Tetris 99 - 31st Event: Kirby's Dream Buffet

MW_Jimmy

1 minute ago, grindmouse said:

Nobody complained about Puyo Puyo Tetris: Use the stick of left and right, hard drop and rotate are on buttons.

Being forced to use the d-pad for L-R is horrible.

Nooooo. Digital controls all the way!

3 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

Well... it worked for Puyo Tetris, which feels great to play and was unanimously regarded as the best Tetris game in years, and there are enough buttons on the controller to give players the option.

I've never played with analogue, will give it a go later and see how it feels. 

But yeah, I was taking the piss a bit, options should be there for those that want them. 

2 hours ago, ZOK said:

I had a few goes on this this morning and the best I managed was 52! I was playing with the Pro controller though, and seemed to be hard dropping unintentionally all over the place, which certainly didn’t help. I think the Joycon buttons may solve that problem.

Aye, I was doing that.  Kept muffing up near-perfect games with a hastily dropped piece that messed everything up.

Might try with the joy cons.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

Why in the actual buggery would you want to use sticks to play Tetris? You maniac. 

My kids do this, it hurts me inside.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Well... it worked for Puyo Tetris, which feels great to play and was unanimously regarded as the best Tetris game in years, and there are enough buttons on the controller to give players the option.

But you can also plat PPT the correct way with digital buttons. 

12 minutes ago, joffocakes said:

Analogue sticks are fine for 2D games if that's what you're more comfortable with. Some of the best Street Fighter players I know use the analogue stick.

Every game should offer a choice of controls wherever possible for accessibility's sake.

They probably felt the ease/quickness of selecting your target with the stick was preferable to how awkward it'd be doing it with buttons.

1 hour ago, sir stiff_one said:

The joycons work well because of the separate buttons, though accidental hard drops do still occur and they are so painful :(

Before I left I noticed you can turn hard drops off in the options menu, anyone tried this? 

I’m assuming it’s impossible to win with it off - but I’d still probably do better than 52!

1 minute ago, JPickford said:

Thread reminds of everyone who goes on holiday to Vegas and claims to be 'slightly up' on the gambling.

Alright, truth is we're all able to beat a bunch of 8 year olds who've probably never played Tetris again, then when it gets down to the 10 adults playing we fail miserably. Just let us have our brief moment of glory!

27 minutes ago, ZOK said:

Before I left I noticed you can turn hard drops off in the options menu, anyone tried this? 

I’m assuming it’s impossible to win with it off - but I’d still probably do better than 52!

I did at first yeah, but it takes about 8000 years to place a piece to the floor.

23 hours ago, MagicalDrop said:

I won a game! I don't quite understand everything that's going on but my, how things have come a long way since I used to play original Gameboy Tetris head to head with a link lead in my lunchbreak. Brilliant freebie and the perfect way for them to entice more online subscribers to the service. 

Name checks out. :lol:

I played three games last night - came fourth on my second which is not too bad! I had no idea about the other things posted in this thread though, I’ll play with all that tonight and see how I fare. 

This is most decidedly not a game for those with heart conditions though. Feckin’ tense stuff once you get near the top and things start speeding up to panic-inducing speeds!

Was pleased by this one (and meant to post it here earlier). Watching back it looks like the player who came forth had no kills, and I don’t think I would’ve won so quickly if one of the others got the kill on the fifth place player.

6 hours ago, mdn2 said:

Hold a piece back. I started doing that last night at it improved my game loads. 

This made such a massive difference, keeping that long piece in reserve. Managed another 4th last night. I've been alternating my response using the right stick between KO and Attackers, not sure if that helped. But I managed to survive better last night, which was interesting.

What's interesting about getting into the last 10 is that it now transcends any tactics and is now about the fact that my brain can't keep up any more. Like, things hitting the deck almost before I've had time to shuffle them left or right, although you can spin them for ages after they land. I'm not sure my Tetris skills are up to par once I'm top ten, even without the BR mechanic.

I can't stop playing it. Genius title, they'd have shifted loads more Online subs with this game from the off, although I'm sure they've since shifted many subs :) Everyone seems to be talking about it.

53 minutes ago, probotector said:

This thread proves that even Tetris can be controversial.

No Analogue controls?

At least it has HD Rumble?

The analogue sticks are used for selecting opponents to whom you want to send garbage lines. 

24 minutes ago, jiroczech said:

The menu screens look like they've left plenty of space for additional features, I wonder what's they'll be?

https://www.gonintendo.com/stories/328826-dataminers-discover-new-modes-on-the-way-to-tetris-99

There's only one mode to play right now, which pits you against 98 other players. Thanks to some dataminers out there, we now know that other modes are on the way.

- "Team Battle": Two giant teams clash. Be on the winning side!" 
- "COM Battle": "Battle against 98 bots. Defeat the machines!" (supports both 99 Battle and Team Battle) 
- "Marathon": score attack -> 200 lines or endless 
- Marathon will support in-game achievements. 
- in-game events in the standard 99 Battle mode 
- these will result in some sort of reward