rllmuk
Keyboard Koala

Astral Chain - Out now and it's great!

I quite like that all the legions handle slightly differently. Sword and Arrow and quite nimble, beast can be a bit of a bugger, Arms is a bit heavier and slower, and Axe is the slowest of the lot.

It gives them all a bit of personality.

• Upvote 1

I've only just realised that the Legion abilities in the slots are activated by X and Y when ZL (or L2 as I think of it) is held down, I'd just been using lots of chain attacks and couldn't work out why abilities were marked X and Y when pressing that just made me waste items trying to use them in the middle of a frantic fight (most likely down to a tutorial I wasn't paying attention to). Breaking one free then summoning another one (and being able to control which one comes is next in the queue) is just so brilliant. It kind of reminds me of the different weapons in Bayonetta where I only really got the hang of a few combinations, in Astral Chain it's easy to fit them together however you prefer to play with the bonus of not having to remember a massive number of combos (at least so far...). It kind of feels like The Wonderful 101's combat system but made much more logical and accessible and so far is where I can feel Kamiya's influence very strongly. I do kind of hope the astral plane changes appearance later on or the combat arenas get more varied, while they're fun to play through the same red colour scheme in each one makes me wonder if it could get a bit tiresome.

Nobody can do amazing intros and levels where you think you've won only to be confronted by something even more crazy over and over again quite like Platinum, glad they've kept the intro screen giving the name of each new enemy as that always made it feel much more epic in Bayonetta rather than random fodder enemies popping up to pad for time. I also love how the side-missions aren't just down to wandering down every corridor on the off chance there's something to do, they'll be marked on your radar and you can do them or not. Although saying that so far I've apparently missed quite a few so I wouldn't be surprised if there's ones that aren't marked for you. Thank God for the ability to move between HQ floors without having to use the lift every time, I wonder was that added in during playtesting because I can imagine other games just leaving it in as is and disregarding wasting the player's time. I think it says a lot about the game that you want to use the training room even just to try some move and ability combinations that you've thought of while not even playing the game.

• Upvote 3

The last boss is a bit of a bastard. Will try again tomorrow.

In other news, I ran out of space on my in game photo album so deleted some shots. Then took the chance to look through my past pictures and it was like looking back story of my journey so far. Mostly via comedy selfies but still, quite nice.

8 hours ago, Strafe said:

The last boss is a bit of a bastard. Will try again tomorrow.

In other news, I ran out of space on my in game photo album so deleted some shots. Then took the chance to look through my past pictures and it was like looking back story of my journey so far. Mostly via comedy selfies but still, quite nice.

Is there any point saving photos in game rather than by using the standard Switch screenshot button?

Am I right in thinking you can activate a second Legion after you use the unchain ability of another one? :blink:

On File 7 and I have no idea how many times I am going replay this game but I am not sure I will ever see or understand everything the system has to offer!

As much as I’m enjoying this I wish they had left the stealth sections out. I’m just getting past them by trial and error rather than skill - and the camera isn’t really set up for it.

26 minutes ago, Monkeyspill said:

As much as I’m enjoying this I wish they had left the stealth sections out. I’m just getting past them by trial and error rather than skill - and the camera isn’t really set up for it.

You know you can just bind up every enemy with your chain, right?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

You know you can just bind up every enemy with your chain, right?

I’m not great at it. I find it quite awkward to control the legion, circling around an enemy that’s some distance from the camera. I often ended up missing them and getting caught. I fell off the ceiling struts a lot too while I was trying to legion jump to them. Maybe that’s my fault rather than the game’s fault but it got frustrating starting over each time I messed up.

11 hours ago, Monkeyspill said:

I’m not great at it. I find it quite awkward to control the legion, circling around an enemy that’s some distance from the camera. I often ended up missing them and getting caught. I fell off the ceiling struts a lot too while I was trying to legion jump to them. Maybe that’s my fault rather than the game’s fault but it got frustrating starting over each time I messed up.

You don’t need to have your legion out. It just prompts when you are near them to press ZL

13 minutes ago, pledge said:

You don’t need to have your legion out. It just prompts when you are near them to press ZL

I only noticed that when I was on the rafters. For some reason I thought I had to tie them up when I was on the same level. I’ve finished that bit now anyway and it wasn’t too hard in the end.

How are you supposed to destroy the laser generator pods? Noting seems to damage them, but I’ve had a handful randomly explode.

The ones on the metro trains, I mean.

7 minutes ago, Yuujiin said:
  Hide contents

Is there not a pod that controls them all. Take that out . You have to look around for it.

I couldn't find one anywhere :(

Taking a break from the story to spend some time sparing in the training room, learning the timings for synch attacks and seeing what each legion brings to the party. Once you slow things down it all starts to come together really nicely.