilst I absolutely love Tetris 99 sometimes you just want to chill to a game of Tetris without any interference... :) I kind of find Tetris quite a relaxing therapeutic experience.... Think the GameBoy one is still one of the finest versions ever made of Tetris.  

Yeah, Tafo is really good. I've tried doing that, but I cannot react quick enough when the targeting starts

My main issue at the moment is I am now trying to just do T-Spin Triple openers, or Perfect Clear openers, rather than just playing. Then making silly mistakes in the mid-game. 

1 hour ago, GC Zombie said:

This guy deliberately builds his stack to get targeted by people set to KOs and murders them. 40 KOs in 1 game!

That's just ridiculous. He's some kind of Tetris savant, I don't even have time to register what's coming up next while he's watching the other boards, reading chat and playing like a motherfucker. :blink:

2 hours ago, GC Zombie said:

This guy deliberately builds his stack to get targeted by people set to KOs and murders them. 40 KOs in 1 game!

This is what I was trying to describe, and is also the best implementation of it I’ve seen.