IGNORED

Tetris 99 - 29th Event: Kirby and the Forgotten Land

MW_Jimmy

I’m enjoying being carried in this team event by random Japanese gods very well.

Scraping into the top 10 in this mode is a personal victory and then I fall to pieces at the thought of being spectated.

It’s much more relaxing to spectate team mates like this avenging me on the way to another undeserved 50 points. :coffee:

ELv_1PrU4AEA-sR.jpg

I went back and played some Tetris 99 recently and was pretty consistently second or thereabouts. A win eluded me but it was nice to see customisable controls!

Just a heads up that PuyoPuyo Tetris is on sale on both PS4 and Switch. The former is under £7, and the latter just over £10. A bargain at both prices.

• 2 weeks later...

So, Team Battle mode. We were doing some streaming sessions and joining the same team and came up with this idea of having one member join a different team, then we all target that person to give attacker bonus and have them wipe out the other teams. As the game draws on we take out the badge leaders and other players on the team our mole is on until only our player remains. When they are the last one standing they suicide to give the win to the stream team. It frikking worked really well. So broken. 

I’ve noticed a couple of things recently. I reckon I used to get wins on around 150 lines, which crept up to 180. I would say 200+ is now normal for winning a regular T99 match. 

The other thing was that I’m getting around 20ish T Spins per game, mainly doubles. Last time I was checking it was more like 10. I guess I just see the opportunities more frequently now. 

Still improving, still enjoying it.

One question for Puyo Puyo Tetris players (as you’re likely to be here also), you know you can switch the AI to ‘hard mode’, or ‘core AI’? So I will do that and choose Lemres or one of the ‘better’ players to play against and I reckon I win about 50% of the time if I’m being optimistic. Are you guys beating them every time? What am I missing here?

On 02/01/2020 at 01:35, sir stiff_one said:

One question for Puyo Puyo Tetris players (as you’re likely to be here also), you know you can switch the AI to ‘hard mode’, or ‘core AI’? So I will do that and choose Lemres or one of the ‘better’ players to play against and I reckon I win about 50% of the time if I’m being optimistic. Are you guys beating them every time? What am I missing here?

I’ve just spent nearly an hour playing against Core Lemres to test.

I lost probably the first five matches. I tried racing Tetrises mostly. Then had some luck with DT cannon setups, where I could keep on the offence after. All clears helped but weren’t a guarantee of winning. After I’d warmed up my win rate went up to around 80% - the biggest factor was if I made a mistake or not but was not a certainty either way. I could even keep up with straight Tetris races. I think the secret (unfortunately) is clean fast play, if you can get a lot of garbage sent quickly that can end the match early. Clean digging helps, especially if you can use the garbage for Tetrises or T-Spins. Getting a lengthy combo while digging can be very useful too.

It’s a lot of fun to play against though, had some very lengthy games so it feels like a really good training method for keeping intensity up.

That’s super interesting, I have work to do.

I think I need to force myself to play faster. Sometimes I’ll absolutely destroy the AI, and sometimes we just have a long old match where I’m comfortably clearing and t spinning and not really getting anywhere and it goes to 100k points until I make too many mistakes.

• 2 weeks later...

It took a while and I was stuck on 199 for an age, but I finally hit 200 wins!

t99-200.jpg.334a97e6e4c13b474ec5aadf7b4f5fa4.jpg

Had some pretty rough patches at times and went on massive droughts, but I love this game. 

I've changed my strategy up loads in recent weeks. Focussing on T-Spin triples and 3 wide combos. The 3-Wide has really helped me get through being targeted if I get some early KOs. 

I also found playing when children are asleep (or at school) helps for higher placing :lol: 

9 minutes ago, sir stiff_one said:

Oh yeah it’s Maximus Cup this weekend. Get yourself one entry every 100 points for the lottery to win 999 Nintendo points :)

It is? How did I miss that? I'll still not get the bonus though :lol: 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Last night was super lobbies night. Seriously. I finished 60th a couple of times then 80th a couple of times and one 34th. 

To get 34th I sent something like 530 lines.

The games take so long that I played and won 3 while waiting after being knocked out (and 3 just before as a warm up) 

2F42CD06-987F-47B0-916F-4C3A3F1F203E.jpeg