IGNORED

Tetris 99 - 29th Event: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

MW_Jimmy

@David Heath Sunday mornings I find to be best but, probably not going to like this, but winning in Invictus is probably easier than in normal mode. It is nearly always a 1/3 to 1/2 full of human players which makes the rest easy to exploiting - I find choosing KOs is nessessary at the outset to get a few KOs for yourself before switching to Attackers.

Been a dearth of new content for a while now. Kinda missing new events and skins...

On 19/04/2020 at 13:06, MW_Jimmy said:

@David Heath Sunday mornings I find to be best but, probably not going to like this, but winning in Invictus is probably easier than in normal mode. It is nearly always a 1/3 to 1/2 full of human players which makes the rest easy to exploiting - I find choosing KOs is nessessary at the outset to get a few KOs for yourself before switching to Attackers.

Been a dearth of new content for a while now. Kinda missing new events and skins...

It's weird, I'm finishing in the top 30 most of the time, and the top 50 passes in what seems like an instant, but from 30 onwards it's a struggle. Often I can sneak into the top 20 without much issue, but I tend to find that inside the top 30 it's only a matter of time until someone spam garbages me into oblivion. The few times I've finished in the top 10 have all felt a bit like I didn't deserve to be there.

I've never practiced T-Spins so I'm relying on standard tactics, and it's I know it's only a matter of time, but I also know that victory will feel so good.

I think it's much harder to fluke a win on Invictus and if you try sneaking into the top 10 without any kills or player heat before then, you are going to really struggle. If I'm not under attack and actively defending/attacking early on I can guarantee I'll be out around position 49-30. Definitely learn the most basic t-spins as it's 5 lines instead of 2:

Like that new theme - as someone who is playing Ring Fit Adventure and not Animal Crossing I approve! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nope, can't stand it, OK, so I don't have the AC love that otehrs do, but then neither did I have any love for Splatoon 2, but that is the default theme for me, looks like I'll only be playing evil mode of this till the normal theme choices return, got 1st on my 2nd attempt, so have secured it and thus my complete set of themes remain, but back off to Splatoon theme I go :)

3 minutes ago, Stanley said:

What’s the Animal Crossing stuff, just seen the thread title? 

There's a free Animal Crossing themed skin if you play the game this weekend and get 100 points. 

40 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If multiple people target you it’s impossible and absolutely down to luck even if you’re a Tetris god. People can just dump a dozen rows on you in seconds.

I don’t understand how this mode is a good version of Tetris.

And that’s before you get into the lack of control options or standard local vs mode.

Wrong. Can deal with 16 at a time and it is manageable. 3-5 is a nice amount to do damage back. 10 is a wet dream. 

Every single line clear pauses the garbage and you can reduce the amount and even reverse it if you get a decent combo going. You just need to play around that and be ready to use the stack properly. 

2 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

How? Is it down to timing? Waiting until their attacks are fully charged and deflecting them?

Consistently landing Top 20-30 with a near empty play area and within seconds it's gone to shit full of grey blocks.

What is your strategy? Are you targeting KOs? Attackers? Badges? or Random?

Do you set up a 2, 3 or 4-wide well? Focus on T-Spins? How big are you getting your stack before clearing?

If you go for normal singles or doubles (or even Tetris') without also thinking about combos, that will cause you to be screwed pretty quickly. 

Are you adjusting your strategy based on where the game is? For example...

I go for KOs early with an opening setup for a T-Spin triple double, Triple, which I then move into a 3-wide well and try to follow up with a 5+ combo. I then switch that up to be more conservative and mini combos to fend off those who then target me. Then adjust once again into the end game based on the amount of badges I have. 

You of course need to prepared to adjust oh the fly too. Especially if you get a lot of garbage. But you can then use that to your own advantage to combo down then hit a couple of Tetris clears to finish that combo. 

I've hit 220 odd wins and countless top 10 finishes. @sir stiff_one consistently gets wins and it is not down to luck. Watch the likes of Tafo and Wumbo and see who they consistently win too. 

54 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If multiple people target you it’s impossible

Press Down on the right stick to select Attackers when this happens and you get a multiplier to everything you send. It's glorious when you can turn the tide.

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

If multiple people target you it’s impossible and absolutely down to luck even if you’re a Tetris god. People can just dump a dozen rows on you in seconds.

I don’t understand how this mode is a good version of Tetris.

And that’s before you get into the lack of control options or standard local vs mode.

This is a funny thing because I’ve heard many beginners saying they wish they weren’t targeted by so many people, yet for every single experienced player they want exactly that and they don’t want to lose the attackers.

If the game is unbalanced, it’s because of how strong the attacker bonus is.

If you are targeted, spam single line clears over and over and you’ll be golden.

I mean, the only real way to give any decent feedback is to watch your gameplay videos. I’d be happy to do that. I’m not an expert but I have almost 1000 wins and 100 Invictus wins.

The chances are that you are just not making the best decisions when it comes to laying blocks. In T99, every consecutive line clear will delay garbage, you if you can downstack (clear your screen by making lines) while maintaining a combo, it can quickly turn the tables on attackers. It also means that it can be beneficial to downstack by clearing singles instead of say doubles or triples, because once you hit a combo of 5 you’ll start to send out bonus lines.

Grindmouse, I’ve put in 1000 hours and I can see before, although I thought I was quite handy, actually I was ... not. And it also helps me realise actually I’m still very far from the best players. 

I did manage this nice downstack into PC tho the other week.

• 2 weeks later...