Tetris 99 - 25th Event: Monster Hunter Rise (8th-11th October)

MW_Jimmy

22 minutes ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

You literally can't defend it. 

You can. Be quicker than them, get some lines and you will hit them with the multi target bonuses as well as what you would get for the original line garbage. Not easy, but certainly doable. 

I am not great at doing that and have been fucked over many a time. 

10 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

There's something really fucked about this. I had eight People targeting me tight at the start. 

There's no way that should be able to happen unless they haven't balanced it at all. 

Not sure if this was in there from the start but noticed I was getting a bonus while being attacked by a bunch of people last night. Even single lines was getting me a three clear (I had no badges). 

Obviously this doesn’t help you right at the start or if you’re keeping your wall low but it highlights the importance of making sure you have some clear lines up and ready to go to fend off attacks.

Yeah after a few games where my wife was consistently getting first or second place I realised it was very hard but I just wasn't playing well enough. 

I've basically conditioned myself to go for Tetris all the time which is obviously the wrong strategy when you're under attack. 

2 hours ago, elmo said:

Not sure if this was in there from the start but noticed I was getting a bonus while being attacked by a bunch of people last night. Even single lines was getting me a three clear (I had no badges). 

Obviously this doesn’t help you right at the start or if you’re keeping your wall low but it highlights the importance of making sure you have some clear lines up and ready to go to fend off attacks.

You only get that bonus if you switch to 'attackers' and there are multiple people targeting you. 

The best I've managed is 4th, I think the issue is I'm just not that great at Tetris! It probably doesn't help that I usually only get time to play it after 11 at night, when I'm too tired for the level of focus it requires in the last 10.

3 hours ago, GokouD said:

You only get that bonus if you switch to 'attackers' and there are multiple people targeting you. 

The best I've managed is 4th, I think the issue is I'm just not that great at Tetris! It probably doesn't help that I usually only get time to play it after 11 at night, when I'm too tired for the level of focus it requires in the last 10.

Oh shit. That’s useful to know! Cheers

Finally back in the wins column after what feels like forever and it came out of nowhere. I actually thought the game had crashed. Looked at the final screen and saw I had knocked out 8th, 7th, 6th, 5th, 4th, 2nd

Seemed to go from final 10 to win in seconds. 

12 hours ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

Yeah after a few games where my wife was consistently getting first or second place I realised it was very hard but I just wasn't playing well enough. 

I've basically conditioned myself to go for Tetris all the time which is obviously the wrong strategy when you're under attack. 

What does this actually mean? 'Going for Tetris'? I thought a Tetris was just clearing a line, which is all I ever do. I also never touch the right stick because I have no idea what badges or KOs are. Is this something that's so obvious I should just know? The fact that there's no in game tutorial probably means it is.

Also sometimes my garbage meter thing (is there an actual name for this - no apparent explanation in game) fills up from nothing to three quarters full out of nowhere. It doesn't build up - it's just an instant dump that I can't possibly clear, sometimes when there's still 90 or so of us left. I don't get how so many people are consistently finishing top 10. My positions are wildly all over the place because of the seeming randomness of the way this garbage meter fills up.

I found out that there's a woman in my office who is a former World no.2 Tetris player (for some PC-based version of Tetris). She offered to win some games for me, the cheeky minx. I asked her for some tips and she said "play well"... so basically "git gud" :-D

Pressed further, she said "don't target random, cos that's pointless and make sure you have badges going into the last 10". Like I can think about stuff like that when I'm going into top 10!

Had a game tonight which ended up in a win, but spent most of it just surviving, before turning into an 11 KO win. Was intense. Very rarely have two similar games of this in any one night. It is pretty much a lock in for my Game of the Year.

• MW_Jimmy changed the title to Tetris 99 - 25th Event: Monster Hunter Rise (8th-11th October)