Tetris 99 - 31st Event: Kirby's Dream Buffet

MW_Jimmy

2 minutes ago, Hylian said:

Can someone explain what defensive play means? 

Look at who is attacking you and aim your junk at them, at a guess anyway. I just leave it set as random as I seem to get the best results that way, but there does appear to be quite a big random element to that anyway. Sometimes I'll start off being targeted by multiple attackers and in no time my screen is full with seemingly no realistic chance of defending myself.

12 minutes ago, Hylian said:

When people send you their junk it doesn’t appear in your well straight away. A level meter appears to the left indicating that that level of blocks is going to drop onto your screen shortly. Rather than getting Multiple lines to keep banging junk over to your opponents you can wait until you’re about to get a load of junk yourself then bang out the multiples. This then reduces the incoming junk on your screen. So rather than attacking others you have a defensive system to stop yourself getting hit. 

13 minutes ago, Hylian said:

I'm using it to mean setting up to clear lines when junk is being sent your way to get rid of that, rather than going on the attack and sending junk on to others. It's a very basic strategy that I've had some success with. 

Edit: what @Yiggy said much better than I did.

Yeah I hit 2nd last night but my god this game was getting annoying towards the end.

With normal tetris I like to build up enough to get 4 rows etc and quite often I work my way up to the top and then work my way back down to nothing.

This is unforgiving there, if you have 3/4 up the screen then your done for because so many people just go for the ko option. In fact at a couple of points last night I had 6 players attacking me and the screen was only half full (so presumably because I was the closest to "losing").

That said, it's nice when you just attack your attackers and get a couple of lines of 4 and smash them all back :lol:

12 minutes ago, Hylian said:

You can set the auto-targeting to select people who are targeting you (it’s the only way to target multiple people at once). The garbage you then send is split between them. If you’re not clearing garbage that’s been sent to you, your attackers then have to clear the garbage before they can attack you again. 

Alternatively it means keeping an I piece in reserve to make a Tetris to clear any garbage sent to you if needed.

3 minutes ago, Luseth said:

This is unforgiving there, if you have 3/4 up the screen then your done for because so many people just go for the ko option.

Not strictly true. If you have set up well enough you can turn this around completely into a devastating attack. 

10 minutes ago, Jonster said:

Alternatively it means keeping an I piece in reserve to make a Tetris to clear any garbage sent to you if needed.

By reserve do you mean you can hold a piece back in reserve or keep a slot ready for when your next I piece turns up?

Edit: Doh, I only just realised you can do that. If I had realised that last night I'd have smashed so many more games :doh:

I had a few goes on this this morning and the best I managed was 52! I was playing with the Pro controller though, and seemed to be hard dropping unintentionally all over the place, which certainly didn’t help. I think the Joycon buttons may solve that problem.

4 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Not strictly true. If you have set up well enough you can turn this around completely into a devastating attack. 

This is true. I was badge leader in a game this morning and was targeted by 5 people for what seemed like a long time. I managed to KO all of them (I had KO’s 12-8) when I was back under control.

1 minute ago, Luseth said:

By reserve do you mean you can hold a piece back in reserve or keep a slot ready for when your next I piece turns up?

Keep a gap open ready for a Tetris but instead of making it when the I piece turns up, Hold the I piece and use it when you have garbage incoming. It’s possible to keep a Tetris ready in reserve and still make Tetrises offensively if you build high enough.

Just now, Stanley said:

You can't retrieve it imediately with your next piece, maybe that's what it was,?

No, I tried to retrieve it a few times. Probably just cackhandedness, as by that point the screen was filling with junk and it was all over anyway!

8 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Three 3’s and a 2nd. I’ve been getting kicked quite a bit so packing it in for the night. It really does capture the battle royale feeling of the circle closing right at the end when the speed goes nuts. They’ve got the intensity perfect. 

Are people able to actually look at other players screens to see who to target after the top 50 because I find I can’t take my eyes off the central screen. 

Yeah I don't get this, are people actually able to look at the other peoples screens and stuff? I just set the thing to target attackers then play tetris.

Got two or three seconds last night, including a long 1v1 which I lost :(

Just now, merrychan said:

Do you have to wait long to get a game in this if it truly requires 98 others or is it more like Tetris98Bots?

Longest wait I have had is 10 seconds or so. 

This morning I totally forgot how to play Tetris it seems. Loads of finished between 20-70 :lol: 

To be fair I was experimenting with 4-Wide starts and seeing how well I could combo under pressure. Then kept fucking up my T-Spin Double setups.

One did go very well though, ended up in a third place finish. I slow played a 4-Wide, got hit with two hits of 4x Garbage (8 rows), had a long piece on hold.... Combo, Combo, Combo, Combo to clear my lines, Tetris, Tetris. Managed to KO three in a row. Felt good!

Dataminers have found three additional modes.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/tetris_99_datamine_suggests_three_new_modes_will_be_added_in_a_future_update

Team Battle": Two giant teams clash. Be on the winning side!"

COM Battle": "Battle against 98 bots. Defeat the machines!" (supports both 99 Battle and Team Battle)
"Marathon": score attack -> 200 lines or endless

All I want is a Splatoon skin where each Tetris is accompanied by ‘woomy!’.

2 minutes ago, DC Lemon said:

Dataminers have found three additional modes.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/02/tetris_99_datamine_suggests_three_new_modes_will_be_added_in_a_future_update

All I want is a Splatoon skin where each Tetris is accompanied by ‘woomy!’.

Bagsy @Jonster for Team Battle.

In all seriousness. Thise are some excellent additions. Makes it a pretty much fully fledged Tetris as part of you online sub. Nintendo have hit on something here. I hope we see more smaller value adds like this moving forward. 

Sure we can have all the '99 variants of games. But they could also do Daily Mario Picross, Sudoku, Slitherlink, Mario Maker Level of the Day, etc.  

• MW_Jimmy changed the title to Tetris 99 - 31st Event: Kirby's Dream Buffet